The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, FijianCanuck said:

Heard on the radio that the nba likely will be back mid june the earliest. Tough for NHL to resume unless they to straight to playoffs and have shorter series.

Best of 3 and the final best of 5 or 7?

Unless players keep in shape which I imagine will be harder to do. Would player safety be an issue? 

Would the world hockey fans want hockey past Canada day? 

Imo I really think the nhl should take a hit in money this year and go again next year. No one makes playsoffs. Draft will be done over the phone or via Skype or something. Then go from there. This thing is bigger then hockey and even if it slows down in 2months the risk of events, tourists, ect.... Is still there and likely will come back to be a big deal like Sars was. I almost think we shouldn't have sports till we have a vaccine or basically full control of this thing.  150k cases in 3months. I read in another 3months we are on pace for 500k cases. I think media is over hyping it. Doctors are not super worried. People are either freaking out with buying toliet paper for a year of severe poops or don't think they will be affected. Especially us younger people. We most likely won't die but older people are at a much higher risk. Losing parents, uncles, aunts, in laws, and grandparents is not what we want at all. Better be safe then sorry. 

It's just money and pleasure at the end of day. 

I am probably 6/10 on the freaking out scale. Feel like cdc is roughly a 3/10 from what I read. Sorry for being the crazy one lol

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess is they'll cancel the season, no playoffs or Cup awarded. I just can't see how life is supposed to resume normally in the next few months. 

The way this is going the panic could be worse than the virus as not only are they cleaning out the grocery stores but also the gun stores. Gonna shoot the virus I guess. 
I can’t help but think this season is done as this virus in the US is taking off like an Australian bush fire. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

The way this is going the panic could be worse than the virus as not only are they cleaning out the grocery stores but also the gun stores. Gonna shoot the virus I guess. 
I can’t help but think this season is done as this virus in the US is taking off like an Australian bush fire. 

I agree, had to laugh about shooting the virus, but that's concerning too. Panicked, desperate people who are armed. Scary.

I'm thinking if there's no hockey, maybe until fall, we'll have to come up with some ideas on topics. I suspect the Coronavirus Outbreak thread will eventually reach 1,000 pages. Will they have the NHL Draft? I'm expecting they will, but if the Canucks technically made the playoffs this season, then they have no 1st this year. Or 2nd. Kind of a boring Draft for the Canucks if that happens. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm thinking if there's no hockey, maybe until fall, we'll have to come up with some ideas on topics. I suspect the Coronavirus Outbreak thread will eventually reach 1,000 pages. Will they have the NHL Draft? I'm expecting they will, but if the Canucks technically made the playoffs this season, then they have no 1st this year. Or 2nd. Kind of a boring Draft for the Canucks if that happens. 

Logically if no playoffs even if we were 1st we keep the pick. A few other teams iirc have conditional trades so we wouldn't be the only ones upset

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I honestly can’t see the the NHL resuming play before start of June at the earliest.

Really?

If we are locked down for four weeks straight that could 'flatten the curve' and open up May dates imo

Edited by Shift-4

25 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Really?

If we are locked down for four weeks straight that could 'flatten the curve' and open up May dates imo

Don’t count on four weeks. Still a lot of people on the move. Four months may be closer. 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, spur1 said:

gotta protect their White Gold.. sheesh.. 

At this point I’d prefer they just say seasons not going to happen. No sense hanging onto something that more then likely won’t happen. Take our first this year and prepare for next year. I would guess we are 3 months away from things being normal again. Sad but pretty realistic imo. They don’t shut borders down and everything back to normal a month after. No way

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

There will be new cases for months at best. All the measures will indeed slow it down, but passing from person to person (some without symptoms) I can't see life returning to normal any time remotely soon. Reopening any public venues will just prolong things so I expect restrictions to be in place for a long time.

Hate to say it, but I am not even confident we can stop it at all unless literally every single Canadian is ordered by law to self isolate for 2 weeks. That isn't feasible when you consider people need supplies, policing, medical care, etc - but even if it was there are many holes which would likely allow a handful of cases to keep going, and even a handful can spread out of control quickly.

The season will be cancelled. There is really no way around it that I can see. And while that sucks, it is the least of our worries.

I am not a negative person, but I am a realist. This virus will change our lives for a prolonged time and I believe it will only end once a vaccine has been made, tested, produced and administered. 

Just creating an effective vaccine is expected to take 12-18 months by what I have read. 

It's gonna be a long haul, folks. I am no scientist, but I predict at least 4-6 months of measures similar to what we are seeing right now, and several years of economic recovery and possible travel restrictions.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

There will be new cases for months at best. All the measures will indeed slow it down, but passing from person to person (some without symptoms) I can't see life returning to normal any time remotely soon. Reopening any public venues will just prolong things so I expect restrictions to be in place for a long time.

Hate to say it, but I am not even confident we can stop it at all unless literally every single Canadian is ordered by law to self isolate for 2 weeks. That isn't feasible when you consider people need supplies, policing, medical care, etc - but even if it was there are many holes which would likely allow a handful of cases to keep going, and even a handful can spread out of control quickly.

The season will be cancelled. There is really no way around it that I can see. And while that sucks, it is the least of our worries.

I am not a negative person, but I am a realist. This virus will change our lives for a prolonged time and I believe it will only end once a vaccine has been made, tested, produced and administered. 

Just creating an effective vaccine is expected to take 12-18 months by what I have read. 

It's gonna be a long haul, folks. I am no scientist, but I predict at least 4-6 months of measures similar to what we are seeing right now, and several years of economic recovery and possible travel restrictions.

To put it lightly and respectfully, this is quite a reach. We are already seeing drops in both new cases and deaths worldwide. The NHL wouldn’t be optimistic about a resume in May if they didn’t think it was at all possible. 

6 hours ago, Pears said:

To put it lightly and respectfully, this is quite a reach. We are already seeing drops in both new cases and deaths worldwide. The NHL wouldn’t be optimistic about a resume in May if they didn’t think it was at all possible. 

We are?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

We are?

Seeing as we are now approaching 200,000 infected worldwide in the next couple of days, I'd say he/she is extremely uninformed.  Seemed like just a short while ago we were approaching the 100,000.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Seeing as we are now approaching 200,000 infected worldwide in the next couple of days, I'd say he/she is extremely uninformed.  Seemed like just a short while ago we were approaching the 100,000.

in the last 24 hrs Italy had 3000 more cases and 350 more deaths........in 24 hrs.

• Wat 1