The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nah. If the league goes by point %, which is the fairest way to end the season we're in. If they don't then yeah it was expensive. 

This is how a point percentage bracket looks:

[...]

Wonder if they could extend the number of teams for the playoffs rather than just 16.  Some teams are really close and if you go by games played the standings would look different.

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

Wonder if they could extend the number of teams for the playoffs rather than just 16.  Some teams are really close and if you go by games played the standings would look different.

I don't know that there's any one solution that makes all teams happy. The BOG may already have guidelines for seasons ending early as well, I suspect that they do.

What a weird year. I'm kind of scared for what happen to CDC if the league determines we're out tho, the number of bans will spike exponentially with all the fighting :lol:

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

now that would be a good idea if the cap can't go up next year. Yup I could actually see a one-time set of compliance buy outs. Man that would be such as good outcome for us. 

Wouldn't really be fair to teams who don't have the financial resources of teams like Vancouver, Toronto etc.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Wouldn't really be fair to teams who don't have the financial resources of teams like Vancouver, Toronto etc.

I'm not so sure, pretty much every team has 1 contract they'd be happy to shed, except maybe CBJ? 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like Madden and a second? :(

I never thought of Toffolli as a rental Alf , he fits in the top 6 as expected and if his next contract is  in the 5-6m range I think they would find a way to keep him.

Thats when I thought the cap was going up tho , yesterday my biggest Canuck worry was how fast they could get Tryamkin back here.

• Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, Kelly Green said:

I never thought of Toffolli as a rental Alf , he fits in the top 6 as expected and if his next contract is  in the 5-6m range I think they would find a way to keep him.

Thats when I thought the cap was going up tho , yesterday my biggest Canuck worry was how fast they could get Tryamkin back here.

Hopefully the league gives each team a couple compliance buyouts this summer.  We buy out Loui and Sutter.  Then we can afford Tofu.  The UFAs this summer are going to get peanuts though.  I see most signing one year deals.  We might get Tofu and Marky for cheap one year contracts.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, rekker said:

Well the way Canuck luck works we will win this year to an empty arena, lol. I mean, I'd take it. But just saying. 

Well, if they play to empty arenas, won't that give us an advantage, given how poor the atmosphere is in ours?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd be happy for them to freeze the season and just try to have playoffs start before it gets too hot, or a condensed playoffs like best of 3 or 5 if need be. Worst case scenario, end the season now, tally up the board based on win % and ROW, wait until end of May/June then start the playoffs. If there's time, normal 7 game series otherwise we make it shorter. 

Would make it interesting for sure, any team could win it.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say they can get back to playing in time for the playoffs.  I think a good solution would be to re-do the remaining schedule so that all teams finish with 72 games played.  It would give the playoff bound teams at least one game to get ready for playoff action and it would give the bubble teams the opportunity to win, or lose their playoff spot.

I just don't see how this would work logistically and fairly for all teams. Some teams have played as many as 71 games and some as few as 68. Getting the fairest match ups and then trying to schedule arenas etc just would not work. If they do end up having playoffs then either the points % of the current standings or using the records of each team after the least amount of games played for any one team (68) makes the most sense. Either way the Canucks would be in, 3rd in the Pacific based on current points % and the 2nd WC based on the 68 game records.

• Like 1

• -SN- changed the title to NHL Season Suspended
  • -SN- pinned and featured this topic

Apparently the Athletic has removed its paywall for COVID-19 related articles.  I am a subscriber so I don't know if it's true or not.  Still, here's an article on what could happen, maybe.

The best-case scenario here, according to several sources contacted by The Athletic late Wednesday night, would mean the shutdown lasts only three weeks and the NHL playoffs would begin essentially as scheduled in mid-April. Teams would be ranked by points percentage and given playoff berths as if the season had, in fact, ended on March 11 instead of April 4.

https://theathletic.com/1671378/2020/03/12/what-will-the-nhl-season-look-like-if-it-resumes-after-the-coronavirus-shutdown/?source=shared-article

• Cheers 1