The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

29 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

We are not in. We have the same amount of points but less RW, that is the tie breaker. Win percentage is an unfair tiebreaker. I think the only fair thing to do if they shorten the season is to go back to 68 games, the total of games each team has played and base the playoffs of those point totals. 

Why would winning percentage be an unfair tiebreaker?  It is literally the only way to even up to account for the different number of games played by different teams.

The MOST unfair thing would be to award spots based on if you happened to play more games than another team...  Ignoring games already played to try to even out the numbers is honestly a dumb idea in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sound like if they just cancelled the regular season and the playoffs, Boston gets the cup. Thats fitting for a year shut down by illness. 

There's no way.  The Cup needs to be won, not awarded.

I have a feeling we have seen the last of NHL hockey until next season.  This isn't like bad weather that you can wait out for a while and then things go back to normal.  With how things are escalating, I can't see there being any way to return to play before it would be too late.  It may be months.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno, I think they'd want all the tv revenue they could get. 

Whats going on with the AHL? I guess they would just go in lock step with the NHL.

I imagine the AHL would do the same. No way the bigger leagues shut down and they keep going. 

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why would winning percentage be an unfair tiebreaker?  It is literally the only way to even up to account for the different number of games played by different teams.

The MOST unfair thing would be to award spots based on if you happened to play more games than another team...  Ignoring games already played to try to even out the numbers is honestly a dumb idea in my opinion.

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say they can get back to playing in time for the playoffs.  I think a good solution would be to re-do the remaining schedule so that all teams finish with 72 games played.  It would give the playoff bound teams at least one game to get ready for playoff action and it would give the bubble teams the opportunity to win, or lose their playoff spot.

Just now, goalie13 said:

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say they can get back to playing in time for the playoffs.  I think a good solution would be to re-do the remaining schedule so that all teams finish with 72 games played.  It would give the playoff bound teams at least one game to get ready for playoff action and it would give the bubble teams the opportunity to win, or lose their playoff spot.

That is a good idea... maybe bump it up by a couple games to ensure that every team gets at least 2-3 games to get back into sync before the playoffs.

Just now, Alflives said:

Except the league won’t be able to figure out (in a fair way) who the wild card teams are.  Oh boy what a mess.  Just cancel the season, and start again next October.  

My guess is that will happen eventually, anyways.  They'll suspend for now, but eventually have to just cancel everything as there won't be enough time to get the playoffs completed in time for next season.

In my opinion, the worst thing they could do is change how the playoffs are played, just for the sake of having playoffs.  I would prefer they cancelled it altogether rather than cheapen the process.

• Like 1