The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Canucks are technically in, aren't they? The standings show VAN and NSH each played 69 games, each team has 78 points, VAN has 36 wins, NSH has 35. 

So, isn't VAN ahead of NSH?

This season RW (regulation wins) comes ahead of ROW (regulation and OT wins excluding shootouts) and then only it's wins of all kind.  Nashville has 28 regular wins to Vancouver's 27.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Yes, but with us only playing 69 games all things are not equal here. As I broke down in my post, if you go by the points per game average we’re actually ahead of the Jets and Flames, therefore putting us in a playoff position.  

Tell that to Nashville and Winnipeg who also have less than 82 games played but are in wild card position.

This thing’s gonna get cancelled. We’re talking 4 to 7 weeks before Corovid-19 PEAKS. That means another 4-10 weeks for it to go down and that is all speculation so far. 

Other speculation calls for Corovid-19 to make its way South for their winter, and come back North next fall.

55 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I could totally be misunderstanding things, but I think it's kind of the other way around.  For countries that don't do their part, more people will get infected and so the pandemic will burn itself out faster.  In countries that do their part, it lasts longer but far fewer people will be impacted.

I saw this infographic on the subject:

No photo description available.

Yes, it will go through the community faster and herd immunity will come faster but the key point there is the mortality rate will be much higher as the health care system is not equipped to handle sudden massive increases in illnesses.  

The dotted line is the key one on this graph.

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yes, it will go through the community faster and herd immunity will come faster but the key point there is the mortality rate will be much higher as the health care system is not equipped to handle sudden massive increases in illnesses.  

The dotted line is the key one on this graph.

That's what I was thinking.  And if you apply that to the statement I was quoting, it will actually take longer for countries that act fast to get back to normal which will impact sports longer but save more lives.

• Thanks 1

SN panel just talking about Green, and what a good coach he's become. Some funny stories about Green's poker days. Apparently he's a really good player. Maybe we're a little tough on Travis, maybe he actually is a good coach? Looking back on Willie, the coaching is better.

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

No, because that would mean pathetic teams like Detroit, gets a chance to win the cup (not saying they would, but the idea they get to play in a playoff round robin is bs). A line should still be drawn somewhere.

They are not going to get to play an 82 game season so someone is going to get screwed or you give everyone a chance.  

We are in a playoff fight, if they open in May and say okay we are starting the playoffs now, those who were in when we shut down are in and those who were out are out.  

Then we are out.  

If a team comes in and loses to Detroit then they didn't deserve to win simple as that. 

If the Stanley cup goes out this year, which I don't think it will, it won't be under normal circumstances.

There is no fair hear.  Teams can't even get together and practice or use the communal facilities.  If they are off for a month working out on their own, how ready are they going to be when they come back.

38 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Tell that to Nashville and Winnipeg who also have less than 82 games played but are in wild card position.

....it’s simple math; win percentage puts every team on an equal playing field, don’t see how anyone could cry about that. 

23 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They are not going to get to play an 82 game season so someone is going to get screwed or you give everyone a chance.  

Everyone is getting screwed but no one is getting screwed any more than anyone else is if you go by win percentage.... puts everyone on an equal playing field. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

SN panel just talking about Green, and what a good coach he's become. Some funny stories about Green's poker days. Apparently he's a really good player. Maybe we're a little tough on Travis, maybe he actually is a good coach? Looking back on Willie, the coaching is better.

People want change for the sake of it because the grass is always greener

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

....it’s simple math; win percentage puts every team on an equal playing field, don’t see how anyone could cry about that. 

Everyone is getting screwed but no one is getting screwed any more than anyone else is if you go by win percentage.... puts everyone on an equal playing field. 

It’s not simple. It’s one billions dollars worth of not simple.

18 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Haven't seen it posted yet.  Apologies if it has already.

4fceab0.jpg

It’s one way to consider. However, many other considerations on how to deal with this situation have been put forth.