The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

You are most contagious before you ever even feel anything.  Once you feel sick you e already infected everyone you e come in contact with in the last 12-14 days.

I feel your concern. But ultimately all we can do is wash our hands, don't touch our face, limit contact with others etc, this is our only control factor. Hyper anxiety will probably take care of most of this. I really believe that the suspension of the season by the NHL and NBA is precautionary and not an indication of our impending doom. It will stop the potential spread of the virus by preventing 20,000 people from congregating in a tight space for 3-4 hours mainly. 

People buying all the TP, please consider stocking up on non perishable goods instead. You will need them when you can't leave your house for 2 weeks.

Best to everyone during this time.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I feel your concern. But ultimately all we can do is wash our hands, don't touch our face, limit contact with others etc, this is our only control factor. Hyper anxiety will probably take care of most of this. I really believe that the suspension of the season by the NHL and NBA is precautionary and not an indication of our impending doom. It will stop the potential spread of the virus by preventing 20,000 people from congregating in a tight space for 3-4 hours mainly. 

People buying all the TP, please consider stocking up on non perishable goods instead. You will need them when you can't leave your house for 2 weeks.

Best to everyone during this time.

It's airborne, washing hands and not touching your face isnt going to do anything

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

So since this is about the NHL cancellation and we already have a virus thread, does anyone know what happens to our pick if the playoffs end up cancelled?

We likey won't know that for a while. It's probably the last thing on the NHLs mind right now.

Just now, stawns said:

It's airborne, washing hands and not touching your face isnt going to do anything

Excuse me? Stop spreading misinformation.

I catch cold at a drop of a hat

I have Heart Disease, and High Blood pressure

I have a trip scheduled to Phoenix to Golf at the end of the month

and it looks like I am not going now.....so pissed

and such a first world problem...….so I am going to golf on the good days here at home

Bike ride and watch Net Flix

And wash my hands...….nothing much more I can do about it than that.....

On a bigger note, I have a 92 year old mother, who I am afraid for

who has COPD, and I am worried for her.

As for  a vaccine.....science will win in the end.....I am reminded of the Ebola out break and how they

came up with vacines in short order...….there are all ready some in clinical trials, and there are also new anti-virals that are coming on line soon

that show strong results, so I will batten the hatches and hunker down

Summer is coming and I am hoping this thing slows down by then...……..I wish all of you good health and remind everyone no kissing, hugging or sex for the next 2 months.

Edited by janisahockeynut

33 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Just to let you guys know there has been some talk of the following schedule, don't know how much truth there is to it?.......If the playoffs are cancelled, maybe in July all 31 teams will have a single elimination tournament, then the final 4 will have a triple game elimination, then the cup finals will also be a triple game series for the cup.

I'm not sure how that would work as the NHL year officially concludes on June 30th, then the new year and free agency starts on July 1st.  It's baked into the CBA.  It would take some serious cooperation in order to adjust the end of the year.

In my opinion, if they can't run the playoffs in a manner that at least resembles the current form of the playoffs, they shouldn't run them at all.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Overreaction?  People are criminally underreacting imo.  The season and playoffs are over and this is likely to last 4-6 months.  There will likely be hundreds of thousands who won't survive it, at least.  Hockey doesn't mean jack squat at this point.

have a beer if you are old enough and relax

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Welcome to the new reality everyone.

The CDC, WHO and many epidemiologists have been predicting for decades that we would see new viruses like this out of the Yuhan region in China.  Large populations living close together, livestock meat slaughtered and eaten in the same place and a large bat population that can cross contaminate into a live animal that is then slaughtered and eaten.  

By the time any health official can detect the novel virus, it has spread into the massive sea of humanity nearby and with globalization, everywhere.   

H1NI, MERS, SARS and now Covid 19.  

Let's just hope that Covid doesn't mutate into a SARS like illness while remaining as transmissible as Covid 19, if that was to happen welcome to the new plague.  

The bringing out your dead kinda plague.  SARS had a fatality rate that dwarfs Covid 19, but it was much harder to catch. 

Hopefully the method of transmission into the food supply, which is how H1N1 and SARS both occurred.  One came from birds, the other from Bats.  

Maybe it's time for China and other emerging global economies to modernize and bring a more western approach to meat slaughtering.  No judgements, but street meat isn't ever a good idea. Even when it's a tube steak and your loaded. 

Well everyone stay safe, things are likely to get worse, maybe alot worse before we can expect any return to normalcy.  If this follows the same pattern as the Spanish Flu (first spreads world wide with minor fatalities, only to come back in the next cold season to kill 18 million would wide) as some epidemiologists predict, then there could be alot of things cancelled until a vaccine is produced.  

This illness will bankrupt more people than it will kill.  Some industries won't recover.  

Remember, this is a boomer killer.  15% fatal in pop. 80 years and up, 10% in the 70 to 80 year range and so on.  2.5 percent in total.  That's 25 times more deadly than H1N1 and its 3 times more transmissible.  

Hate to say it, season ticket spots will open up when things resume.  

