The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA officially suspends season

cuporbust

1 minute ago, samurai said:

History will look back at this as gov't and organizations panicking  and going overboard and following the management practices of the Chinese Communist .  party. You cannot shutdown life.   I am in tokyo and all my kids school and activities are cancelled, meanwhile elderly people were out in full force in the department stores shopping - packed!  They are killing the economy and life cause a tiny precentage of the population has died from it.  

I tend to agree.... the only real concern I see - and I'm admittedly fairly ignorant - is if it's contagious enough and hits a high enough percentage of the population that people with immune issues start dying, but I honestly don't know if that's likely at all.... at this point I lean towards unmerited panic.  

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

I tend to agree.... the only real concern I see - and I'm admittedly fairly ignorant - is if it's contagious enough and hits a high enough percentage of the population that people with immune issues start dying, but I honestly don't know if that's likely at all.... at this point I lean towards unmerited panic.  

it spreads easily but so does the common flu - they do not know how fast but the overwhelming majority of people recover from it.  The issue is that gov't do not have the health facilities to treat it.    We live in a world of safetyism.  

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The NHL called off the 1919 Stanley Cup finals due to the Spanish Influenza, but that was only the last few games. If they called off the season now, that'd be a lot more significant. I would honestly be devastated, with our team finally in the running for a playoff spot.

What about the other teams that finally did good this season?

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

What about the other teams that finally did good this season?

Yeah, we definitely wouldn't be the only ones losing out. It really would be a lose-lose situation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

How ironic that the reigning defensive player of the year, shut down the entire league. 

It's also ironic how he shut down the league but couldn't defend the corona :(

8 hours ago, samurai said:

History will look back at this as gov't and organizations panicking  and going overboard and following the management practices of the Chinese Communist party. You cannot shutdown life.   I am in Tokyo and all my kids school and activities are cancelled, meanwhile elderly people were out in full force in the department stores shopping - packed!  They are killing the economy and life cause a tiny precentage of the population has died from it.  

A tiny percentage of the population has died from it, really. 

I don't know what the situation is in Japan but in NA, we really have no idea how extensive the infection has spread but we do know that we are not equipped in Canada to deal with any where near the levels of illness that Italy and S. Korea have seen.

The Americans are more focused on keeping the number of reported cases low because they think it is more of a PR problem for the president.

What they have seen in countries with similar heath care systems as Canada is that 20% of cases are get significantly ill and 10% need ICUs.  Some Epidemiologists are predicting if we don't take these kind of precautions 60-70% of the population will get this virus.

Lets assume that this is all reactionary and the numbers are only 10% of that with only 6% of the population getting it and only 1% need ICU and ventilation.  Ontario has 15 million people, which would give about 8700 people needing ventilation.  After SARS went through Ontario an effort was made to make sure we have capacity for overflow on ventilators and with a lot of effort there are an extra 200 ventilators above usual required capacity for operations and those ill for other reasons.  

This doesn't even consider that the government has always used the foolish idea that we need to plan for the median when it comes to beds and spaces.  We don't even have the capacity to put the extra 8700 people in beds much less on ventilators.

Every day we pause and don't take these actions it gets harder to mitigate and these numbers look worse than this.  

Canada is lucky in that we have a lot of land and space, it should with a lot more leadership be easier to control here than other countries but this requires leadership and less of this minimizing of the seriousness of this disease.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The NHL called off the 1919 Stanley Cup finals due to the Spanish Influenza, but that was only the last few games. If they called off the season now, that'd be a lot more significant. I would honestly be devastated, with our team finally in the running for a playoff spot.

The lockout by owners canceled the season in 2004-2005. No big deal. 

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Might be quite good for the Canucks, get Markstrom and Tanev back for the home stretch. Lots of other teams are injured at the moment too so I'm sure a lot of teams wouldn't mind a delay.

Most experts see this unlike a storm that comes and goes. It is more like a winter, will take months to get better. We are just starting. 

The problem in, because of the inept leadership in the US, there's only actually been about 11,000 Corona tests done in the US, and its identified more than 1300 cases.

Figure that there is really over 50,000 cases down there and climbing quickly.

This situation is far more serious than most people think it is. If the estimate is correct, this will be months of dealing with this bug.