The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

The coronavirus is not a typical flu virus. 

Flu virus typically infects the nose, throat, and sometimes progresses to the lungs. 

Coronavirus goes right after the lungs.  Hence why fever and a dry cough are the preliminary symptoms. 

The fact that the coronavirus goes after the lungs is what makes it more scary, and why the death rates are probably around 1% whereas the influenza is about 0.1%.  That's a BIG difference.

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No.

The coronavirus is not part of the flu family.

Flu viruses:  Family of Orthomyxoviridae viruses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomyxoviridae

Coronaviruses:  Family of Coronaviridae viruses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

Also, not new to the world.  Simply new to the human world after animal-to-human transmission.

i think maybe you should just respond to your previous post with your latest post

and post a new one explaining your apparent contradictory use of language

from post to post

the precision of language you seem to expect in your second post

belies the loose use of language in your first post

always good to shift the goalposts when responding

it gives new lines of attack that were not present

when the goalposts were in a different position originally

:towel:

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

I don’t get why the season is “suspended”. It ought to be cancelled.

It will get worse and there won’t be a vaccine for about a year. This thing is spreading real fast and very easily. A lot more immune compromised and elderly will die from this. 

It's pretty likely that it will be cancelled. They are just collecting facts and taking a wait and see approach.

Cough in your arms if you have to, and keep about 1 meters distance when in public. Common sense. It sure is serious, but it ain’t the plague. (Famous last words...)

i think the economical aftermath will bring the real $&!# though. Gordon is sharpening his knives. michael douglas GIF

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t get why the season is “suspended”. It ought to be cancelled.

It will get worse and there won’t be a vaccine for about a year. This thing is spreading real fast and very easily. A lot more immune compromised and elderly will die from this. 

9166B526-C841-432C-893D-68A0D4DED0C3.gif

2 minutes ago, mll said:

The NCAA has cancelled their season.   Teams can sign their college players.  

I wonder if some guys will wait and see if they can get into games and burn a year off their ELCs first? assuming of course there's a regular season to be had at all anymore. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol 

Worst rental ever. 

Could we get a refund? The airlines are doing it.... 

If he signs with us, then it`s all good. But if he walks, well, the Canucks wasted some valuable assets. Toffoli has had success here since he arrived, and it looks like he really likes to play with Pettersson. That saucer pass from Pettersson to Toffoli for the goal last game was a beauty. Maybe he sees the Canucks as an up and coming team with some serious skill and wants to be a part of that? Hope so.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if some guys will wait and see if they can get into games and burn a year off their ELCs first? assuming of course there's a regular season to be had at all anymore. 

Probably.  

LAK signed Turcotte yesterday but his contract starts only next season - he was going to the AHL on a tryout contract.  

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

It's pretty likely that it will be cancelled. They are just collecting facts and taking a wait and see approach.

They'd better not just cancel it.  It would throw competitive balance and fairness out the window (e.g. totally unfair to teams that have traded future assets for help now).

If they are going to be fair they ought to:

1) restart the regular season when it is safe to do so (even if this means picking up in September or October);

2) complete the playoffs as normal (4 rounds, 7 game series);

3) shorten the 2021-2022 season just like they would if there were a lockout, with full playoffs starting in April of May 2022.

Just now, mll said:

Probably.  

LAK signed Turcotte yesterday but his contract starts only next season - he was going to the AHL on a tryout contract.  

it would sure be some nice news to hear of a Rathbone signing soon too. I don't think he's in the burn a year tier of guys so maybe something soon. 

I find the regulation wins system stupid. We have more total wins than Nashville, and a better point differential (more goals for, same goals against)--it should be based on that.

But it looks like we are in the playoffs if they're basing it on win percentage. That win against the Islanders may have been even bigger than we thought.

Edited by NaveJoseph

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would sure be some nice news to hear of a Rathbone signing soon too. I don't think he's in the burn a year tier of guys so maybe something soon. 

Re burn a year.  It could also make it more challenging for teams who have NCAA players who will be UFA by 15 August.  If the season doesn't resume they can't burn a year and might prefer then to just reach free agency.  Will Lockwood is in that category.  

4 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

They'd better not just cancel it.  It would throw competitive balance and fairness out the window (e.g. totally unfair to teams that have traded future assets for help now).

If they are going to be fair they ought to:

1) restart the regular season when it is safe to do so (even if this means picking up in September or October);

2) complete the playoffs as normal (4 rounds, 7 game series);

3) shorten the 2021-2022 season just like they would if there were a lockout, with full playoffs starting in April of May 2022.

I think they should put a cap on the regular season, say at 72 games. So teams can compete for a playoff spot for a few more games, and then play the playoffs.
Whatever happens, I don't think the playoffs should be cancelled. That would be a waste of a season, and be unfair for teams that have traded for assets. Better just delay the playoffs until later and base who gets in on win percentage.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

The coronavirus is not a typical flu virus. 

Flu virus typically infects the nose, throat, and sometimes progresses to the lungs. 

Coronavirus goes right after the lungs.  Hence why fever and a dry cough are the preliminary symptoms. 

The fact that the coronavirus goes after the lungs is what makes it more scary, and why the death rates are probably around 1% whereas the influenza is about 0.1%.  That's a BIG difference.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

no

the biggest difference is that it is a new strain

which no one on earth has built up any resistance to

other forms of the flu

are mutations of previous versions

and many many people have built up partial immunity to those strains

that is why this is not comparable to other flus

but is a new strain all on its own

just happens to be on a spectrum that makes it part of the flu family

it is otherwise new to the world

and there is nothing in people

that provide any help in dealing with it

other then our own current immune system

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No.

The coronavirus is not part of the flu family.

Flu viruses:  Family of Orthomyxoviridae viruses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomyxoviridae

Coronaviruses:  Family of Coronaviridae viruses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

Also, not new to the world.  Simply new to the human world after animal-to-human transmission.

21 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i think maybe you should just respond to your previous post with your latest post

and post a new one explaining your apparent contradictory use of language

from post to post

the precision of language you seem to expect in your second post

belies the loose use of language in your first post

always good to shift the goalposts when responding

it gives new lines of attack that were not present

when the goalposts were in a different position originally

:towel:

It all depends on reading comprehension.  I made a small edit to my original post to make it easier for simple minds to understand.  The rest of my OP was pretty clear in terms of what I was saying in that the flu virus and coronavirus are not the same type of virus at all.  I clarified that in my 2nd post. 

I like how you seem to talk about precision of language when you don't even use punctuation or grammar, and your paragraph structure is terrible lol.

:emot-parrot: