The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fixing Team Defensive Structure - What does Green need to do?

Rate this topic

wallstreetamigo

I think they have a habit of being a little too cute/casual with the puck in the d-zone. They have skill but you can't pass the puck in the d-zone the same way you would in the o-zone, the cost of a turnover is too high. 

Edited by BlastPast

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Myers just isnt good in defense. I think we paid too much for him, since he is a 3rd pairing D at best

He's been inconsistent.  When he's on his game he can be a force in the D zone.  A steady partner other than Fantenberg might help too.  

• Upvote 1

2 man forecheck only when there's a high percentage chance of winning the puck, not always, and if we do, hang both D-men back or make sure it's only when we have solid defencemen on the ice and keep the defensive center deep. We get caught out on far too many odd-man rushes.

I think our centers play far too high which is great for offence, but we've been victimized too many times. As the games get tighter, we need to check tighter and not let up so many chances, especially with Marky and now Tanev injured. I think it's as easy as starting with hanging a defensive center back to help defend and learning when to attack/forecheck hard and when to stop.

We've done a miraculous job of pinching and rotating defencemen and centers, something Willie's coaching system and sometimes even AV's really struggled with, so commend Green for figuring that out. Our D-men pinch better than I've seen in a while and rarely get beat on odd-man rushes that way, because there's often a forward dropping back, but if the opposition have the puck and we throw 2 forecheckers forward, and a high center, they often all 3 get beat and we're faced with out D-men getting spread out on 3-on-2's and 4-on-3s etc. which don't end up going well.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Play Tryamkin and Myers as our defensive pairing against top lines.

as much fun as that might be, I'd be worried about our goalie being constantly screened by them :lol:

I am curious about a Hughes-Tryamkin pairing tho. With Nik's wingspan and Hughes mobility that could be something special. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

as much fun as that might be, I'd be worried about our goalie being constantly screened by them :lol:

I am curious about a Hughes-Tryamkin pairing tho. With Nik's wingspan and Hughes mobility that could be something special. 

That may be a great combo. Hughes could freelance and Tryamkin is comfortable staying back and cleaning up any garbage.  ie turnovers in transition, slowing forwards down and to the outside. He'd crush anyone who cheap shotted Huggy.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That may be a great combo. Hughes could freelance and Tryamkin is comfortable staying back and cleaning up any garbage.  ie turnovers in transition, slowing forwards down and to the outside. He'd crush anyone who cheap shotted Huggy.

I was thinking of Nik wheeling up the ice and creating space for Hughes. Nik can plow over Getzlaf and then its like a PP for Hughes :lol:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2020 at 10:13 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

I am genuinely curious to see what you guys think needs to be done specifically to fix what is clearly a consistent lack of a cohesive 5 man defensive structure. 

In the last 2 games alone we saw numerous high danger slot chances including 4 of the last 5 or 6 goals the Canucks have given up coming from missed assignments and wide open players right in the slot. 

I think some of this comes from over committing and being a bit too aggressive on the puck carrier, as we saw when MacKinnon would drive wide then circle back into the slot uncontested or find that traiking guy with nothing but time and space. Against Columbus both goals saw our players chasing. But it also seems the forward is routinely missing picking up that trailing player in those scenarios too.

I am not looking for the fire green or get rid of X defenseman comments here but some genuine ideas about what the Canucks need to do better with what they have. 

One thing is clear. You can't expect to win games giving up that volume of high quality chances. Markstrom was clearly bailing them out all year in regards to their defensive zone coverage breakdowns. Even Demko did in the last two games despite the goals against. 

I feel like its more than players not committing to team defense. It feelslike a structure issue with the frequency it happens.

Thoughs?

What did you think of the thread? 

It was an interesting question that you asked. 

On 3/31/2020 at 10:27 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I was thinking of Nik wheeling up the ice and creating space for Hughes. Nik can plow over Getzlaf and then its like a PP for Hughes :lol:

I like these guys' thinking. Give it a shot, Tram and Huggy!

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hey people flipped over Quinn and Schenn, Hughes and Tryamkin might give people fits. 

I definitely agree, Schenn was a pleasant surprise although temporary. Hughes has been an unbelievable addition to the team and we lucked out with the kids maturity, professionalism, skillset, and the list goes on. Let's give Tryamkin a chance to prove himself, we all know he's itching to get back in a Canucks jersey and show he's an NHL player!

Green wants his D to jump into the offense and out number the opponents. Unfortunately that opens the team up to the counter attack and often it's costly. I tend to think that needs to be revisited and maybe limit which D are allowed to go and which stay back and leave it to the forwards. Vcr has a lot more skill up front now from when Green took over, time  for a review