The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Isn't it time to give someone from Utica a chance instead of Eriksson?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Only the Kool-aid drinkers were okay with that signing.  The guy was 31 years old before he even played a game for us, go read the thread there were plenty of people unhappy with it.  

There's not many players around the league I would be okay with giving a 6 year deal too at the age of 31

Huge upvote here. I remember hating the signing .

17 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Because why would he come back? He clearly prefers the KHL. We soured a young, weak minded individual's experience. 

So, the fact that his agent is talking about Tryamkin potentially returning and that the Canucks have kept him on the reserve list so they could add him this season, you're just ignoring that?

He had a bad first experience, has admitted that he had some maturity issues when he was first here and has talked about returning to the NHL.

There's been articles and interviews published in the Province and other mainstream places. 

Where are you getting your information from, or are you just making it up as you go and trying to position your opinion as fact?

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I have to stop right there Mr Buzzsaw.  

Our goal scoring has been fine, we just can’t keep the puck out of our net.  

Listen to yourselves, you’re blaming all our problems on a forward that’s playing 4th line minutes and doing quite well as a DEFENSIVE forward.  

Didn’t we all watch the last two losses against Columbus? Breakdowns by Bo’s line with Jake on it led to two crucial goals against in both of the games.  

We also saw our 3rd line leave someone wide open in the middle of the ice for their second goal yesterday.  

We don’t need flashy offensive forwards like Goldy and Baer, we need better team defense.  

The time to complain about Loui has past. We’re stuck with his salary and he gives us a better chance to win then our 13th and 14th forwards because he plays good defense and is solid on the PK.  

This is pretty much it. Any fan with half a hockey brain knows the Canucks are a poor defensive team. Like Sven Baertschi or Mr. Neutral Zone Turnover himself Nikolay Goldobin is going to help that cause. Eriksson sucks but he’s the best option we have given the makeup of the team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Miller as a third liner.

So that’s not gonna happen...

Since when does Miller not click with Pettersson?

When a player is a great as Pettersson is, its on them to get it. No one else can do anything for Pettersson but Pettersson. He’s proven that against the Blue Jackets where he was getting roughed up all game until his seemingly unfair penalty.

The penalty was a penalty. But to Pettersson it was “why me now and never them?”. Then he turned it on.

Pettersson will solve Pettersson regardless of who is on his line. 

I don't see the lines as 1,2,3. I see them as thre scoring lines and dependent of how the game evolves different line gets more time. 

Miller crash down the boards and rarely seek to communicate withvPetey while attacking. 

I want the line to seek communication in order to outplay the other team, not just crash around and hope the commotion, or luck, create some space. 

Green is looking for lucky bounces and I don't like that. 

3 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

What happened to Gaudette? He's having a really good year in hos first full season in the NHL.

I've been really impressed as I think he will be  very important player for this team in the upcoming years. 

The depth of this team is great. 

I just forgot about him. 

• Like 1

Sry didnt read all the posts.

Jimbo basically said the utica guys are soon coming. But this season is this season. Canucks roster is set....sorry for the bad news.

Wish Utica well and wait for the fighting for roster spots next pre season that creates a new line up... There is no room for Loui next season , not sure how they handle it in the off season but it’s obvious they cant keep having old Loui in the line up. Not with better younger players ready to contribute.

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I won't say I predicted the level of performance we have seen, and being healthy scratched 1/3 of the time after half the contract...

But when I saw the numbers I shook my head at the length of the contract.  6M a season was...palatable...for maybe three years.  When I saw the term, I had flashbacks to Rick DiPietro.

Yeah those contracts are career killers.

Edited by Me_

It's too bad about us and LE. I actually like what he brings to the table. Unfortunately with us, it's all about the money. We'd love him if he.....

- clicked with the twins like he did in the Worlds...or......

- Was cheaper.

Any of those two scenarios and we would love him. But to the topic..............

I think Green ain't no dummy. He knows what LE brings to the table, and money be damned! Yea, sure. Let's bring up some Utica blood and give 'em a chance. I'm all for it, but does it guarantee a playoff berth? Not necessarily.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I don't see the lines as 1,2,3. I see them as thre scoring lines and dependent of how the game evolves different line gets more time. 

Miller crash down the boards and rarely seek to communicate withvPetey while attacking. 

I want the line to seek communication in order to outplay the other team, not just crash around and hope the commotion, or luck, create some space. 

Green is looking for lucky bounces and I don't like that. 

Are you talking about 27 goal-71pt Miller and the 27 goal-65pt Pettersson who have played the entire season together?

Or you mean they’re not clicking since Toffoli arrived, only recording 30 points in 9 games so far...

We must be watching a different team you and me.

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

PEARSON - PETTERSSON - BOESER

ERIKSSON - HORVAT - TOFFOLI

BÄRTSCHI - MILLER - VIRTANEN

MOTTE - BEAGLE - McEWEN

Roussel, Sutter

This can be a way to have three lethal lines, scoring wise, when Boeser is back. 

Miller doesn't click with Petey so I would change it in some way. 

Don't focus on wich lines is 1st, 2nd and 3rd... 

