The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Team Awards 2019-2020

Rate this topic

yes we can nucks

So if the season ends today, who are your choices for the Nux awards?  Here are mine (last year's winners in brackets)

1.  MVP -  Markstrom (Markstrom)

2. Unsung hero - Gaudette (Roussel)

3. Most exciting player - JT Miller (Pettersson)

4.  Best defenseman - Edler (Edler)

Edited by yes we can nucks

7 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

So if the season ends today, who are your choices for the Nux awards?  Here are mine (last year's winners in brackets)

1.  MVP -  Markstrom (Markstrom)

2. Unsung hero - Gaudette (Roussel)

3. Most exciting player - JT Miller (Pettersson)

4.  Best defenseman - Edler (Edler)

How you don't have Hughes as your best Dman I don't know but otherwise I would agree with you.

1. Markstrom

2. Gaudette( could be Virtanen)

3. JT Miller

4. Hughes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Because he is not our best defenseman

If Defense was the only thing contributing to the "Best Defenseman" players like PK Subban, Brent Burns and Eric Karlsonn would never of won the Norris trophy as the leagues best Defenseman. The "Best Defenseman" is the best overall player playing that position. It takes into account defense, offense, hockey IQ, physicality, leadership, skating and every other intangible a hockey player need. It's not all about defense. The Canuck'ss best player overall playing as a defender is Quinn Hughes. He may not be the best defensively but what he lack in defensive skills he more than makes up in other areas.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

This was my thinking... I'm putting the emphasis on DEFENSE.  Edler has had a solid season on D.  He has a +13 plus/minus vs -10 for Hughes.  He has contributed 33 pts in 59 games and was missed when he was injured.  Of course Hughes has had a huge impact on the team.  But he's not the best Dman.... yet.

13 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Was Stecher our best defenseman in 2017 Varys lol?

Troy Stecher was voted by fans as winner of the Walter (Babe) Pratt "Best Defenceman" award in his first NHL season. In 69(nice) games played, Stecher leads Canucks defencemen in points (24) and ranks fourth on the team in assists (21). Stecher also ranks eighth in rookie TOI/game with 20:02, 19th in rookie shots with 122, t-15th in rookie blocked shots with 64, and fifth in rookie defencemen assists.

My picks

1.  MVP - Jacob Markstrom

2. Unsung hero - Tyler Motte

3. Most exciting player - JT Miller

4.  Best defenseman - Quinn Hughes

It's weird not to include Elias Pettersson in any of these picks but here are my reasons for each pick.

1 - Markstrom has had an unbelievable year on the ice. He's really shown that he's an essential part of this club and him going down with injury really highlighted it. That plus him losing his father this season and still playing at a Vezina like level really shows just how great he is. I feel like Elias will be getting this more consistently in the years to come but for this year -- this is Marky's. Pettersson was my runner up in this category.

2 - Tyler Motte. He's the glue on that 4th line. That and the fact that he opened up about his struggles with depression really shows how much of an Unsung hero he is. If he wasn't injured/this season being suspended, he was on the path to having new career highs in points, goals, and assists. Gaudette was my runner up.

3 - JT Miller. What a revelation. He's easily in contention for both MVP and Unsung Hero based on the low expectations and the fears we gave up to much for him. But with 72 points in 66 games, he just shattered everything and really thrived in his role alongside Pettersson. He's gonna be a great Canuck for the next several years. Quinn Hughes was my runner up in this category.

4 - Quinn Hughes. No explanation needed. A franchise altering defenseman. There was no real competition in my mind. Edler is the runner up but barely.

1. MVP - Markstrom, JT Miller a close second in my books

Miller has carried this team offensively and the 1st PP unit. Pettersson really has coasted the last 10-20 games and Miller has been a workhorse on so many levels. Without him, this team's offence would be invisible. That being said, we can see the difference with and without Markstrom. From a questionable backup in his early days to semi-starter to arguably a top-10 goalie in the NHL, Markstrom won this team many points single-handedly.

