The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Team Awards 2019-2020

Rate this topic

yes we can nucks

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

The amount of disrespect quinn hughes is receiving in this thread is borderline asinine. 

And no disrespect from me either - if you noticed, I think he is our most exciting player.  I am on the edge of my seat every time he begins a foray up the ice, cos we never know what he will pull off.

But as a defenseman, does anyone else ice the puck so much? Sure, it is up to the forward to get a stick on those slapshot passes, but that's asking a lot of our team.  He is undersized and still a kid, really, so can't be expected to dispossess every attacking forward of the puck, and doesn't.   He is a minus player for a reason.  Will he get stronger? Of course.  Will he grow into a man's body, ofc.   Will he soon be our best defenseman? Undoubtedly. 

But because some of us here don't think he is there yet isn't being disrespectful, it's just being realistic

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1. MVP - Markstrom, JT Miller a close second in my books

Miller has carried this team offensively and the 1st PP unit. Pettersson really has coasted the last 10-20 games and Miller has been a workhorse on so many levels. Without him, this team's offence would be invisible. That being said, we can see the difference with and without Markstrom. From a questionable backup in his early days to semi-starter to arguably a top-10 goalie in the NHL, Markstrom won this team many points single-handedly.

2. Unsung Hero - Gaudette, Motte runner up

Motte's been a force every time he's on the ice, throwing his body and winning big puck battles, but Gaudette has been so noticeable, despite his lack of real PP or PK time and playing only around 10 minutes a game. The kid has scored some big goals and GWG this season despite playing with plugs. On pace for 40-50 points as a rookie on 4th line minutes is remarkable.

3. Most Exciting Player - Miller, Hughes a close second.

As flashy as Pettersson, Boeser and Toffoli are, Miller gets people going, he makes smart plays but also throws his body and gets the crowd excited. He runs this Canucks offence basically by himself with a bit of help from Pettersson lately too, but no doubt about it, he gets a buzz going every time he's got the puck in the offensive zone. I'd be tempted to give the award to Hughes because Miller isn't really that flashy, whereas Hughes is mesmerizing with the puck.

4. Best defenceman - Edler, Hughes second

Controversial I know, but everyone who is lauding it over Hughes is being rediculously blinded. Yes, Hughes has racked up points and looks brilliant walking the blueline, making shots and in the occasional board battle and getting the puck up the ice. But Edler is arguably this team's most important player, certainly 3rd most IMO (behind Miller and Marky). He does everything, he scores points, he plays on the PP and PK and he's our top guy when it comes to matching up against top opponents. He has made hardly any mistakes this season (finally) and plays the body too. Edler is to the defence what Miller is to the offence, and Hughes is to our D what Petey is to the offence.

For those who think Hughes brings more to the team than Edler, think about where this team would be without one or the other. Without Hughes no doubt, our PP suffers but we can replace a bit of offence loss easily. Without Edler, our defence gets shattered by opposing team's top lines, our PK struggles and we lose a leader.

No doubt Hughes will be great one day, but Edler is still and may always be the best Canuck defenceman, and does it modestly and quietly without even some of the fans clearly appreciating.

I am thinking about that scenario, and I can't even begin to imagine that losing Hughes would hurt less than losing Edler. Having a guy like Hughes for the next 10 seasons definitely gives you a better chance to win it all, compared to hypothetically having this year's Edler for the next 10 years. To each their own I guess.

47 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Anyone who puts anyone except Hughes as our best dman should be quarantined from CDC

I have Hughes as the best dman, but everyone is allow to have their own opinion. We can always respect others who see different than us.

25 minutes ago, Grape said:

I am thinking about that scenario, and I can't even begin to imagine that losing Hughes would hurt less than losing Edler. Having a guy like Hughes for the next 10 seasons definitely gives you a better chance to win it all, compared to hypothetically having this year's Edler for the next 10 years. To each their own I guess.

