The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

I'm not on social media so I don't know what other people are saying on there, so I'm only speaking for myself here:

I'm not interested in seeing any attempt to revive/finish the 2019-20 season.  For me, the season has already been lost and it's over; I've figuratively 'grieved' the loss and have moved on.  If the league and PA attempt to finish the season, I personally think I'd have a hard time getting re-engaged. 

An analogy I might use would be this: it's like watching a good movie at home after you've put your kids to bed, then close to the finish, there's a crisis with the kids that forces you to abandon the movie and deal with the situation.  After things calm down a few hours later, are you really going to be in the mood to start watching the movie again where you left off?  I know I wouldn't be.  And that's similar to how I feel about the attempt to re-boot the 19-20 season.

What's more, attempting to finish off the 19-20 season will negatively impact the 20-21 season--whether it's because of the late start or because the teams that went deep in the pseudo-playoffs for 19-20 won't have an off-season to recover.  After all, under the proposals being considered, (re-)training camps wouldn't start until July and that means after the play-ins and the play-offs, the Cup wouldn't be awarded until late September at the earliest, which is when training camps for the next season would normally begin.

So in trying to finish the 19-20, it would mean the pandemic will seriously impact not just one but TWO seasons.  Personally, I'd rather they set things up so that the 20-21 season can begin as normally as COVID-19 allows because I DO believe the regular season is important to the overall narrative of a season: to go back to my movie analogy, the regular season is like all the dramatic buildup that leads to the (hopefully exciting) conclusion. 

Honestly, there's no dishonour in cancelling a season due to an unprecedented global pandemic; far less than cancelling a season because of a labour dispute (*cough* 2004 *cough*).  And even though it's not the same as other "asterisks" that have been applied in sports history (like MLB and cheaters), the winner of the 19-20 Cup (if there is one) will have always one beside their title.

Make no mistake, I miss hockey as much as anyone else on the forum does.  But I'd rather wait until fall and let the 20-21 season start right (and hopefully end right).

Big picture though, it's not about you.  It's about TV contracts.

Sportsnet paid humongous dollars for the rights to broadcast games.  NBC paid something for the same thing in the U.S.  I don't know how these deals are structured, but I am sure the NHL does not receive any of these dollars for games not played.  So this whole exercise of trying to squeeze in a playoff of some kind is about fulfilling those contracts.

It's in the players best interest to go along with it as TV deals are part of Hockey Related Revenue.  Without the revenue from all the missed games, their escrow will go through the roof.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

I'm not on social media so I don't know what other people are saying on there, so I'm only speaking for myself here:

I'm not interested in seeing any attempt to revive/finish the 2019-20 season.  For me, the season has already been lost and it's over; I've figuratively 'grieved' the loss and have moved on.  If the league and PA attempt to finish the season, I personally think I'd have a hard time getting re-engaged. 

And that's fine. I just think that there are a lot of people that take it one step further. They aren't interested in watching hockey, so they don't want anyone else to be able to watch either. I don't know what is wrong with the entitlement of people today (of all ages) that think that because they aren't interested in something, it shouldn't happen/be made. 

I can't imagine ever taking the time to actively complain about something that I have no intention of watching. What people choose to do with their time is mind boggling. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Big picture though, it's not about you.  It's about TV contracts.

Sportsnet paid humongous dollars for the rights to broadcast games.  NBC paid something for the same thing in the U.S.  I don't know how these deals are structured, but I am sure the NHL does not receive any of these dollars for games not played.  So this whole exercise of trying to squeeze in a playoff of some kind is about fulfilling those contracts.

It's in the players best interest to go along with it as TV deals are part of Hockey Related Revenue.  Without the revenue from all the missed games, their escrow will go through the roof.

Oh, I'm not saying what the league should or shouldn't do and I understand your point.  However, that wasn't the question I was responding to.  The question I was responding to was whether anyone *didn't* want to see the 19-20 finish and why.

If the league and PA (and even other fans) want to go with this, that's up to them.  All I'm saying is that if they do, I can't really see myself being all that engaged and that I'd personally rather they didn't.

Just now, Undrafted said:

Oh, I'm not saying what the league should or shouldn't do and I understand your point.  However, that wasn't the question I was responding to.  The question I was responding to was whether anyone *didn't* want to see the 19-20 finish and why.

If the league and PA (and even other fans) want to go with this, that's up to them.  All I'm saying is that if they do, I can't really see myself being all that engaged and that I'd personally rather they didn't.

Fair enough.

Personally, I think that if it wasn't for the money, the season would have already been called off.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

And that's fine. I just think that there are a lot of people that take it one step further. They aren't interested in watching hockey, so they don't want anyone else to be able to watch either. I don't know what is wrong with the entitlement of people today (of all ages) that think that because they aren't interested in something, it shouldn't happen/be made. 