I know you are a huge Eriksson fan and all but there is no universe where Eriksson and Baertschi are in this lineup over Sutter and Roussel. Or even Gaudette.

Pearson and Horvat have good chemistry as do Miller, EP, and Toffoli. Throw Boeser with Horvat and Pearson and be done with it. 

Baertschi adds nothing this team needs more of at this point. Eriksson as the 13th guy to fill lineup holes is the ideal role for him when all are healthy. 

Miller-EP-Toffoli/Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser/Toffoli

Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Gaudette/MacEwan

Eriksson

Or

Miller-EP-Toffoli/Boeser

Gaudette-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte/MacEwan

Eriksson

That is the defibition of a balanced lineup. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Are you talking about 27 goal-71pt Miller and the 27 goal-65pt Pettersson who have played the entire season together?

Or you mean they’re not clicking since Toffoli arrived, only recording 30 points in 9 games so far...

We must be watching a different team you and me.

Miller and Petey seems to get most of their points through PP, not 5v5. 

Miller crash into ozone and rarely pass the puck to Petey.

Petey likes to pass the puck around so the oppo can't keep up.  They doesn't match.

What I've seen of Toffoli is a much better match to Petey than Miller. 

So Toffoli is delicate. 

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I know you are a huge Eriksson fan and all but there is no universe where Eriksson and Baertschi are in this lineup over Sutter and Roussel. Or even Gaudette.

Pearson and Horvat have good chemistry as do Miller, EP, and Toffoli. Throw Boeser with Horvat and Pearson and be done with it. 

Baertschi adds nothing this team needs more of at this point. Eriksson as the 13th guy to fill lineup holes is the ideal role for him when all are healthy. 

Miller-EP-Toffoli/Boeser

Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Gaudette/MacEwan

Eriksson

Or

Miller-EP-Toffoli/Boeser

Gaudette-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte/MacEwan

Eriksson

That is the defibition of a balanced lineup. 

Gaudette slipped my mind.

But I want to split Miller and Petey. 

Petey and Toffoli seems to be a match. 

Do a balanced line up with Petey and Miller on different lines. 

41 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Surround your talent with talent. They just need Boeser or Virt in LE's role.

48 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If it's not broken, don't fix it. Miller brings a ton to that line even outside of the obvious chemistry they have. Part of the reason that line is so effective is Miller's faceoff prowess. EP and his 41% isn't going to let that line start with the puck as much, which means they spend more of their shift having to play defensively and recover the puck. His two way game, relentless forechecking ability, and strength along the walls, along with his underrated passing ability and deadly shot force other teams to focus not only on EP. Toffoli also provides similar advantages.

Miller is the absolute perfect fit with EP as he allows him to take on less of the traditional center responsibility which gives him more opportunity to use his strengths to generate offense. 

That line is as close to perfect as it can get and even though Miller would certainly strengthen a third line centering it, that just creates a hole on EP's line that no one else can fill anywhere near as effectively.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Petey likes to pass the puck around so the oppo can't keep up.  They doesn't match.

So Toffoli is delicate. 

Ha.

To me, the connection is Miller/Toffoli. They’re pretty much the same relentless, hardworking player a team needs in the playoffs, while Pettersson is merely going through the growing pains of being one of the top superstars of the game.

If anyone thinks Pettersson won’t be watching thousands of hours of tape and hitting the gym and figuring it out for next year, that person is highly mistaken.

But when Green put Toffoli on the Horvat line, everything changed. 

Hopefully the PEARSON - HORVAT - TOFFOLI line plays tonight against the Islanders.

Pleeheeheeese Demko. Please.

And the defense MUST. tighten up.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

So Toffoli is delicate. 

Miller and EP have played together the whole year and they are consistently dominating their competition at 5 on 5. The very last thing to worry about on this team is line 1.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I suspect one of the underlying reasons Toffoli is with Miller and EP is to increase the chance he leaves some money on the table to re-sign with the Canucks for the fantastic job of playing with those 2.

However.

Pearson and Toffoli are besties and that may be where the reduction In salary money may be had.

An really, PEARSON - HORVAT - TOFOLLI skated circles around the Blue Jackets. Unfortunately they were put together late in the game and ran out of time. But the energy these three brought in was exactly what Cup contenders have as a first line.

Edited by Me_

17 minutes ago, Me_ said:

However.

Pearson and Toffoli are besties and that may be where the reduction In salary money may be had.

An really, PEARSON - HORVAT - TOFOLLI skated circles around the Blue Jackets. Unfortunately they were put together late in the game and ran out of time. But the energy these three brought in was exactly what Cup contenders have as a first line.

Yes, that line with Petey/Miller/Boeser means that we have 2 first lines with a really good 3rd line, Virtanen/Gaudette/Sutter

With Loui as depth in case of injuries, as usual... 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Me_ said:

However.

One caveat. Its an extremely small sample size though at a time in the game where desperation was kicking in. I think Toffoli would fit really well on either line thanks to a strong 2 way game. But he has been great on the top line. Hard to change that if you are Green.

• Cheers 1