Well, these awards are about this year, not about that next ten years.  That said, I'd also give it to Hughes, but Edler is a closer 2nd than some are giving him credit for.  It also helps that Hughes was healthier and only missed a game or two.

The guy was on pace to very possibly set the all time Canucks record for points in a season from the blueline.  Honestly, that should probably win the award even if he's minus 50.

Ted Lindsay/Pearson : QH

Hart : Markstrom (Miller close)

Art Ross : Miller

Norris QH

Messier Leadership : Miller (ha ha)

OK let's do it like the THN. 

Probert Award (best fighter) : McEwen

Langway Award (best defensive defenseman) : Tanev

Orr Award ( best defenseman) : Q Hughes

Gretzky Award (MVP) : Markstrom 

Roy Award (best goalie) : Markstrom 

Lemuiex Award (most talented player) Q Hughes 

Ferguson Award (toughest player) : Tanev

Beliveau Award (best leader) : Miller

Bob Gainey Award (best defensive forward) : Horvat 

1.  Cyclone Taylor Award (MVP) -  Markstrom - Runner up (Miller) - My runner up here was Miller, but with our collapse after Markstrom was injured, it's become insanely clear how important he is to our team.

2. Fred J. Hume Award (Unsung hero) - Tanev -  Runner up (Motte) - Motte is also a great choice, but I really feel Tanev knocked it out of the park this year and still doesn't always get the recognition he deserves.

3. Pavel Bure Award (Most exciting player) -  Hughes - Runner Up (Miller) - Hughes is what we've never had in Vancouver, a dynamic puck-moving defenseman. He's instantly become one of the best defensemen in the league. 

4.  Babe Pratt Award (Best defenseman) - Hughes - Runner Up (Edler) - Edler's had another very strong season, but not as strong as last year's and with the addition of Hughes, I can't give this award to Edler. Hughes is unbelievable offensively and even pretty solid defensively. I'd give Edler the edge defensively, but Hughes beats him in offense by a country mile. Defense is about more than just defending your net, as proven by many of the Norris winners.

• Cheers 1

MVP: Miller

(Runner up: Markstrom)

Miller did it all for us. Played on the PP, played on the PK. Tied for the lead in goals and assists, and had the most points. On top of scoring a point per game, he led our team in takeaways and hits. He also provided valuable leadership. The trade Benning made to get him was genius. He is well worth a 1st round pick. 

Best defenseman: Quinn Hughes
(Runner up: Edler)

It is unbelievable that this guy was a rookie. He is so calm with the puck, and makes his elite skating look effortless. The power play ran through him, and he set up so many plays without being credited an assist. We've never had a defenseman like Hughes.

Most exciting player: Quinn Hughes
(Runner up: Pettersson)

It's an exciting time to be a Canucks fan. We've had 3 straight Calder winners or runner ups in Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes. Surprising as it may be, Hughes may be the best of the bunch. His skating is electrifying.

Unsung Hero: Tanev
(Runner ups: Pearson, Gaudette, Motte)

This was a hard one. I thought of putting a name others haven't brought up in Pearson. Thought about putting Gaudette--a young player who doubled his points from last year despite low ice time and playing with 3rd/4th liners. Thought about Motte, who made our 4th line go, and had 3.5 hits a game. But I decided to go with Tanev. He sheltered Hughes defensively, and was actually reliable in terms of durability. Was second in blocked shots to Edler.

Most improved player: Gaudette

(Runner up: Virtanen)

As mentioned before, Gaudette doubled his output from last season playing with plugs. He never quits, and has fueled some of our biggest comebacks. That is impressive for such a young player.

Also gotta give props to Shotgun Jake. He was on pace for 20 goals, and made strides as a passer. Virtanen was always a north-south player, but he improved east-west as a cycler. His stick handling has gotten exponentially better. However, his hits and takeaways actually dropped off from last season.

Edited by NaveJoseph