I can't imagine ever taking the time to actively complain about something that I have no intention of watching. What people choose to do with their time is mind boggling. 

Oh, that's been going on since forever, most notably when it comes to music and censorship (all the way back to Elvis's swinging hips).  The only difference is that these days, the busybodies have widened their net on what they think other people should and shouldn't do and have a bigger platform to spout off about it

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Fair enough.

Personally, I think that if it wasn't for the money, the season would have already been called off.

This is it.  I can't find the info, but I heard the NHL must play out the season, or a min. of games, or networks can claim a broken contract and the league will be out a lot of money.  This, IMO, is the only reason they are not just simply leap frogging to the playoffs with the top 16 teams using winning percentage. I still think they'd try for the playoffs either way. The owners want the revenue (or at least bragging rights) Players want the chance after earning a spot. And fans of those eligible cities want the chance to watch their team lift the Cup.

I also think most of the opposition comes from non-hockey fans.  But if I am honest, I would say that is human nature. Annoying but understandable to a degree. A lot think in terms that if it doesn't do me any good personally, then I don't want to pay for it, or even be displaced by it at all.  There are hockey fans on one side of the political spectrum or the other that feel that way about either government supported social programs, or on the other end, tax breaks and subsidies for wealthy corporations. IOW there is always someone who will complain.

Screw em all. I want my hockey!!!!  :mad:

Edited by kilgore

16 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Can someone explain to me the rationale for not wanting to see the 2019-2020 season play out? I've seen so many people on Twitter whining about hockey continuing... and it doesn't seem like they are concerned about health. Is there anyone on CDC that actually doesn't want to see hockey until the Fall?

What’s the rational behind not realizing that this Virus is existing and thriving still?  

I don’t want to see the NHL return to finish this season because even behind what “safe guards” are dreamt up your asking athletes to return to a game with 40 players engaged in full physical contact, body fluids, blood, and sweat being passed around into each other’s immune systems... from one team to the next throughout a tournament.

This isn’t a one hour MMA fight between 2 fighters.. it’s far, far , from that.

And even knowing that someone might not test positive, they can be positive.

Even the testing is messed up.

So ,  we play 2 months of hockey that might totally write off the following season..    how about that financially?.. that’s the rationale. 

If there was ever a test for patience, this is it.   

Hell, start the 20/ 21 season in September with Camps opening in late July..  open the broadcasting contracts now to specifically and significantly raise the Cap next season..  The Summer movement of players and team restructuring would be dynamic.  Up the buy outs to 3 per team,. Move this age progression in its proper direction.

If the NHL can sit a season over CBA agreements,  they can certainly sit on there hands for 3 more months and come up with how the next season will open properly and in a spectacular fashion with new norms and rules solidly in place.

Times like these call for positive pragmatic moves to enhance,.  not band aid solutions to save.

Edited by SilentSam

14 hours ago, Timbermen said:

I was thinking that too. FB is teaming with these whiners,  Half of them are CNN scare report victims and the other half have even worse arguments why it shouldn't happen. I think people are worried they won't get to collect their last CERN check, thats what it's really about. They figure if the NHL starts up they will have to go back to work before the CERN runs out.

I don’t think the NHLPA is greeting this concept of returning to work with open arms,..  wait until the players react to this.

... would you go back to a meat packing plant for work ?

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t think the NHLPA is greeting this concept of returning to work with open arms,..  wait until the players react to this.

... would you go back to a meat packing plant for work ?

No but thats where the outbreaks happen, not an empty arena, The players have a right to be concerned and could shoot the idea down, I wouldn't blame them but If they want to play, no one should stand in their way. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Can someone explain to me the rationale for not wanting to see the 2019-2020 season play out? I've seen so many people on Twitter whining about hockey continuing... and it doesn't seem like they are concerned about health. Is there anyone on CDC that actually doesn't want to see hockey until the Fall?

I just think it won’t be the same maybe?  With the social distancing and that will every player be wearing a full face shield? How about benches? Are that many guys allowed to congregate in one area? The guys taking a 2-3 month break might make it equivalent to pre-season hockey for a bit. I want hockey, but I want it in its old form... that being said, it may never go back to the way it was.

What about other factors? Say a team like Vancouver, has markstrom and pettersson(2 difference makers) test positive for covid, does it give Vancouver a fair chance. I think there’s so many factors that have to go right for this to work out. 

What if it works out fine, then in second round of the playoffs maybe one hotel had a staff member positive and 10 players on a single team test positive or even have to do a 10 day isolation, does that team automatically forfeit?

As for people thinking that games will be played in Vancouver and Vegas, I highly doubt both would be places they go to. I would think they’d want one western city and one eastern city since their revenue will now be mostly based on viewership. I doubt even most die hard fans in the east(where most of the possible viewers live), would want to stay up until 10 possibly to watch their teams play... although I guess since every rink would have to play 3 games/day they might slot the eastern teams into like a 2pm pacific start time.  I see a place like possibly Tampa or Columbus being the eastern spot to play. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

No but thats where the outbreaks happen, not an empty arena, The players have a right to be concerned and could shoot the idea down, I wouldn't blame them but If they want to play, no one should stand in their way. 

