Sign in to follow this  
Glug Datt

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

On 5/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, Down by the River said:

Edmonton's hotels... are not comparable to Vancouver's...It's silly to think non-tourist destinations like Edmonton and Minnesota have similar infrastructure compared to Vancouver. 

Lmao you need to go to Minneapolis before claiming things like that. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NucksCelts said:

Lmao you need to go to Minneapolis before claiming things like that. 

Lmao you need to google how many hotels are in both cities and then let me know what you find. Hint: the downtown core of Vancouver has more than the entirety of Minneapolis and St. Paul. If you looked at Metro Vancouver, there are nearly 3x as many facilities. 

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/what-a-24-team-stanley-cup-playoff-format-could-look-like-and-what-questions-still-need-to-be-answered/amp/

Edit: On further inspection it would actually be the Blackhawks. Looks like the article had the wrong team.

Imagine playing the Blackhawks again! What a great series that would be.

I hope it’s not best of 3 though. It has to be best of 5 minimum. Any player will tell you some teams don’t hit their stride till game three. Too many potentially great series could be over before they start if a team stumbles in the first two games.

I would even prefer 7 games.  I don't think an extra week is that big of a deal at this point.  3 games is just way too short, barely shaking off the rust.  With no travel or sharing arenas with the NBA they can play every other night.  

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Lmao you need to google how many hotels are in both cities and then let me know what you find. Hint: the downtown core of Vancouver has more than the entirety of Minneapolis and St. Paul. If you looked at Metro Vancouver, there are nearly 3x as many facilities. 

Minni is a business hub with a lot of good hotels, it wouldn't have any problems hosting from that pov. Vegas seems like an ideal choice in many ways. Vancouver and Vegas would be neat choices, wherever the finals end up at least there wouldn't be a time zone issue. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

These hub cities must remain in the same country. You can’t have that 14 day quarantine interfering with this. In fact, I would say making one city alone is the wiser move. Keep players and support services in one area where you can continue to test and monitor without new people potentially infecting others.

As much as I like our city to take this on, Vegas makes the most sense hotel wise but what about ice? Vancouver does have plenty of facilities.

Nevada or B.C. are in very good position in terms of low numbers of infected persons and deaths. These idiots in Toronto need to stop. Ontario is not appropriate because of this issue. 

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Vegas seems like an ideal choice in many ways

I thought the same thing. Brand new arena, no shortage of high-end hotels with ample conference rooms and whatnot. The NHL and its teams can afford to build weight rooms no problem provided they have the space to do it.

The one issue I'm thinking the city of Vegas might have would be providing enough high-quality ice surfaces for the teams to practice, especially if they go with the two hub city plan and have 8-12 teams in each city. How many ice rinks can there be in Vegas? How many of those are capable of providing what the NHL needs?

13 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I thought the same thing. Brand new arena, no shortage of high-end hotels with ample conference rooms and whatnot. The NHL and its teams can afford to build weight rooms no problem provided they have the space to do it.

The one issue I'm thinking the city of Vegas might have would be providing enough high-quality ice surfaces for the teams to practice, especially if they go with the two hub city plan and have 8-12 teams in each city. How many ice rinks can there be in Vegas? How many of those are capable of providing what the NHL needs?

Vegas isn’t ideal for me just because of that. Practice facilities are going to be key and I doubt Vegas has more than a couple sheets of ice for that.

Add to that the 100 degree weather and it would be tough to host multiple games a day and have team practices.

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 8:38 PM, Provost said:

Manifestly not true.

Massive ratings and interest in it if they manage to be putting on live games while folks are still limited.

That is why the league is pushing for it to keep their broadcast partners happy.

Doubt it. We shall see.

Edited by Disgruntler
  • Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Ya, it seems like a good idea at first blush but having 12 teams share the two ice rinks (aside from the Arena where the games would be played) would be pretty crazy, especially if they have to all be there for two weeks running training camps beforehand.  The practice facility has 3 sheets, but I don’t know how extensive their dressing rooms, gyms etc in order to allow multiple teams to practice and work out.

I also can't see them having a hub in Canada and one in the USA, as they would have to deal with quarantine periods.  Both should be in the US or both in Canada.

