The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

On 3/16/2020 at 3:32 AM, samurai said:

The virus may 'disappear' for a bit but it will be back in the fall - you can take that to the bank.  This is what happened with SARS.  People need to get used to living with this for the next few years.  SARS which i went through went from Nov 2002 until July 2003.  

Not saying you're wrong, but I noticed you have posted the bolded a few times. Years, yet then you compare it to SARS, which according to your post was around for 8 months?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Took exactly 12 weeks for the herd immunity to take effect in China.  They suspended their leagues for that long, and are now starting up again.  Why should the events be any different here?  

Because China took measures that would be completely unacceptable in our society.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

If they can't have a regular 4 round, 7 game series' playoffs (which takes 2 months) then forget it. I don't care about them finishing the regular season, just seed them as per pts % or whatever they deem fair. That being said June 1st should be the drop-dead date that the NHL aims for to start the playoffs, that gives them until the end of July to finish this season and gives 6 weeks off before training camp. Playing into August and trying to delay next season just screws up 2 seasons, i'd rather just bite the bullet and lose this season and hope for a normal season to start in Oct. There was about a 35% chance the Canucks season would have ended April 4th anyways at last check hehe.

Edited by GritGrinder

19 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

If they can't have a regular 4 round, 7 game series' playoffs (which takes 2 months) then forget it. I don't care about them finishing the regular season, just seed them as per pts % or whatever they deem fair. That being said June 1st should be the drop-dead date that the NHL aims for to start the playoffs, that gives them until the end of July to finish this season and gives 6 weeks off before training camp. Playing into August and trying to delay next season just screws up 2 seasons, i'd rather just bite the bullet and lose this season and hope for a normal season to start in Oct. There was about a 35% chance the Canucks season would have ended April 4th anyways at last check hehe.

From the sounds of it I don’t think the players or GMs are interested in expanding the format to include more teams.

However condensing early rounds to 5 games may be necessary. Hopefully not.

Edited by DeNiro

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

From the sounds of it I don’t think the players or GMs are interested in expanding the format to include more teams.

However condensing early rounds to 5 games may be necessary. Hopefully not.

But really a 5 game first round saves what...4 days over a 7 game first round?

20 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

But really a 5 game first round saves what...4 days over a 7 game first round?

I don’t think it will come to that.

But 8 days over the first two rounds might be necessary depending on how long this goes.

36 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

NBA ----> More $$$$$$.  So they get access to test faster I'd imagine.

Probs

I'm still skeptical we see hockey at all til September but if both sides are willing to make it work who knows 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, hammertime said:

so hypothetically if the season resumes in July and everyone is healthy how do we fit under the cap?

They would have to jump straight into playoffs or eliminate the cap for the final stretch of games.

Resuming the season after teams made moves based on injured players wouldn’t work.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well it looks like both the players and GMs are motivated to finish this season at all costs. Even if it means playing hockey in July and August.

To all the people saying this season is for sure done, not so fast. Still hope that this thing gets under control in 3 months and we’ll all be hanging at the beach and watching hockey!

To much money involved, billionaires aren't gonna lose millions without a fight and it will give people jobs. 

Legit question. How do you sell tickets for playoffs if people just starting working, economy is recovering but slowly, ect... 

Not like people will go back to spending money on tickets, team wear, ect... Immediately that is. 

1 hour ago, milk and honey said:

To much money involved, billionaires aren't gonna lose millions without a fight and it will give people jobs. 

Legit question. How do you sell tickets for playoffs if people just starting working, economy is recovering but slowly, ect... 

Not like people will go back to spending money on tickets, team wear, ect... Immediately that is. 

Some people will be out of work, some people will be hurting in the stock market.....others will be dying to go to a full arena full of screaming fans.  

On 3/11/2020 at 7:24 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

No one really knows. This could get very bad if the strain mutates. Being old, infirm, or having a compromised respiratory system will mean nothing if it infects enough people. I work from home twice a week now, which I'm happy about, but I still take a triple shot of public transit three times a week.

This is definitely not going to go away in a few weeks. More like months.

This is just wave 1. They're expecting 3 waves each one worse than the last over the next 18 months. Our economy is about to collapse if that's the case

Edited by Brock Botanen

35 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Cant we just trade the Coronavirus to the 

This is just wave 1. They're expecting 3 waves each one worse than the last over the next 18 months. Our economy is about to collapse if that's the case

I wouldn't get too excited about that.  We don't know what is going to happen here.  It may be like SARS and fade through the summer to return in the fall.  It may be like H1N1 which is still around but herd immunity has reduced it significantly.  It may be like the Spanish flu which came in three waves with the second being the deadliest.  It may be like the plague that lasted 300 years.  

Though with immunizations, mitigation strategies etc 300 years is unlikely.

I am not an expert on the economy but I think there will be a pretty rapid recovery once we come out of this thing.  They should really just shutdown trading for a while.