The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

The Season could be easily saved

IF

Draconian measures happen, isolate the players from the public. If after 14 days no NHL player gets the virus, then they can play without fans. ALL players on the roster would need to be clear or not play.

Truthfully none of these players is in any real danger of a fatality but people they know could be at risk.

The players would have to stay isolated for the term of the playoffs. An absence would disqualify a player for an additional 14 days. Until the rest of the population gets the all clear to congregate.

2 hours ago, Amaneey said:

Not sure if this has been talked about, but does anyone know what/if there will be salary cap implications due to this shut down? The league is obviously losing tonnes of revenue right now.

I think the cap was supposed to be 84-88 million next year..

Those projections were already put in doubt before even the league shutting down.  It was assuming the full escalator but it was unlikely that the players would apply the full escalator given how concerned they are over escrow.  

There is going to be significant loss in revenue but it's not feasible to just drop the cap - there would be too many teams needing to shed salary.  The cap will probably stay close to its current level - similar to back in 2012/13 after the lockout.  Revenue dropped but they kept the cap flat and teams were offered 2 compliance buyouts as part of the CBA negotiations.

There is no CBA dispute so a compliance buyout might not be in the cards.  Keeping the cap flat would make sense though. 

Today LeBrun writes "common sense will prevail when it comes to the cap".  

1 hour ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Imagine this

middle of May or June hockey comes back no season, straight to playoffs, playoffs become best  of 3 instead of 7 

Vancouver finally wins its first cup but never respected by media or other teams for it as it Was not won traditionally like all other teams 

calling it now

I'll take it :ph34r:

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Flames fans had to step up with a go fund me campaign (which many players have donated to) 

to me this is even more embarrassing to the flames ownership group 

this is after the Calgary citizens Had to fund their pathetic new arena

from a news outlet :

A fundraiser for hourly employees at the Calgary's Scotiabank Saddledome has raised more than $39,000 after the venue owner told hourly staff they won't be paid for shifts lost during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Raymond Lau, who started the fundraiser, is criticizing Calgary Sports and Entertainment for not paying employees when other sports organizations are doing so.

Flames players Milan Lucic, Sam Bennett and Zac Rinaldo, along with the wives of players TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano, have contributed to the Calgary fundraiser so far.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Those projections were already put in doubt before even the league shutting down.  It was assuming the full escalator but it was unlikely that the players would apply the full escalator given how concerned they are over escrow.  

There is going to be significant loss in revenue but it's not feasible to just drop the cap - there would be too many teams needing to shed salary.  The cap will probably stay close to its current level - similar to back in 2012/13 after the lockout.  Revenue dropped but they kept the cap flat and teams were offered 2 compliance buyouts as part of the CBA negotiations.

There is no CBA dispute so a compliance buyout might not be in the cards.  Keeping the cap flat would make sense though. 

Today LeBrun writes "common sense will prevail when it comes to the cap".  

There was a suggestion that the NHL institute a hard cap for 2 years so the loss this year could be spread over two seasons. This would demand the players use the escalator without knowing hockey revenues and could dramatically reduce their salaries.

The other option is a reduced cap even if eh NHLPA uses the full escalator this season only.

It is a really bad notion that the NHL might use the possibility of shutting down this season as a negotiation bargaining chip but the opportunity is there. IMO they are stupid if they try that though, it would galvanize the membership and next CBA will be difficult.

On the players side though is they have been paid most of their contracts already and the NHL will not want two out of three season without a Stanley Cup awarded so they could do similar.

Edited by Lazurus

Wait and see is a common suggestion.

These forums are for entertainment and they offer diversion.

I can forsee many issues if the season is lost or delayed.

A delay has a massive amount of problems, contracts end July 1, the league cannot arbitrarily extend them, the  one week open to talk to free agents, the draft and draft order if not all games are played and players are not the only one's whose contracts expire on July 1, some upper management end or earlier. Fans could be in an uproar if their team misses by a couple of points because the entire season isn't played out, just so my position is clear I thought the Canucks would miss by 4 points and I am not sure they will not use the tie breakers now. They are there for ties in the standings. Point percentages have never been a tie breaker.

The start of the next season if this one is delayed too long. Buyouts, that is something the NHL could allow, extra buyouts that don't hit the cap, that is within Bettman's power or used to be.You know Montreal, Minnesota will take advantage of that immediately to shed the three times as bad Luongo type contracts they signed knowing the penalties.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

A delay has a massive amount of problems, contracts end July 1, the league cannot arbitrarily extend them, the  one week open to talk to free agents, the draft and draft order if not all games are played and players are not the only one's whose contracts expire on July 1, some upper management end or earlier. Fans could be in an uproar if their team misses by a couple of points because the entire season isn't played out, just so my position is clear I thought the Canucks would miss by 4 points and I am not sure they will not use the tie breakers now. They are there for ties in the standings.

The start of the next season if this one is delayed too long. Buyouts, that is something the NHL could allow, extra buyouts that don't hit the cap, that is within Bettman's power or used to be.You know Montreal, Minnesota will take advantage of that immediately to shed the three times as bad Luongo type contracts they signed knowing the penalties.

Habs buyout Weber for sure.  We buyout Myers, and sign Weber.  That’s a big win fir us.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Habs buyout Weber for sure.  We buyout Myers, and sign Weber.  That’s a big win fir us.  

you know I don't do it, but this is a great time for fantasy leagues using stats for play. The fact that i posted that sentence indicates my ignorance of fantasy leagues if they are still operating. Reality first and only.

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

A delay has a massive amount of problems, contracts end July 1, the league cannot arbitrarily extend them, the  one week open to talk to free agents, the draft and draft order if not all games are played and players are not the only one's whose contracts expire on July 1, some upper management end or earlier. Fans could be in an uproar if their team misses by a couple of points because the entire season isn't played out, just so my position is clear I thought the Canucks would miss by 4 points and I am not sure they will not use the tie breakers now. They are there for ties in the standings.

Since players do not get paid in the playoffs it would simply be a matter of insurance being extended until the playoffs are over. Not a big deal really.

Things like free agency and the draft can be done in fairly short order so I don’t see that being an issue.

If need be they could also push next season back a month by shortening preseason or reducing the season to 75 games. 

There’s many options that can allow both seasons to be played without disrupting things too much. 

That is of course if this thing gets under control in the next couple months.

You gotta think that if it came down to a vote both owners and players would rather finish this season at the cost of significantly shorter 2020/21 season than to cancel.

No competitive person or athlete could stomach battling for almost a full season to simply have it end without anything.

I personally would rather have two seasons with an asterisk than one season without a cup.