Meat packing plants aren’t Arenas either..  40 - 50 guys going to work.. cool air and flesh. 

9 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I just think it won’t be the same maybe?  With the social distancing and that will every player be wearing a full face shield? How about benches? Are that many guys allowed to congregate in one area? The guys taking a 2-3 month break might make it equivalent to pre-season hockey for a bit. I want hockey, but I want it in its old form... that being said, it may never go back to the way it was.

What about other factors? Say a team like Vancouver, has markstrom and pettersson(2 difference makers) test positive for covid, does it give Vancouver a fair chance. I think there’s so many factors that have to go right for this to work out. 

What if it works out fine, then in second round of the playoffs maybe one hotel had a staff member positive and 10 players on a single team test positive or even have to do a 10 day isolation, does that team automatically forfeit?

As for people thinking that games will be played in Vancouver and Vegas, I highly doubt both would be places they go to. I would think they’d want one western city and one eastern city since their revenue will now be mostly based on viewership. I doubt even most die hard fans in the east(where most of the possible viewers live), would want to stay up until 10 possibly to watch their teams play... although I guess since every rink would have to play 3 games/day they might slot the eastern teams into like a 2pm pacific start time.  I see a place like possibly Tampa or Columbus being the eastern spot to play. 

It’s going to be such a fiasco S. T. 

Sorry guys, no spitting on or off the ice,.  No sweating,  Don’t touch me!  No Heavy breathing..  Shower at home, and take your gear with you..

Like you said,  these teams are going to get pulled apart with the slightest indicators of health issues..  

What about the Diabetic and Asthmatic Players, or anyone else with issues..

This is a huge gamble for 2-3 months of hockey,  for a Tainted Cup one team won’t be able to share a drink from.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

It’s going to be such a fiasco S. T. 

Sorry guys, no spitting on or off the ice,.  No sweating,  Don’t touch me!  No Heavy breathing..  Shower at home, and take your gear with you..

Like you said,  these teams are going to get pulled apart with the slightest indicators of health issues..  

What about the Diabetic and Asthmatic Players, or anyone else with issues..

This is a huge gamble for 2-3 months of hockey,  for a Tainted Cup one team won’t be able to share a drink from.

They’ll be better off than the rest of us in a controlled environment with regular testing.

Honestly people are making too big of a deal out of it.

In cities where the numbers are going down the odds of getting it are so low, and that’s without being in a controlled environment.

Once the players are given the green light they’ll play the way they always do.

As far as tainted cup. Try and tell that to the teams that grind it out for two months battling injuries and being away from their families. I guarantee they’ll be enjoying a drink from a disinfected cup.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’ll be better off than the rest of us in a controlled environment with regular testing.

In cities where the numbers are going down the odds of getting it are so low, and that’s without being in a controlled environment.

As far as tainted cup. Try and tell that to the teams that grind it out for two months battling injuries and being away from their families. I guarantee they’ll be enjoying a drink from a disinfected cup.

I don’t personally think it’s ever been a big deal. If you catch it, you have a one in 12 chance of dying. And about 00.0005% of the world’s population has died from it so far. 

I’d rather get on with life, but you know how the bleeding hearts and social justice warriors will be. If one little thing goes on, it’ll ruin this already altered thing. I don’t think this lame version will be as good as what people will think it will be. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I don’t personally think it’s ever been a big deal. If you catch it, you have a one in 12 chance of dying. And about 00.0005% of the world’s population has died from it so far. 

I’d rather get on with life, but you know how the bleeding hearts and social justice warriors will be. If one little thing goes on, it’ll ruin this already altered thing. I don’t think this lame version will be as good as what people will think it will be. 

I don’t think it will be as good as the real thing obviously but I think they owe it to themselves and the fans to finish this thing off after battling for 70 games (whenever it may be).

Maybe after it’s all said and done fans will think differently; but if the players are out there battling and grinding through fatigue and injury for 4 rounds and two months I don’t think you can put an asterisk on it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

That’s bs.    And I bet you close to, or more than half the players have a problem with this..  probably why I’m hearing it’s not going to a membership vote.

Hey boys, back to meat packing.!

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think it will be as good as the real thing obviously but I think they owe it to themselves and the fans to finish this thing off after battling for 70 games (whenever it may be).

Maybe after it’s all said and done fans will think differently; but if the players are out there battling and grinding through fatigue and injury for 4 rounds and two months I don’t think you can put an asterisk on it.

Nobody owes anybody anything except Bettman to Corporate Networks for not having an insurance policy in the contracts for something like this.  Force de jour..    its in many other industries.