The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, Pears said:

To put it lightly and respectfully, this is quite a reach. We are already seeing drops in both new cases and deaths worldwide. The NHL wouldn’t be optimistic about a resume in May if they didn’t think it was at all possible. 

I don't believe worldwide cases are dropping. In fact, I think I have read worldwide cases are getting really bad in some places.

Just because the NHL is optimistic doesn't mean it is likely to happen. They aren't experts in disease. (To be fair, either am I) Mass group gatherings isn't going to be allowed for quite a while, in my opinion.

Here's the thing - things will get better with the steps taken. We will initially get more cases (primarily as current carriers get symptoms) and perhaps some deaths and then it will likely drop. However, without a full lockdown of *everyone*, it will still continue to spread. Perhaps not as much as before, but it still will. And if that happens, we are only a week or two away from risking contaminating everyone again, due to how contagious this is. That's what I mean when I say I am not sure if we can stop it. I am not sure how long it will be feasible to keep everything locked down. Forever until all countries have no instances?

That's why I am not certain we can stop it. As long as we are closing everything we can limit the spread, but to eradicate it completely from Canada will be a very difficult thing to do. And when/if we do, we better keep the borders closed or it will just ramp up again.

I believe our response has been good. (Although I would have liked to see the borders close earlier). But is it enough?

Edited by kloubek

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

in the last 24 hrs Italy had 3000 more cases and 350 more deaths........in 24 hrs.

Europe is in deep trouble right now.  They are pulling out every measure they can think of to try and suppress the infection #s.  This is not going to go away for a long while. 

Flattening the curve is the target, but it is only a way of lessening the effect on the healthcare systems and economy.  As soon as they take away the strict protocol, the infections will start rising again. 

Just now, higgyfan said:

Europe is in deep trouble right now.  They are pulling out every measure they can think of to try and suppress the infection #s.  This is not going to go away for a long while. 

Flattening the curve is the target, but it is only a way of lessening the effect on the healthcare systems and economy.  As soon as they take away the strict protocol, the infections will start rising again. 

well, I'd say people in BC aren't doing a great job either.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

well, I'd say people in BC aren't doing a great job either.  

Not sure what you mean, but I think the government has done a fairly good job.  Every day is a new experience with this virus and new data is coming out regarding it's spread. 

The government has been good about putting out info and developing protocols.  I think we are fortunate in Canada, due to the less dense population and the fewer cases identified.  I do wish they would close the US border to all non trade related traffic though.

Unless we suddenly become a military state and start enforcing the protocol, I think they are doing the best they can.

Although...maybe they should be calling that billionaire in China that is donating the masks and test kits around the world.  The shortage is a real.

One more thing...we need to praise the front line medical staff.  What a job they are doing!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Not sure what you mean, but I think the government has done a fairly good job.  Every day is a new experience with this virus and new data is coming out regarding it's spread. 

The government has been good about putting out info and developing protocols.  I think we are fortunate in Canada, due to the less dense population and the fewer cases identified.  I do wish they would close the US border to all non trade related traffic though.

Unless we suddenly become a military state and start enforcing the protocol, I think they are doing the best they can.

Although...maybe they should be calling that billionaire in China that is donating the masks and test kits around the world.  The shortage is a real.

One more thing...we need to praise the front line medical staff.  What a job they are doing!

ten days ago it was painfully obvious what was happening in Italy and why. It was also obvious that there were countries who were managing it very well and how they were doing it.  We chose to take the Euro model of lets take it day by day and see what happens, rather than the Hong Kong/Taiwan/SK model of test test test and shut everything down sooner rather than later.

We are now seeing the consequences of that and still people are going to work, going to the gym, going to restaurants etc etc etc.  It's madness, imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

ten days ago it was painfully obvious what was happening in Italy and why. It was also obvious that there were countries who were managing it very well and how they were doing it.  We chose to take the Euro model of lets take it day by day and see what happens, rather than the Hong Kong/Taiwan/SK model of test test test and shut everything down sooner rather than later.

We are now seeing the consequences of that and still people are going to work, going to the gym, going to restaurants etc etc etc.  It's madness, imo.

But it's Pasta Tuesday!!

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

I don't believe worldwide cases are dropping. In fact, I think I have read worldwide cases are getting really bad in some places.