It is inevitable that we will all catch Covid 19.  Some of us have it right now and don't even know it.  It won't bother most of us, but it will kill 2.5 percent of those that catch it.  10 billion people, that's 250 million.  It is also going to cause a great recession.  

The supply line disruptions alone could do that.  The absolute cancellation of tourism and entertainment industries is going to leave billions without a predictable source of income. 

Great time to grow your own garden.  Like a big one.  

i couldn't find you are an idiot moji.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I'm not sure how that would work as the NHL year officially concludes on June 30th, then the new year and free agency starts on July 1st.  It's baked into the CBA.  It would take some serious cooperation in order to adjust the end of the year.

In my opinion, if they can't run the playoffs in a manner that at least resembles the current form of the playoffs, they shouldn't run them at all.

the commish for the NBA was on the tube saying they are looking at least a month.  So any simulation should start with this time period - April 13th. 

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Welcome to the new reality everyone.

The CDC, WHO and many epidemiologists have been predicting for decades that we would see new viruses like this out of the Yuhan region in China.  Large populations living close together, livestock meat slaughtered and eaten in the same place and a large bat population that can cross contaminate into a live animal that is then slaughtered and eaten.  

By the time any health official can detect the novel virus, it has spread into the massive sea of humanity nearby and with globalization, everywhere.   

H1NI, MERS, SARS and now Covid 19.  

Let's just hope that Covid doesn't mutate into a SARS like illness while remaining as transmissible as Covid 19, if that was to happen welcome to the new plague.  

The bringing out your dead kinda plague.  SARS had a fatality rate that dwarfs Covid 19, but it was much harder to catch. 

Hopefully the method of transmission into the food supply, which is how H1N1 and SARS both occurred.  One came from birds, the other from Bats.  

Maybe it's time for China and other emerging global economies to modernize and bring a more western approach to meat slaughtering.  No judgements, but street meat isn't ever a good idea. Even when it's a tube steak and your loaded. 

Well everyone stay safe, things are likely to get worse, maybe alot worse before we can expect any return to normalcy.  If this follows the same pattern as the Spanish Flu (first spreads world wide with minor fatalities, only to come back in the next cold season to kill 18 million would wide) as some epidemiologists predict, then there could be alot of things cancelled until a vaccine is produced.  

This illness will bankrupt more people than it will kill.  Some industries won't recover.  

Remember, this is a boomer killer.  15% fatal in pop. 80 years and up, 10% in the 70 to 80 year range and so on.  2.5 percent in total.  That's 25 times more deadly than H1N1 and its 3 times more transmissible.  

Hate to say it, season ticket spots will open up when things resume.  

It is inevitable that we will all catch Covid 19.  Some of us have it right now and don't even know it.  It won't bother most of us, but it will kill 2.5 percent of those that catch it.  10 billion people, that's 250 million.  It is also going to cause a great recession.  

The supply line disruptions alone could do that.  The absolute cancellation of tourism and entertainment industries is going to leave billions without a predictable source of income. 

Great time to grow your own garden.  Like a big one.  

Heard it kills obese stupid morons at an alarming rate.  50% Cull at Walmart?  :frantic:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

We likey won't know that for a while. It's probably the last thing on the NHLs mind right now.

Excuse me? Stop spreading misinformation.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu%3famp=true

These are early reports but according to John Hopkins and other sources as well they suspect airborne is one of the ways the virus can travel and infect. Living in the air hours after the infected person has left. 

This is coming from John Hopkins and is not misinformation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu%3famp=true

These are early reports but according to John Hopkins and other sources as well they suspect airborne is one of the ways the virus can travel and infect. Living in the air hours after the infected person has left. 

This is coming from John Hopkins and is not misinformation.

So far this has not been confirmed. Granted, places like dental clinics where aerosols are used makes it potentially "possible", but it is still not known to be transmitted like that and certainly not airborne in the common open air. It's good to be alert but not alarmist when there are still unknowns.

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

So far this has not been confirmed. Granted, places like dental clinics where aerosols are used makes it potentially "possible", but it is still not known to be transmitted like that and certainly not airborne in the common open air. It's good to be alert but not alarmist when there are still unknowns.

Agreed, it is still unknown and currently being investigated and examined. It’s good to keep in mind and be aware of all aspects of the virus whether it be possible transmission methods or confirmed transmission methods.

If players and owner wants the playoffs to take place, they would have to make some compromises related to CBA to being adjusted for one season and back to normal the next season if pandemic has died down or shorten the season after the playoffs is being played with short training camp to ensure that players would get the proper training during the off-season..  NHLPA has to sign off to agree with format for next two season or just cancel the season and start anew in the off-season on July 1st and agree to a lower cap with rollback salary for all players under contract for one season would make the most sense to ensure that players would be able to earn and all players on UFA would be able to sign as if it were projected to be 84 million dollars then roll back their salary the same as players who is already under contract for next season.  Complainant buyout should also be considered.  Should they exceed the revenue for next season then they would be paid back to the salary that they have lost.   Keeping in mind, the players do not get paid for the playoffs or the next 4 weeks of the season so they will miss 2 remaining paychecks if the league decides to go straight to the playoffs after this thing is over.