The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is a good idea... maybe bump it up by a couple games to ensure that every team gets at least 2-3 games to get back into sync before the playoffs.

Also doable.  I just picked 72 because it was the first even number that's more than the most games any team has played so far.

4 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Still not entirely convinced we'd be in.

That's my concern. Also the cap implications for next season. There's no way this doesn't impact revenue and therefore the cap. Could &^@# over a lot of teams.

In a perfect world they allow a buyout or two to help teams out of cap hell. 

Edited by Coconuts

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've gotten used to early offseasons, but not like this. 

no kidding. If the Canucks are technically out of the playoffs now, that stinks but we've had such a turnaround year and have so many of the right pieces in place. Its going to be one hell of an interesting offseason tho, some massive decisions to make on Marky and re-tooling likely at least 2, maybe 3 defence jobs. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no kidding. If the Canucks are technically out of the playoffs now, that stinks but we've had such a turnaround year and have so many of the right pieces in place. Its going to be one hell of an interesting offseason tho, some massive decisions to make on Marky and re-tooling likely at least 2, maybe 3 defence jobs. 

Things just got much harder if this is it. If we miss we miss the playoffs despite being in the thick of it with games to go which is incredibly tough to swallow. We've also acquired Toffoli for a nonexistent stretch run. 

Our guys also get harder to retain because the cap that was predicted to rise possibly stays the same or even drops thanks to lost revenue. 

7 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Would that mean a May start?

Hospitals are preparing for millions of patients to flood hospitals over the next 2 months.  

There won't be any games in May. That's a pretty much guaranteed.

Some experts on CNN were saying by May all hospitals in USA will be packed full to capacity.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

On % we're tied with NSH, we lose on 2nd tie break being ROW. We'd miss the play-offs if the cancel tomorrow. 

which in all honesty wouldn't be all bad.. 

we'd keep our first round pick in a draft that is apparently pretty deep.. instead of giving it away while limping into the playoffs under strange circumstances.. 

takes Green & Benning off the hot seat.. try again next year

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's my concern. Also the cap implications for next season. There's no way this doesn't impact revenue and therefore the cap. Could &^@# over a lot of teams.

In a perfect world they allow a buyout or two to help teams out of cap hell. 

They'll leave the cap as is and have a very high percentage go into escrow. Instead of approximately 15% this year they may do 30% next season . Maybe more. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

They'll leave the cap as is and have a very high percentage go into escrow. Instead of approximately 15% this year they may do 30% next season . Maybe more. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

In the end it's just a sport though, as much as it sucks shutting things down is the right move for teams and fans. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Things just got much harder if this is it. If we miss we miss the playoffs despite being in the thick of it with games to go which is incredibly tough to swallow. We've also acquired Toffoli for a nonexistent stretch run. 

Our guys also get harder to retain because the cap that was predicted to rise possibly stays the same or even drops thanks to lost revenue. 

sure but we also got to showcase the team to Toffoli, who might be happy to stay. We could swap out Benn and Fanta for Tryamkin and Rafferty. Potentially trade Demko to recover the 2021 1st. 

On the retention side yes that gets harder, but I think we've seen the last of Loui E and we can always buy out Sutter and Baer. Loui to Utica + a Sutter and Bear buyout = 5 mil which is most of the way to retaining Toffoli. I can see us coming back with an improved team next season even with all the challenges.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but we also got to showcase the team to Toffoli, who might be happy to stay. We could swap out Benn and Fanta for Tryamkin and Rafferty. Potentially trade Demko to recover the 2021 1st. 

On the retention side yes that gets harder, but I think we've seen the last of Loui E and we can always buy out Sutter and Baer. Loui to Utica + a Sutter and Bear buyout = 5 mil which is most of the way to retaining Toffoli. I can see us coming back with an improved team next season even with all the challenges.

I hope that's the case, I need something to be excited about if this season dies. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Maybe the league give each team one or two of those super buyouts that don’t cost against the cap?  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Like Madden and a second? :(

nah. If the league goes by point %, which is the fairest way to end the season we're in. If they don't then yeah it was expensive. 

This is how a point percentage bracket looks:

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the league give each team one or two of those super buyouts that don’t cost against the cap?  

now that would be a good idea if the cap can't go up next year. Yup I could actually see a one-time set of compliance buy outs. Man that would be such as good outcome for us.