Just because the NHL is optimistic doesn't mean it is likely to happen. They aren't experts in disease. (To be fair, either am I) Mass group gatherings isn't going to be allowed for quite a while, in my opinion.

Here's the thing - things will get better with the steps taken. We will initially get more cases (primarily as current carriers get symptoms) and perhaps some deaths and then it will likely drop. However, without a full lockdown of *everyone*, it will still continue to spread. Perhaps not as much as before, but it still will. And if that happens, we are only a week or two away from risking contaminating everyone again, due to how contagious this is. That's what I mean when I say I am not sure if we can stop it. I am not sure how long it will be feasible to keep everything locked down. Forever until all countries have no instances?

That's why I am not certain we can stop it. As long as we are closing everything we can limit the spread, but to eradicate it completely from Canada will be a very difficult thing to do. And when/if we do, we better keep the borders closed or it will just ramp up again.

I believe our response has been good. (Although I would have liked to see the borders close earlier). But is it enough?

Once there is an effective treatment in place, things will likely return to as normal as possible. Until then we are in limbo and will have to count on the public *shudder* to police themselves when it comes to containment. It sure feels like this flu is here to stay and that it will join the circuit of flus well after things have calmed down. Just complete speculation on my part though.

I wonder if anti-vaxxers will line up for the vaccine when it becomes available....or if they'll just stick to their herbal tea.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Once there is an effective treatment in place, things will likely return to as normal as possible. Until then we are in limbo and will have to count on the public *shudder* to police themselves when it comes to containment. It sure feels like this flu is here to stay and that it will join the circuit of flus well after things have calmed down. Just complete speculation on my part though.

I wonder if anti-vaxxers will line up for the vaccine when it becomes available....or if they'll just stick to their herbal tea.

There is no cure coming down the pipe.

This is the vaunted cure for the common cold, there isn't one.

We know a lot about corona viruses and one of the things we know is that most antivirals do nothing.

Even when antivirals work they aren't great.

There are some protocols being tested but again good antivirals are not like good antibiotics, they help a little.
Immunizations are at least a year away. 

Herd immunity is what we need and without immunizations available that is hard earned.

As far as flattening the curve the better we do the longer this will last. 

So I am hopeful we don't have a playoffs this year as it means we are doing a good job.

Either way though there is unlikely a scenario where we would be playing any hockey before June.  

An October start next year is questionable to me but at least I might believe that.

If we are successful and people don't die by the thousands people are going to get mad and say we did all this for nothing but that is the exact opposite of the truth.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 2

I like the idea of the off season (or break in season) being now, and then having hockey start again in July until the following June. Is that possible?

I read in the paper the other day about the idea of having every team make the playoffs, except DET (DET is the only team mathematically eliminated), every other team still technically has a chance, so they would be in. Maybe they would have a best of 5 for the first few rounds, until the Conference Final and SCF where it's best of 7. That would be pretty wild.  Having he playoffs start with:

COL vs SJ

TB vs OTT

EDM vs ANA

VAN vs NSH etc.

The top team in each conference (BOS & STL) would get the bye.

Maybe in this odd season, with it ending abruptly, some teams unsure if they're in or out. Maybe this is a good formula, with every team technically having a chance at this point in the season, being given the opportunity to play for the Cup. There would be no question who the best team is at the end. I imagine the owners in all of those cities would love a long playoffs. lol 

Edited by NUCKER67

3 hours ago, stawns said:

A friend of mine went to golds gym today (I don’t know why) and he said the gym was filled with elderly people working out. Lol

• Huggy Bear 1

Well it looks like both the players and GMs are motivated to finish this season at all costs. Even if it means playing hockey in July and August.

To all the people saying this season is for sure done, not so fast. Still hope that this thing gets under control in 3 months and we’ll all be hanging at the beach and watching hockey!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well it looks like both the players and GMs are motivated to finish this season at all costs. Even if it means playing hockey in July and August.

To all the people saying this season is for sure done, not so fast. Still hope that this thing gets under control in 3 months and we’ll all be hanging at the beach and watching hockey!

Took exactly 12 weeks for the herd immunity to take effect in China.  They suspended their leagues for that long, and are now starting up again.  Why should the events be any different here?