The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

38 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Just heard the sports guy on Global News saw that they may look at ending the season later in July. Wow

I listened to an interview with Bettman.  Basically every option is on the table for now.

54 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Just heard the sports guy on Global News saw that they may look at ending the season later in July. Wow

How I think they should approach it, given teams were told to make sure of arena availability until the end of July, would be,

1 month delay = play remainder of season/playoffs as usual,

1.5 months delay = play to 75 games, playoffs as usual,

2 month delay = season ends on pts%, playoffs as usual,

2+ months = cancel everything.

As for those calling for a potential shortened '20-'21 season just to play out this season's playoffs, I think this virus has already damaged this season enough, no need for it to affect the following season as well.

• Like 1

So, heard something interesting earlier and now can't find it again.

Basically, it was that there's a fairly high risk right now, that they may need to reduce the cap next year from the current 81.5 million, to account for lost revenue this season.

It's been floated that to do this and to accommodate teams who are already pushed to the limits of the cap, that they may provision that each team has 1, cap neutral buyout available to them, similar to when they did the big adjustment years ago.

If this happened, it would effectively allow us to buy out Loui Eriksson's remaining dollars on his contract and make him a UFA again, without a penalty. His contract and number against the cap would just cease to exist.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, heard something interesting earlier and now can't find it again.

Basically, it was that there's a fairly high risk right now, that they may need to reduce the cap next year from the current 81.5 million, to account for lost revenue this season.

It's been floated that to do this and to accommodate teams who are already pushed to the limits of the cap, that they may provision that each team has 1, cap neutral buyout available to them, similar to when they did the big adjustment years ago.

If this happened, it would effectively allow us to buy out Loui Eriksson's remaining dollars on his contract and make him a UFA again, without a penalty. His contract and number against the cap would just cease to exist.

That would actually make a lot of sense as the 84-88 likely can't happen anymore.  Drop it down and allow teams to take out 1 contract to make it work.  Would be interesting if a change like this could actually positively impact the Canucks from a hockey operations standpoint.

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

How I think they should approach it, given teams were told to make sure of arena availability until the end of July, would be,

1 month delay = play remainder of season/playoffs as usual,

1.5 months delay = play to 75 games, playoffs as usual,

2 month delay = season ends on pts%, playoffs as usual,

2+ months = cancel everything.

As for those calling for a potential shortened '20-'21 season just to play out this season's playoffs, I think this virus has already damaged this season enough, no need for it to affect the following season as well.

Agreed.  I think they would rather throw away this season before impacting this season and next. 

However, the interesting part of this is that the virus will likely re-emerge at the start of next season after a flattening over summer.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed.  I think they would rather throw away this season before impacting this season and next. 

However, the interesting part of this is that the virus will likely re-emerge at the start of next season after a flattening over summer.

Tough to say until we get there. You'd think they'll be more prepared for a resurgence in the fall after it flattens out, shouldn't be as much of a problem then right?

But this no hockey nonsense is already driving me nuts. It's one thing to expect the season to end, but this? I feel like that baby that got its candy taken.

12 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Tough to say until we get there. You'd think they'll be more prepared for a resurgence in the fall after it flattens out, shouldn't be as much of a problem then right?

But this no hockey nonsense is already driving me nuts. It's one thing to expect the season to end, but this? I feel like that baby that got its candy taken.

Spanish flu came back three times, but with today’s medical research I think there will be a vaccine by summer for Covid-19.  The heard will be vaccinated before round two.  

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

That would actually make a lot of sense as the 84-88 likely can't happen anymore.  Drop it down and allow teams to take out 1 contract to make it work.  Would be interesting if a change like this could actually positively impact the Canucks from a hockey operations standpoint.

So, if something like this actually happened, I wonder if they would allow a team to trade a player to another team that didn't have anyone that needed to be bought out.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, if something like this actually happened, I wonder if they would allow a team to trade a player to another team that didn't have anyone that needed to be bought out.

It would likely depend on who would have to actually pay the money as well.  Owners may be leery after losing a lot of money and the risk of it in the fall again.

Dear Sportsnet,

Please immediately stop all current programming, go into your archives, and play all footage in its entirety,  starting March 13, 2011. 
 Sincerely,

A Canucks Fan. 

(I know, selfish, but one can dream and long for something to escape this madness...)

Edited by zapperman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, High and Inside said:

Playoff games without fans isn’t an option as far as I’m concerned. I say wait this out two weeks and if at that point this thing has flatlined then you could possibly save the season and if things are out of control then shut it down, no Stanley Cup, will see you in October. 

If games without fans can be done safely, you'd rather no hockey in a time where most of us could really use something positive?

53 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If games without fans can be done safely, you'd rather no hockey in a time where most of us could really use something positive?

If it’s one game here or there in the regular season then fine. An entire playoff without fans? Absolutely not. I’ve been waiting my whole life for my team to win and that would be so disappointing having zero atmosphere in the building for a championship. I don’t think it will be an option anyways as this is almost assuredly a 4-6 month time period before things ease to consider any options.