The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Mathias Bromé interested in signing with Canucks

Google translation:

Mathias Bromé broke through well in Hockeyallsvenskan when he delivered 49 points in 51 games and was a big reason behind Mora's advancement to SHL 2017.

After three seasons at the club he left Dalarna as national team and this winter the outside forward made great success in Orebro.

The 25-year-old from Huddinge has produced 43 points (17 + 26) in 51 games ahead of tonight's closing series.

Bromé received the award as the fans MVP in Örebro earlier this week, but the success this winter will also lead to new challenges in his career.

Several of the clubs in Russia are attracted by tenders, and according to information to HockeyNews.se, Avangard Omsk is one of the teams that offered him a concrete contract proposal, but Bromé may be on the verge of rejecting the KHL millions in Russia.

Instead, there is a tug of war between him among several NHL clubs.

Washington, Vancouver and Detroit three of the teams who are all in search of the Swede for the next season and according to information he is now choosing between Vancouver or Detroit.

- He will not make a decision until the season is over he has so much interest in him. He has to decide what to do when the season is over, says Jacob Hedin of the AMA Sports Agency.

Vancouver is in the middle of the playoff race right now with five Swedes on the team - Jacob Markström, Elias Pettersson, Loui Eriksson, Alexander Edler and Oscar Fantenberg.

Detroit is in 31st place. Last in the league with over 20 points up to Ottawa above in the table with five Swedes in the team lineup - Jonathan Ericsson, Gustav Lindström, Patrik Nemeth, Christoffer Ehn and Dmytro Timashov.

https://hockeynews.se/articles/13560/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, coastal.view said:

position?

i'm assuming he is not a goalie

but maybe he is revolutionizing that position if he is ?

:P

Brief overview:

Mathias Brome
Left Wing
Born Jul 29 1994  
Height 5.11 -- Weight 181 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013-14  Vasteras IK                 Swe-1  37    3    6    9    0
2014-15  Vasteras IK                 Swe-1  51    4    5    9   10
2015-16  Asploven HC                 Swe-1  51   10   17   27   20
2016-17  Mora IK                     Swe-1  51   18   31   49   14
2017-18  Mora IK                     SweHL  52    9   12   21   18  --  --  --  --  --
2018-19  Mora IK                     SweHL  52   15   20   35   18  --  --  --  --  --
2019-20  Orebro HK                   SweHL  51   17   26   43   20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The fact that he's deciding between Vancouver and Detroit is hilarious. 

It's nice to have a free agent choose Vancouver as a preferred destination. Usually doesn't happen unless they grew up here.

We can thank our Swedish legends Gradin, Naslund, Ohlund and the Sedins for this. 

• Cheers 2

I wouldn't be against this but he would be in touch to find a spot on this roster, at least not before one or more of Eriksson, Roussel, Sutter and Motte remain with the Canucks.  Of those, Motte is the only FA this summer.  On top of that, the Canucks would be willing to continue stashing Baertschi with the Comets.

If Brome is OK with starting with the Comets, then I think there's a higher probability of this working out but I can see him preferring to go to Detroit where he will have a much higher chance of starting in the NHL.  Still, if he starts in the NHL and transitions poorly on a not very good Detroit team, then that might hurt his stock.  If I was the Canucks and really wanted to sign Brome, then I would approach the negotiation with emphasizing resources to facilitate the transition of his game to North American ice and rules.

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Sign him so he can come to NA, quarantine himself for 2 weeks, and get ready for the rest of the season whenever that'll be.

He won't be eligible to play for the Canucks in the playoffs because he is signed after the TDL. If anything, he is looking at next season.

Scouting report is he is a fast, well rounded player who can play around the lineup... 

If he wants to get a chance on a better team, he choose us and starts in the AHL probably alongside Hoglander next year.

If he choose Detroit, he is probably on their top line next year... but it would be terrible to play there :)

• Cheers 1

I imagine he'll go to Detroit, that would be the smart move. Van is attractive for all sorts of reason, but he'd very likely get a roster spot in Detroit and they could use an offensive piece so he'd likely get minutes. Someone's gotta help them score, so if he managed that he'd likely get an extension with reasonable term.

Edited by Coconuts