2. Unsung Hero - Gaudette, Motte runner up

Motte's been a force every time he's on the ice, throwing his body and winning big puck battles, but Gaudette has been so noticeable, despite his lack of real PP or PK time and playing only around 10 minutes a game. The kid has scored some big goals and GWG this season despite playing with plugs. On pace for 40-50 points as a rookie on 4th line minutes is remarkable.

3. Most Exciting Player - Miller, Hughes a close second.

As flashy as Pettersson, Boeser and Toffoli are, Miller gets people going, he makes smart plays but also throws his body and gets the crowd excited. He runs this Canucks offence basically by himself with a bit of help from Pettersson lately too, but no doubt about it, he gets a buzz going every time he's got the puck in the offensive zone. I'd be tempted to give the award to Hughes because Miller isn't really that flashy, whereas Hughes is mesmerizing with the puck.

4. Best defenceman - Edler, Hughes second

Controversial I know, but everyone who is lauding it over Hughes is being rediculously blinded. Yes, Hughes has racked up points and looks brilliant walking the blueline, making shots and in the occasional board battle and getting the puck up the ice. But Edler is arguably this team's most important player, certainly 3rd most IMO (behind Miller and Marky). He does everything, he scores points, he plays on the PP and PK and he's our top guy when it comes to matching up against top opponents. He has made hardly any mistakes this season (finally) and plays the body too. Edler is to the defence what Miller is to the offence, and Hughes is to our D what Petey is to the offence.

For those who think Hughes brings more to the team than Edler, think about where this team would be without one or the other. Without Hughes no doubt, our PP suffers but we can replace a bit of offence loss easily. Without Edler, our defence gets shattered by opposing team's top lines, our PK struggles and we lose a leader.

No doubt Hughes will be great one day, but Edler is still and may always be the best Canuck defenceman, and does it modestly and quietly without even some of the fans clearly appreciating.

Edited by DownUndaCanuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

If Defense was the only thing contributing to the "Best Defenseman" players like PK Subban, Brent Burns and Eric Karlsonn would never of won the Norris trophy as the leagues best Defenseman. The "Best Defenseman" is the best overall player playing that position. It takes into account defense, offense, hockey IQ, physicality, leadership, skating and every other intangible a hockey player need. It's not all about defense. The Canuck'ss best player overall playing as a defender is Quinn Hughes. He may not be the best defensively but what he lack in defensive skills he more than makes up in other areas.

I believe Edler IS the best overall player in that position.  He has most of the qualities that you describe.  And of course you have to emphasis DEFENSE.  He has a way better plus minus than Hughes (+13 vs -10).  He has 108 hits vs 8 for Hughes, and 162 blocks vs 46 for Hughes.  He's definitely better than Hughes at DEFENDING.

Not taking anything away from Hughes.  He's phenomenal.  After this season he'll be a well rounded DEFENSEMAN.

MVP: Marky, kept us in games we won but should have lost all season, set a franchise best 49 save shutout to boot.

Unsung hero: Leivo. This was a toss up for me, as Motte has shown he plays with intensity everytime he steps on the ice, however I'm giving the edge to Leivo. Before he went down with injury, he was showing he can play up and down the lineup, and excel wherever Green stuck him, and was on pace for career highs in points, with only 4 pims in 39 games. We've been singing Motte's praise when he's been healthy, so I feel Leivo fills the 'unsung' part a bit more.

Most exciting player: Hughes. Another tough one, as Miller has an exciting game as well, but Hughes is just next level at such a young age. Almost always does something highlight reel, be it in the defensive zone, on the rush, or offensively. Leads all rookies in points and tied for 4th among all d-men in points.

Best defenseman: Edler. Looking at strictly defensive play.

If there was a most improved player award, I would give it to Virtanen. He's been great this season after a shaky start to his career/this season's training camp, and I'm sure will continue to improve.

12 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

The amount of disrespect quinn hughes is receiving in this thread is borderline asinine. 

No disrespect at all.  It's more a case of respect for Edler.

PS.  This is all a matter of opinion.  No need to disrespect those you don't agree with.