The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 10, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

29 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I think you need to watch the extended highlights at the start of this thread. Demko made several outstanding saves during regulation, especially when they were 2 men short.

Demko has been shelled most nights making the first, second and even sometimes the third save with regularity.   Yes our system allows a lot of shots (to re-gain possession?) He's given the team a chance to win every game he's played with the exception of maybe the OTT game.  Too bad the couldn't capitalize on a couple of those close games - particularly against CLB...last night put Demko on the leaderboard for most saves by a Canuck goalie...

edit: three of his last seven games he's had a sp of .918 (last night) .923 (ARI) and .925 (MTL)...two bad games OTT/TO and two very respectable CLB games .909 each.  

Getting BB will make a Hughes difference (ha ha that's autocorrect supposed to be huge but I'm superstitious right now and leaving it) - teams will have to be wary on who defend against both our top lines now ... plus his scoring will win us some games for sure.   He would turned at least two of those losses into wins IMO.  All close games ...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

What was up with our centres in OT? We lost like every draw. 

The boys brought it tonight. I was proud of them win or lose as long as they play hard like this. 

Our first goal immediately after the Isles scored was a statement saying we came to play today. 

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

What was up with our centres in OT? We lost like every draw. 

The boys brought it tonight. I was proud of them win or lose as long as they play hard like this. 

Our first goal immediately after the Isles scored was a statement saying we came to play today. 

We were 52%...so not our usual, but still ok.  With Clutterbuck having a free pass from the refs to move things a foot to the right it was a bit of a distraction.  Refs are idiots.

The response to the first goal was huge!  

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The wild inconsistency from game to game and even call to non call by officials is becoming such a huge issue in the NHL. It happens to most teams at one time or another of course but certain teams seem to be able to get away with a lot more.

The picks and interference they were in prime position to see and still chose to not call were an embarrassment imo. Its like they are mandated to keep games close for entertainment value. And i am the last person who believes in reffing conspiracies. But at the very least they are managing the game and are incompetent.

Gary Betman even said that his NHL refs “manage” games.  

Welcome to playoff refereeing, where the penalties are made up and actual fair play doesn't matter.

Still though, that's way too many shots to be giving up, especially at home. Glad for the much needed win though.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, brownky said:

way too many shots to be giving up

I believe this is the main problem. Demko faced almost 50 shots last night, Markstrom has to face as many on some nights. The other problem they have is keeping a lead. They've let other teams back in games too quickly and easily at times. Maybe they're not a playoff team yet, they need to imrprove their D game before I feel confident.

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol opposite is true? First off they scored 4 on us not 0 1 or 2 and 2nd I'm referring to we are badly outshot in the 3rd and ot in a must win game not a recipe for success. I never even talked about the goalies in my original post. So stop picking at bones 

First of all, we’ve been giving up 40+ shots for most of the season, and it hasn’t really bit us in the behind as much as some would claim. We’ve actually won a fair number of games while being heavily outshot. Maybe the quality of shot is actually pretty low, I’m sure the advanced stats are there to be analyzed.

As for the game last night, the ONLY reason that NY had so many shots (Especially in the 3rd) and we had so little is that the islanders literally got away with everything. They interfered and slowed down our forecheck and dump and chase (which was terrific all game), by setting clear picks, enabling them to retrieve the puck with ease, and move it up the ice quickly. 

I hate blaming the refs, but that was the worst reffed game I’ve ever witnessed in my life. I’ve been watching hockey religiously since 2003-2004. Tonight was the most embarrassing zebra performance. They wanted the islanders to bump their slump. It was so obvious. 

• Cheers 3

Yes I remember Miller trade and all the fans so upset???? You have to give up something very good to get a top player back...

Great trade Jim...Grade - A

Toffoli trade was similar response?? Madden and 2nd for Toffoli a very good trade... Taffoli 30 goal guy complete player..

Great Trade Jim.. Grade A

Sign Taffoli 5 yrs x 4 yrs.. will score 30 goals... 68-74 points complete player better then Boser..

Must trade for top # 2 D man,,

Boser to NJ --- Damon Severson 25, 6'2 -- Top #2 D man) and 3rd rounder..

Tanev 30, has real history of injuries,will want 4 yrs x 4.8 million

Edler 34 - still playing big minutes but we must bring in Veteran # 2 D man..

Nobody can fill #2 D spot in system so must go get a Severson or someone equal and age must be under 27....

Remember fans have to give up a good player to get another good player...

We have wingers coming along, Podkoizon 19, Hoglander 19, Lind 21.. Boser will bring us return we need...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 5

10 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

First of all, we’ve been giving up 40+ shots for most of the season, and it hasn’t really bit us in the behind as much as some would claim. We’ve actually won a fair number of games while being heavily outshot. Maybe the quality of shot is actually pretty low, I’m sure the advanced stats are there to be analyzed.

As for the game last night, the ONLY reason that NY had so many shots (Especially in the 3rd) and we had so little is that the islanders literally got away with everything. They interfered and slowed down our forecheck and dump and chase (which was terrific all game), by setting clear picks, enabling them to retrieve the puck with ease, and move it up the ice quickly. 

I hate blaming the refs, but that was the worst reffed game I’ve ever witnessed in my life. I’ve been watching hockey religiously since 2003-2004. Tonight was the most embarrassing zebra performance. They wanted the islanders to bump their slump. It was so obvious. 

I guess you missed the San Jose playoffs sweep. Another level of corruption altogether. 

1 hour ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Constant complaints about the refereeing gets tiresome but the third period performance by the zebras last night was absolutely atrocious. I hope their ability to work post season games depends on how their regular season performances are graded, a little accountability would be nice.

It doesn’t get tiresome when it’s completely warranted. 

• Cheers 1