The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

I'm wondering if the Canadians team could do something hockey-wise despite the NHL season being suspended. Canada is trending vastly better than the US and should be recovered sooner. If the Canadian teams were to have a play-out of 7 teams down to 4 and then do a 7 games series for two rounds, I be so down. Increase rosters to 25 players, get the sign-off from players, agents and insurance, pay them salaries and get it done.  Call it Canada fights Corona or something stupid. 

I just want some hockey.

3 hours ago, Kakanucks said:

That makes 3 players tested positive.

Their statement says that they were only advised today.  So everyone in contact with him only know now that they might have been infected?  

From their statement:

The Colorado Avalanche were advised today that a player has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. The player has been at home in isolation since the first symptoms appeared, has recovered and is back to normal. The Avalanche have notified anyone who has had known close contact with the athlete.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm wondering if the Canadians team could do something hockey-wise despite the NHL season being suspended. Canada is trending vastly better than the US and should be recovered sooner. If the Canadian teams were to have a play-out of 7 teams down to 4 and then do a 7 games series for two rounds, I be so down. Increase rosters to 25 players, get the sign-off from players, agents and insurance, pay them salaries and get it done.  Call it Canada fights Corona or something stupid. 

I just want some hockey.

Just cut out New York, the rest of America isn't that much worse.  Cut out the next 4 states too.  New Jersey, California, Washington, and Michigan.  No real contenders in the whole bunch.  

On 3/26/2020 at 4:00 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

I just want some hockey.

It's all fun and games until the games are rigged and the Leafs win the Cup then we all would hate it :lol:

2nd Avalanche player tested positive.  Their statement:

The Colorado Avalanche were advised late last night that a second player has tested positive for COVID-19. The player is in self-isolation. All other Avalanche players, staff and others who might have had close contact with the player have been informed and remain isolated as per prior League direction and are monitoring their health and will be in touch with Club medical staff as necessary. No other Avalanche player or staff member has shown symptoms at this time.

Seeing as it's Covid related, I'm guessing this query will be in the correct forum. So............

Other than the signings and such regarding prospects, are NHL teams during this special time restricted from doing trades and such? Is there a date in which they can do such? I presume it all rides on whether or not the season resumes, but I'm thinking the season's done for 2020. No playoffs...Nuthin'.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:01 PM, NexusRift said:

Seeing as it's Covid related, I'm guessing this query will be in the correct forum. So............

Other than the signings and such regarding prospects, are NHL teams during this special time restricted from doing trades and such? Is there a date in which they can do such? I presume it all rides on whether or not the season resumes, but I'm thinking the season's done for 2020. No playoffs...Nuthin'.

Trades are always allowed (except during the freeze during Christmas) even after the trade deadline.  The caveat is that players acquired after the trade deadline aren’t eligible for the playoffs. This will be an odd offseason because officially the season is only postponed right now 

From yesterday:

"Four additional members of the Ottawa Senators organization who travelled to California before the NHL season pause tested positive for COVID-19. 

Members of the team and staff self-isolated on Friday, March 13, and are all doing well. All test results have now been received, and all those who tested positive have recovered."

On 3/30/2020 at 10:01 PM, NexusRift said:

19 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Trades are always allowed (except during the freeze during Christmas) even after the trade deadline.  The caveat is that players acquired after the trade deadline aren’t eligible for the playoffs. This will be an odd offseason because officially the season is only postponed right now 

The rosters have been frozen since March 16th.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-roster-freeze-take-effect-monday-amid-2019-20-season-pause/ 

• Upvote 1

If this thing is going to resume at some point I’m thinking neutral sites are the way to go.

Doesn’t even have to be NHL facilities. Could be a university in Michigan or an AHL building in Tucson. Doesn’t matter as there likely won’t be fans and therefore no home ice advantage regardless.

Gotta be based on points percentage as there wont be a fair way to get everyone to the same number of games played.

I think the two wild card spot holders in each conference will have to play a best of 3 or 5 series against the next two teams in the standings. These will be the warmup games for the playoffs and determine the final two wild card teams.

The rest of the teams in the top 3 of each division will play each other within their conferences to determine things like standings, division winners, and matchups. So Vancouver would play Edmonton, Vegas, St.Louis, Colorado, and Dallas once. Then each teams record in those 5 games would determine the top 3 of each division and ultimately the division winner. Tie breaker rules would be the same.

That gives these teams a tuneup for playoffs as well as giving teams a fair chance to win their divisions with meaningful games. The Presidents trophy will be awarded to Boston but does not come with home ice advantage unless they win their division (extra motivation)

The playoffs would then resume as “normal”.