The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Nobody owes anybody anything except Bettman to Corporate Networks for not having an insurance policy in the contracts for something like this.  Force de jour..    its in many other industries.

Yes they owe it to themselves which many have them have stated.

I’ll take their opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That’s bs.    And I bet you close to, or more than half the players have a problem with this..  probably why I’m hearing it’s not going to a membership vote.

Hey boys, back to meat packing.!

Small minority most likely have issues which the NHL will need to clear up before they take the next steps.

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I don’t personally think it’s ever been a big deal. If you catch it, you have a one in 12 chance of dying. And about 00.0005% of the world’s population has died from it so far. 

I’d rather get on with life, but you know how the bleeding hearts and social justice warriors will be. If one little thing goes on, it’ll ruin this already altered thing. I don’t think this lame version will be as good as what people will think it will be. 

The risk is actually much much lower than that because most people that actually have COVID-19 aren't tested. 

I am in no way trying to downplay the severity of the pandemic. I'm just trying to say that the risk of mortality is not that high.

I think it will be impossible for players to turn off their competitive juices once things get going. I don't think it will be lame at all. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think it will be as good as the real thing obviously but I think they owe it to themselves and the fans to finish this thing off after battling for 70 games (whenever it may be).

Maybe after it’s all said and done fans will think differently; but if the players are out there battling and grinding through fatigue and injury for 4 rounds and two months I don’t think you can put an asterisk on it.

It will be interesting to see what the protocol is for a team, if or when a team member tests positive..  protocol right now is 14 days at home if exposed to some one.

I beleive there has been NHL players who have already tested positive only a few weeks ago,.  And noe some of the information states that it lingers on without an expiry.

KHL Canceled their season amidst the playoffs in April.

Edited by SilentSam

39 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It will be interesting to see what the protocol is for a team, if or when a team member tests positive..  protocol right now is 14 days at home if exposed to some one.

I beleive there has been NHL players who have already tested positive only a few weeks ago,.  And noe some of the information states that it lingers on without an expiry.

I’m sure they’ll have plans in place if that happens. I doubt it will be as fragile as “if one player tests positive we cancel everything”.

Also by July when they plan to resume I’m hoping that cases have dropped even further.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:21 AM, SilentSam said:

I would guess 0 players contract Covid during the playoffs. Have you not understood the parameters? There would be a quarantine, and testing every three days.

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would guess 0 players contract Covid during the playoffs. Have you not understood the parameters? There would be a quarantine, and testing every three days.

I mean it would still be possible.

They’ll have to be very strict with food preparation and delivery and cleaning of hotel rooms. Keeping families quarantined within a certain area while playoffs go on might be necessary too.

That being said a player testing positive may not necessarily mean they have to shut everything down. I would imagine they would take a pause, retest everyone and then resume when it’s safe. Obviously they want to avoid that at all costs though. 

Edited by DeNiro

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean it would still be possible.

They’ll have to be very strict with food preparation and delivery and cleaning of hotel rooms. Keeping families quarantined within a certain area while playoffs go on might be necessary too.

That being said a player testing positive may not necessarily mean they have to shut everything down. I would imagine they would take a pause, retest everyone and then resume when it’s safe. Obviously they want to avoid that at all costs though. 

The Ottawa senators have a better chance of winning the cup this year than a player contracting covid now with the parameters in place.

It's all fear mongering anyway at this point. My life hasn't changed at all. I still go to work every day, and take my dog for walks  and socialize with friends, the world's gone mad.

Bring back sports!

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2020 at 12:01 AM, DeNiro said:

I’m sure they’ll have plans in place if that happens. I doubt it will be as fragile as “if one player tests positive we cancel everything”.

Also by July when they plan to resume I’m hoping that cases have dropped even further.

depends where they decide to have it.  If it's in the US, doubtful that numbers are declining and if they are, not likely at a rate where they should feel safe.  Canada makes the most sense

So this things goes ahead, we get down to the semi-finals with 4 teams left, a couple guys test positive from one team - then what?  Tell the Lightning they can proceed to play but without Point, Kuch, Hedman and Vasilevskiy........ok then. 

Or the semi finals for eastern conference plays in Vegas, and the west plays in Vancouver.  But one location has an outbreak and the teams stationed there test positive in enough numbers that they're decimated, then what?

I really like to know what the NHL contingency plans are gonna be to not make a mockery out of an already comical situation. 

I know there's a lot of 'what if's', and both the NHL/PA are working on all eventualities, but I just can't wrap my head around all of the considerations.....

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Then those players sit out. Not much different than losing players to injury during a playoff run.

"Hey what's Jeremy Campbell doing in the Canucks locker room?"

BREAKING NEWS: Several Canucks players tested positive for Covid-19. Mandatory self-isolation in effect. They will miss the next round of the NHL playoffs.

• Haha 1