The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

have you been to a game this year? 

It's been a few years, since I live in CA now.  Since I recall Deb still getting complaints for making noise, I figured management was still suppressing exuberance there.  Unless it's profane, I can't think of too many reasons for getting fans to be quieter.

Just now, Provost said:

Some of us don't hate old and sick people... so we think that taking every precaution is reasonable to avoid spreading the disease to kill them.

Who hates those people?   If you want to take every precaution, why pick a relatively middle of the pack corona strain over all the others that have occurred?    Why didn't the league shut during SARS or H1N1 or even every season during flu season?    EVERY YEAR in the US this is what happens - EVERY year.     Why pick this particular event?   Do you only not hate people during a media driven event?

Influenza-Chart-Infographic-high-res.jpg

Just now, Kragar said:

It's been a few years, since I live in CA now.  Since I recall Deb still getting complaints for making noise, I figured management was still suppressing exuberance there.  Unless it's profane, I can't think of too many reasons for getting fans to be quieter.

the atmosphere is way better this year than its been in a long time. 

Just now, Me_ said:

A player has corovid-19 but he’s young so he doesn't show symptoms. He high-fives a child fan. The child won’t show any sign as he’s a young child. 

The child is home at dinner with visiting grand-ma, mom and dad. They have dinner. Grand ma love’s her grand son as he’s talking about the awesome high-five he got that that awesome player.

That night, Grand-ma gives a big kiss to her grandson and is driven back to her old folks residence.

A few days later, mom and dad have a cold. It surely will pass. 

But at the old folks home, Grand-ma and her friends have hung out as usual. In the next couple of weeks, 70% of the residents at the old folks home will die of corovid-19 as they are 65 years old and older with a weakened immune system.

Thats why the NHL postponed the season and may cancel it entirely.

SAME WITH ANY CORONA VIRUS....see above stats on average year deaths in US alone.    Pick your battles all you like but this isn't as harmful as many influenzas of the past.    Far more cases than have been reported - likely 100's of times more (most will never even know they were infected).    It is serious for sure, but no more serious than any other similar event.    Where is your outrage on those events?

• Wat 1

I'm not sure what to get upset about anymore. 

Corona virus?

World trade center......how many people died? 

There are 50,000 suicides reported every year in the us. Many of them teens. 

Take a look around you. 

What do you suppose is happening to our world? 

Am I just being negative?

Mass insanity and delusion running rampant, all fueled by the media and your loving government.  If they really meant to protect people, they would make rest and care homes off-limits but no, instead they go after the healthiest young athletes in the world and use the hammer against everyone else.  It's becoming de facto martial law.

This is testimony from one who got the virus and was quarantined on the Diamond Princess:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=60AC23E15225D7B06AA860AC23E15225D7B06AA8

“This virus is something that’s only a minor cold for 98% of the people.”

• Wat 2

3 hours ago, goalie13 said:

There's no way.  The Cup needs to be won, not awarded.

I have a feeling we have seen the last of NHL hockey until next season.  This isn't like bad weather that you can wait out for a while and then things go back to normal.  With how things are escalating, I can't see there being any way to return to play before it would be too late.  It may be months.

yah they can have the Presidents Trophy, but points don't guarantee a cup, just ask Tampa

3 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Mass insanity and delusion running rampant, all fueled by the media and your loving government.  If they really meant to protect people, they would make rest and care homes off-limits but no, instead they go after the healthiest young athletes in the world and use the hammer against everyone else.  It's becoming de facto martial law.

This is testimony from one who got the virus and was quarantined on the Diamond Princess:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=60AC23E15225D7B06AA860AC23E15225D7B06AA8

“This virus is something that’s only a minor cold for 98% of the people.”

Until your parents or grandparents get it and die. It’s not about keeping us young folk healthy. It’s about keeping the elderly and immunosuppressed safe. Give your head a shake and take the tinfoil hat off. 

Edited by NeilColville
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There is a higher risk from this year's flu and the remaining remnants of H1N1 but, hey, if you want zero risk I get it.   NHL didn't shut during SARS in 2003 or in 2009 with H1N1 when healthy young people were dying.

While COVID19 is a much less lethal virus, there's now direct links between Rudy Gobert's dumb, infected ass and multiple NBA and NHL teams. It's hard to call out leagues for not canceling games 10 and 15 years ago when you could point to a direct vector that could spread across multiple teams in this instance. 

Christ, remember how dumb the NHL looked when Sydney Crosby played looking like this?

download.jpg.e977db162439b7363e7332b6ebf71f04.jpg

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There is a higher risk from this year's flu and the remaining remnants of H1N1 but, hey, if you want zero risk I get it.   NHL didn't shut during SARS in 2003 or in 2009 with H1N1 when healthy young people were dying.

None of what you are saying is true.

This year's flu has a much lower mortality rate, as does H1N1... go look at the actual sources and not InfoWars or whatever you watch.

The only reason there are more death from those is because they are more widespread.  This one is only at the beginning, so containing and trying to at least flatten the curve of the infections is critical. 

Right now in Italy, an affluent country that just passed 1,000 deaths... doctors are rationing limited treatment and respirators and just telling older patients that they are going to die because other patients are the priority.  It is not just death rates, but an estimated 20% of identified cases require hospitalization for this flu.

https://www.sciencealert.com/dragging-out-the-coronavirus-epidemic-is-important-in-saving-lives

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

SARS infected something like 8,000 people. Covid-19 is already well over 100,000. There are also reports that it's not just elderly people dying from Covid. 

Sorry, Rob, but downplaying Covid is pure ignorance at this point. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Since the US has barely begun testing, (only 11,000 approximately so far), its extremely possible that there's more than 100,000 infected with it in the US already.

I'm not being alarmist either, but don't be surprised if British Columbia shuts the border with Washington in the next week.