The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: If you HAD to move Podkolzin....

I'd just keep him tbh. He's still unproven at the NHL level and while he's worth something as a top pick he's not worth what some might think. Teams aren't gonna dump top D men with term for an unknown quantity unless they're facing cap issues. 

His value coming in on an ELC having played in what's regarded as the second best league in the world as an 18/19 year old is worth more to us than what he'd garner in a trade. Especially given what Hughes and Petey will get as raises. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Probably the most realistic suggestion of comparable value on the thread.  People suggesting established young stars are out to lunch.  

Podkolzin is one of the best prospects out there right now, we won’t trade for anything less than his current value. 

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Podkolzin is one of the best prospects out there right now, we won’t trade for anything less than his current value. 

Are you suggesting his current value is the equivalent of Makar? Because others on this thread are.  He certainly has value. But no team is going to move a young star D for a good forward prospect who is under contract in the KHL next season 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Virtanen would be on a much cheaper contract.  Boeser needs to be qualified at $7.5 million the same summer we need to re-sign Petey and Quinn.  So cap management will play a key role.  I see Podkolzin as a top 6 forward playing with Horvat.  Virtanen will most likely be on the 3rd line...

If he keeps improving, he won't be much cheaper (and too expensive for the 3rd line). And no, Boeser is the year after.

Edited by aGENT

38 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Are you suggesting his current value is the equivalent of Makar? Because others on this thread are.  He certainly has value. But no team is going to move a young star D for a good forward prospect who is under contract in the KHL next season 

He also said or equivalent, not straight up Makar or Dahlin because that will never happen. 

Problem is a lot of those <22 year old stud defencemen are untouchable and rightly so. I think if you want a solid young D-man you either make a massive trade (ie. Boeser/Pettersson for Provorov), you sign then when they're older through UFA or you draft them yourself.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

He also said or equivalent, not straight up Makar or Dahlin because that will never happen. 

Anyone who is equivalent to those guys are going to be equally untouchable. Would you trade Hughes for the equivalent of a Podkolzin level forward prospect? (who is also under contract in the KHL for another season). 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather trade Boeser for a Dman than Podkolzin.  Podkolzin is a stud and made for the NHL and playoff hockey.  And we need a buddy for Tryamkin when he comes back.  The two big Russians will help us to win the Stanley Cup...

27 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

im not saying it would get the job done ofc.... im just saying we want someone good!

Of course Vancouver would want someone good. But you threw out the names of some of the top young D I’m the league. All of them are pretty much untouchable. Especially for an unproven wing prospect. 

9 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

for help on defence who would you target?  

Think there could be something to - again of course, if you’re being forced - work out around players like Provorov (would the Flyers even consider moving him?) or maybe Dobson?  

Our forward group is pretty strong, IF we could get a solid return on the back end it might be something to think about......

No.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

O NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather trade Boeser for a Dman than Podkolzin.  Podkolzin is a stud and made for the NHL and playoff hockey.  And we need a buddy for Tryamkin when he comes back.  The two big Russians will help us to win the Stanley Cup...

Boeser has 161 points in 197 games..

Podkolzin has 0.

Im not for trading either i just don't get your logic here.

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

While I'd love for Ferland to come back and be that second physical presence, it is looking unlikely at this point.

Willie Mitchell was basically in the same boat, and he went on to win two cups and have several years more captaining the Panthers.

What he needs, is a long, long break.

And, well, you never know.

Toews had 191 points in 222 games ,0.86 ppg in his first 3 seasons

Brock has a ppg of 0.82 in his 3 seasons (plus 9 games in 2016)

MacKinnon played 218 with a point total of 153,ppg of 0.70

Not saying Brock is the equivalent of either of those players but those are numbers you dont give up on at the age of 23...Baffles me seeing him in trade proposals on here 

Edited by naslund.is.king
  • Cheers 1