Sign in to follow this  
Glug Datt

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

Ok.. this stupid coronavirus thing is getting out of hand.. I'm booked on a family cruise in May - looks like that might be off the table.. I've got tickets to the Canucks game in Vegas on the 23rd - will that even happen? 

I realize that the virus is real and dangerous to some people, but now different leagues are contemplating playing games for an empty house.. Bo Horvat says that's not cool.. Lebron James says no thanks.. but it's a real possibility, now that it's officially a pandemic.. 

so what would this mean for the playoffs? how would FA feel if the Canucks finally make the post season and the seats are empty? wouldn't it totally ruin the playoff vibe if the were no fans present? collective team energy probably wouldn't be very high, the games would likely suck. 

could the games be pushed back? would it be better to just tank and try again next year? 

most importantly, can't people just wash their friggin hands, and stay home if they're sick? I don't want to go to Vegas, find the game is cancelled, and get quarantined on the way home.. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I don't imagine things would be pushed back. They'd play in empty arenas before that happened. Even without ticket sales there's still playoff revenue, and the NHLPA would likely balk at games encroaching on the offseason. Players love their time off and time to train for the following season. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

The German hockey league DEL has already cancelled the playoffs. There will be no champion this year. Events where more than 1000 people come together are suspended for the foreseeable future, therefore they decided to end the year early. Revenue losses are huge.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Hard to say, but if the decision is to play games in empty stadiums, I would be OK with us missing the playoffs... the idea is for our young players to get a feel for playoff hockey and I don't think they will be able to do that playing in front of no fans. 

1 minute ago, joe-max said:

The German hockey league DEL has already cancelled the playoffs. There will be no champion this year. Events where more than 1000 people come together are suspended for the foreseeable future, therefore they decided to end the year early. Revenue losses are huge.

Holy smokes, that's big news.

Sorry to hear your plans got derailed. I don't know which cruise you are getting on but with what happened with Diamond Princess, it's a bit scary. I still don't know how and why Japanese government left those passengers trapped in the cruise so long, exposing them to higher risk of getting infected! The right thing to do would have been to disembark the passengers followed by two-week quarantine, and release those that have no apparent symptoms. Lots of people got infected because they were trapped in the ship and Japanese government must take the blame for mishandling it; things got way worse than it had to be. Japan is known to be equipped with some of the best system/manual for dealing with various crisis so I was quite surprised. It showed how an incompetent government can make life miserable for people. So if you are taking cruises to places where you know the government is incompetent/untrustworthy, it might not be a good idea to go on it.

As for the playoffs, I think they should postpone the playoffs if possible.

I can't even imagine a playoff game being played in an empty arena. Can't imagine a team winning a SCF without any fans in the stands.

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

Well the way Canuck luck works we will win this year to an empty arena, lol. I mean, I'd take it. But just saying. 

That victory lap on the ice... would be awkwardly strange without the fanfare.

• Hydration 1

Be a pretty lame SCF if there are no fans in the stands.

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I've been following this very closely since it first appeared in China. 

It will definitely affect the playoffs. By the time playoffs come around the virus spread will be a lot worse. SJS and CBJ already can't have fans in arena for home games. In another month I wouldn't be surprised if all teams will be playing to empty arenas. 

It's just starting. It's going to get a lot worse than better.  

BTW a cruise ship trip is the last thing I would be going on. Those things are virus incubators at best of times.  Look at all the ships being quarantined. Italy, Japan, US.. Horrible situation. 

and there only one country to blame

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

NCAA announced all March madness games will be played without spectators.

All the pro leagues will follow soon imo.

The owners would sure lose a lot of money, millions for every team in the playoffs.

I actually prefer to watch the games at home on the big screen, comfortable, got my fridge, got my cannabis, no lineup for the washroom, I can pause it or rewind. I can fast-forward through the commercials and Ron MacLean. And I don't have to take the train in to Vancouver or fight the crowds on the way home. I did hear though, that if they don't allow people to attend that they would still produce the game on TV. But, I believe we would have to pay to watch the games (PPV)

I wonder as well, with this virus, packing in hoards of peope in tight spaces isn't a good idea. So, will they continue to run the Skytrain if things get worse? I have to take that germ tube every day, and some days there's people right in your face. Makes me think "maybe it's not that bad, life seems to be going on as normal. I'm still required to take the train to come in to work every day. Kids are still in school. Maybe everything will be fine?" How bad will this get?

• Hydration 1

33 minutes ago, rekker said:

Well the way Canuck luck works we will win this year to an empty arena, lol. I mean, I'd take it. But just saying. 

Yes, it's awesome. Then we get an imaginary parade, where you party like you're on the main float(at the RioCarnival), filled with supermodels that love only YOU!

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yes, it's awesome. Then we get an imaginary parade, where you party like you're on the main float(at the RioCarnival), filled with supermodels that love only YOU!

Don't forget the imaginary riot if we lose.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

The owners would sure lose a lot of money, millions for every team in the playoffs.

I actually prefer to watch the games at home on the big screen, comfortable, got my fridge, got my cannabis, no lineup for the washroom, I can pause it or rewind. I can fast-forward through the commercials and Ron MacLean. And I don't have to take the train in to Vancouver or fight the crowds on the way home. I did hear though, that if they don't allow people to attend that they would still produce the game on TV. But, I believe we would have to pay to watch the games (PPV)

I wonder as well, with this virus, packing in hoards of peope in tight spaces isn't a good idea. So, will they continue to run the Skytrain if things get worse? I have to take that germ tube every day, and some days there's people right in your face. Makes me think "maybe it's not that bad, life seems to be going on as normal. I'm still required to take the train to come in to work every day. Kids are still in school. Maybe everything will be fine?" How bad will this get?

No one really knows. This could get very bad if the strain mutates. Being old, infirm, or having a compromised respiratory system will mean nothing if it infects enough people. I work from home twice a week now, which I'm happy about, but I still take a triple shot of public transit three times a week.

This is definitely not going to go away in a few weeks. More like months.