The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I am surprised they went full def con 5 on this. Suspension of games.  I had thought the next step was going to be no fans at games.

I imagine the NBA players getting positive tests was a big alarm bell.  But still, playing devil's advocate, could they not have set up a strict protocol for NHL players and coaches, officials.  Everyone gets tested immediately.  Maybe even hockey players families. Weekly. That's  not a lot of people relatively, so it could be doable. If even one test is positive, shut it down, but if all players, refs, are cleared, you allow televised games. With of course strict rules about hygiene for the players.  Also hockey is different than basketball in that you are geared up and covered from head to toe.  Ban fighting during this time. Is that crazy? or just crazy to watch Canucks hockey?

You've got the order mixed up.

Defcon 5 is normal status.

Defcon 1 nuclear war is imminent or started. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I am surprised they went full def con 5 on this. Suspension of games.  I had thought the next step was going to be no fans at games.

I imagine the NBA players getting positive tests was a big alarm bell.  But still, playing devil's advocate, could they not have set up a strict protocol for NHL players and coaches, officials.  Everyone gets tested immediately.  Maybe even hockey players families. Weekly. That's  not a lot of people relatively, so it could be doable. If even one test is positive, shut it down, but if all players, refs, are cleared, you allow televised games. With of course strict rules about hygiene for the players.  Also hockey is different than basketball in that you are geared up and covered from head to toe.  Ban fighting during this time. Is that crazy? or just crazy to watch Canucks hockey?

Crazy to watch Canucks hockey lol. Ive been super excited for this stretch drive into the playoffs. 

What happens when one player on our team catches it? What if its an impact player? Players miss games sometimes due to illness and im sure healthy athletes won't die of covid19 but it could render then unplayable (illness and quarantine). What if Quinn and Miller catch it and they sit out and we miss the playoffs? 

Getring cleared from testing doesn't mean they might not get it tomorrow and show no symptoms for a week while thry spread it. 

I just dont think its worth it. 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Crazy to watch Canucks hockey lol. Ive been super excited for this stretch drive into the playoffs. 

What happens when one player on our team catches it? What if its an impact player? Players miss games sometimes due to illness and im sure healthy athletes won't die of covid19 but it could render then unplayable (illness and quarantine). What if Quinn and Miller catch it and they sit out and we miss the playoffs? 

Getring cleared from testing doesn't mean they might not get it tomorrow and show no symptoms for a week while thry spread it. 

I just dont think its worth it. 

Yeah probably crazy for Canucks.

Just to belabour the argument,  I'd say as soon as any player, official, or coach ever had a positive test, you shut it down completely.  Only go ahead if everyone, league wide is cleared. And maybe test every team the day before every game. Take a swab. How difficult is the Corona virus to test for?  Maybe its not doable.  But even if this kind of concentrated testing was a big expense, I imagine the greater expense to owners would be suspension of games.

14 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

With coronavirus, I think the hype is disproportionate to the threat. More people die from the flu in the same time period than coronavirus. Most of the people dying from coronavirus are elderly people with underlying medical conditions. However, that is not to say it shouldn't be taken seriously. It has become a pandemic. It's just that people are acting irrationally in response to it. If you wash your hands, and don't touch your face, you will probably be fine. Even if you catch it you will probably be fine, especially if you are a healthy young person. Going to Costco to get as much toilet paper as you can get, and self-isolating, is kind of overreacting. 

As for the NBA season being suspended, and the NHL most likely not being far behind, this is unprecedented. Is it an overreaction? Maybe. But it's important to remember that human life is more important than a game. If even a few deaths can be prevented by doing this, it would be worth it. We don't want coronavirus to affect loved ones who already have serious medical conditions or are up there in age. 

14 hours ago, stawns said:

completely and utterly false

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

"So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 100,000 illnesses and more than 3,000 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 34 million illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)." 

Qualification: Article is from 6 days ago. Coronavirus has spread since then.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-vs-flu-which-virus-is-deadlier-11583856879

Coronavirus has a higher death rate. Seasonal flu is more widespread, but we have more protection from it. We don't have a vaccine for coronavirus, but we do for the flu.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

"So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 100,000 illnesses and more than 3,000 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 34 million illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)." 

Qualification: Article is from 6 days ago. Coronavirus has spread since then.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-vs-flu-which-virus-is-deadlier-11583856879

Coronavirus has a higher death rate. Seasonal flu is more widespread, but we have more protection from it. We don't have a vaccine for coronavirus, but we do for the flu.

Yep, and literally the point of the worry is that we need to limit the spread so it doesn't become as widespread (or does more slowly so we can better deal with it)... because then it blows the flu out of the water in terms of death and permanent disability from it.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, and literally the point of the worry is that we need to limit the spread so it doesn't become as widespread (or does more slowly so we can better deal with it)... because then it blows the flu out of the water in terms of death and permanent disability from it.

Yeah we need to curtail it's growth and be extra vigilant. I don't think you need to reorganize your whole life around it like some people have been doing, but if you have caught it, it's a good idea to stay at home.

26 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

I think he meant “do players stay in there respective teams cities to practice/stay in shape independently” 

I'm guessing it'll be like early summer for the players and workout from their own summer facilities considering teams aren't even holding meetings anymore let alone practice.

40 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Gary Bettman was wise (and this may be the only time I all him wise) to state that it's a "Pause". With so little certainty and the unknown nature of this pandemic, it's safe to put a pause on the NHL. Just so we can figure out what's going on. Maybe (hopefully) it's all overblown hysteria, but let's just figure out what's going on first. That seems reasonable to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

no

the biggest difference is that it is a new strain

which no one on earth has built up any resistance to

other forms of the flu

are mutations of previous versions

and many many people have built up partial immunity to those strains

that is why this is not comparable to other flus

but is a new strain all on its own

just happens to be on a spectrum that makes it part of the flu family

it is otherwise new to the world

and there is nothing in people

that provide any help in dealing with it

other then our own current immune system

No.

The coronavirus is not part of the flu family.

Flu viruses:  Family of Orthomyxoviridae viruses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomyxoviridae

Coronaviruses:  Family of Coronaviridae viruses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

Also, not new to the world.  Simply new to the human world after animal-to-human transmission.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I don’t get why the season is “suspended”. It ought to be cancelled.

It will get worse and there won’t be a vaccine for about a year. This thing is spreading real fast and very easily. A lot more immune compromised and elderly will die from this.