Edited by Provost
  • Hydration 1

19 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I thought I saw an article that said its all right in the same facility, the hotel, practice and regular play rinks are all in the same place.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I thought I saw an article that said its all right in the same facility, the hotel, practice and regular play rinks are all in the same place.

From what I can get on Google, there's 3 year-round rinks in the city of Las Vegas and 4 seasonal rinks. Keep in mind some of these are in hotels. I've no idea what the quality of the facilities is like. I just can't imagine there's enough NHL-quality facilities in Vegas, especially if they go with a 24 team format.

16 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

From what I can get on Google, there's 3 year-round rinks in the city of Las Vegas and 4 seasonal rinks. Keep in mind some of these are in hotels. I've no idea what the quality of the facilities is like. I just can't imagine there's enough NHL-quality facilities in Vegas, especially if they go with a 24 team format.

so 12 team groupings - one set here and one in Vegas. I haven't done the math but lets say they play 2 games per day, you could have a mini-round to determine the top 16 pretty quickly and then just head right into four 7 game regular playoff rounds, again playing 2 games per day at least during the quarter finals. I could see it working and ending sometime in Sept. 

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so 12 team groupings - one set here and one in Vegas. I haven't done the math but lets say they play 2 games per day, you could have a mini-round to determine the top 16 pretty quickly and then just head right into four 7 game regular playoff rounds, again playing 2 games per day at least during the quarter finals. I could see it working and ending sometime in Sept. 

Columbus is apparently the other city in consideration for the other hub per Chris Johnston.  

41 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

The Athletic counted 5 sheets of ice to practice - they did an evaluation of the potential hubs several weeks ago.  City National Arena, their practice facility, has 2 sheets of ice.  There's 2 sheets at Las Vegas Ice Center and another one at Sobe arena.  Steve Carp who covers Vegas lists 2 more options.  

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It is the practice and other infrastructure that is the issue.

I think wherever it gets played it will be a single arena for the actual televised games.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

Seems like if they decide on just 2 cities, both will be in the US.  No sense in exasperating the cross border hassle if  just two cities divide the games. (And no way Gary would ever consider both in Canada)

If they go with 4 cities, they could have 2 in the States, and 2 in Canada. Have each divisional championship stay in one place for the first round. Then narrow it down to one city in each country right through the conference championships.  Final in Las Vegas?

Edited by kilgore
  • Hydration 1

11 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Seems like if they decide on just 2 cities, both will be in the US.  No sense in exasperating the cross border hassle if  just two cities divide the games. (And no way Gary would ever consider both in Canada)

If they go with 4 cities, they could have 2 in the States, and 2 in Canada. Have each divisional championship stay in one place for the first round. Then narrow it down to one city in each country right through the conference championships.  Final in Las Vegas?

I been watching quite a bit of the U.S. news lately,.  I don’t know that they have truly paid attention to there “curve” graphs with this pandemic.  ..  now raising its head with young children.

I do though, think that Canada,  and Canadians stood side by side ( 6ft apart ;) ).. in this curb and control defence.

Should definitely be 1 Canadian city, considering the borders are basically closed to travel til mid June,.  And add another 2 weeks “home quarantine”. ..  I do think Canada is a better option for 2 cities with no spectators.

.IF the games are without Spectators.  demographically, Training facilities (7 rinks ;) or more)..   Vancouver should be a target.

Hats off to Hogan for stepping right up to that,  and the way BC,  B Henry in general have handled this entire Pandemic issue.

Trudeau and his crew deserve some credit as well for making sure CERB worked effectively 1st.

• Upvote 1

Can someone explain to me the rationale for not wanting to see the 2019-2020 season play out? I've seen so many people on Twitter whining about hockey continuing... and it doesn't seem like they are concerned about health. Is there anyone on CDC that actually doesn't want to see hockey until the Fall?

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Can someone explain to me the rationale for not wanting to see the 2019-2020 season play out? I've seen so many people on Twitter whining about hockey continuing... and it doesn't seem like they are concerned about health. Is there anyone on CDC that actually doesn't want to see hockey until the Fall?

I was thinking that too. FB is teaming with these whiners,  Half of them are CNN scare report victims and the other half have even worse arguments why it shouldn't happen. I think people are worried they won't get to collect their last CERN check, thats what it's really about. They figure if the NHL starts up they will have to go back to work before the CERN runs out.

• Confused 2