The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoffs or no??

Rate this topic

Dogcrazy

Really this comes down to if the US and Canada are willing to go to the ends China has with their cases.  Quarantine, isolation, jailing those that don't obey etc.  They managed to get a handle in it within their borders and they are the most densely populated in the world (well pretty much).  Their timeline was two months however you have to consider it took a few weeks to get a handle on how to treat and slow the spread. 

Isolation, social distancing and all the rest still won't guarantee this virus won't keep coming back as you just know not some infected people will fall through the cracks.  I'd say their is a possibility playoffs happen but the odds aren't good.  Even if business goes back as usual - will fans flock to the game with the virus still kicking around?  Guess we will find out all these things eventually...

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Really this comes down to if the US and Canada are willing to go to the ends China has with their cases.  Quarantine, isolation, jailing those that don't obey etc.  They managed to get a handle in it within their borders and they are the most densely populated in the world (well pretty much).  Their timeline was two months however you have to consider it took a few weeks to get a handle on how to treat and slow the spread. 

Isolation, social distancing and all the rest still won't guarantee this virus won't keep coming back as you just know not some infected people will fall through the cracks.  I'd say their is a possibility playoffs happen but the odds aren't good.  Even if business goes back as usual - will fans flock to the game with the virus still kicking around?  Guess we will find out all these things eventually...

Spanish Flu had three rounds with the people.  These viruses can mutate, and come back worse.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

point % is such a dumb way to determine who's in whos out.. 

example if team A played 60 games they have a 25-15-20 record.. with a .583 points percentage.. that's superior to a team 37-22-1 record? .577%... like like i guess all those lost in the OT/shootout is worth more than winning 12 more games

The example you give is how the current points system works - a team can amass OT losses to get points. Points % has nothing to do with that. It is just to deal with teams not playing the same amount of games.

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

example if team A played 60 games they have a 25-15-20 record.. with a .583 points percentage.. that's superior to a team 37-22-1 record? .577%... like like i guess all those lost in the OT/shootout is worth more than winning 12 more games

hu? :huh:

team A has earned 70 points out of possible 120 (.583%), team B has earned 75 points out of possible 120... not sure how you got .577%

Edited by 'NucK™
  • Cheers 1

On 3/12/2020 at 11:51 PM, wai_lai416 said:

it is the fairest way when you have teams that have not played the same number of games in the end.

every game that has been played 'matters' - is calculated into the standings.

It's better than rolling back to the fewest number of games a team has played - ie some have played 68, some 71 - and excluding the results after 68 games - meaning some teams will have played 3 meaningless games.

Point % is the fairest measure - and the most complete measure possible.

And it would mean the Canucks finish 3rd in the division and get to face the Coil in round 1.

The NHL should stick as closely to the existing format as possible.

These were the rules that pre-dated this stoppage.

If they proceed - it should be with the usual 8 teams per conference, and based on points % = not some hair-brained, creative gong-show - ie March madness style sidetracks, etc.

Team sport like this is based on abstract 'identity' - it's unwise to mess with it any more than is absolutely necessary - particularly when you're talking about long-standing, established leagues with 'traditions' / norms / and a 'fanbase' that is attached to those.  Lidewise, teams had proceeded entirely on the basis/assumption of the existing rules.

Pts %

16 teams.

As close to the usual format as possible.

If they can't continue - or play the playoffs...

Award the Bruins with the President's Trophy - consider it this year's "Cup" and move on - forward looking.

Base the draft on the final pts% standings of the regular season.  Exclude the 'playoff' teams from the lottery.  Send this year's 1st to NJ via Tampa.  Etc.  Business as otherwise would be usual.  If they don't do that it will result in countless protests, debate, and anger around the alteration of the norm - the perception that the goalposts can and/or have changed.

Extract as much 'meaning' out of the season - and every game played - as possible - and no more - and avoid a free-for-all of 'alternatives' imo. 

Edited by oldnews

On 3/13/2020 at 3:46 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Your criticism also applies equally to doing it by total points.

i prefer just do it by win % instead of point %. i mean for arguement sake i don't think a team that goes 0-0-80 is more deserving of making the playoff than a team 37-39-4.. 

On 3/14/2020 at 12:58 PM, oldnews said:

it is the fairest way when you have teams that have not played the same number of games in the end.

every game that has been played 'matters' - is calculated into the standings.

It's better than rolling back to the fewest number of games a team has played - ie some have played 68, some 71 - and excluding the results after 68 games - meaning some teams will have played 3 meaningless games.

Point % is the fairest measure - and the most complete measure possible.

And it would mean the Canucks finish 3rd in the division and get to face the Coil in round 1.

The NHL should stick as closely to the existing format as possible.

These were the rules that pre-dated this stoppage.

If they proceed - it should be with the usual 8 teams per conference, and based on points % = not some hair-brained, creative gong-show - ie March madness style sidetracks, etc.

Team sport like this is based on abstract 'identity' - it's unwise to mess with it any more than is absolutely necessary - particularly when you're talking about long-standing, established leagues with 'traditions' / norms / and a 'fanbase' that is attached to those.  Lidewise, teams had proceeded entirely on the basis/assumption of the existing rules.

Pts %

16 teams.

As close to the usual format as possible.

If they can't continue - or play the playoffs...

Award the Bruins with the President's Trophy - consider it this year's "Cup" and move on - forward looking.

Base the draft on the final pts% standings of the regular season.  Exclude the 'playoff' teams from the lottery.  Send this year's 1st to NJ via Tampa.  Etc.  Business as otherwise would be usual.  If they don't do that it will result in countless protests, debate, and anger around the alteration of the norm - the perception that the goalposts can and/or have changed.

Extract as much 'meaning' out of the season - and every game played - as possible - and no more - and avoid a free-for-all of 'alternatives' imo. 

honestly it doesn't matter what we think.. the most likely scenario is the season is toasted unless the stoppage only last till mid april early may.. but based on what cdc is recommending 8 weeks or more.. it's likely going to be cancelled.. there's no way in hell they are playing playoff in late july august.. when the ice condition is so sloppy in most arena it's almost unplayable... also if the playoff goes to august.. then when's the draft going to be? september when most junior hockey teams already started their training camp. 

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i prefer just do it by win % instead of point %. i mean for arguement sake i don't think a team that goes 0-0-80 is more deserving of making the playoff than a team 37-39-4.. 

Hey, I was against three point games since the day they were introduced.

• Cheers 1

On 3/12/2020 at 7:41 PM, Dats hockey said:

If this is right we would be in. This is from NHL.com btw

FADB7BE0-5BF2-4E31-9450-C7FACA2983F6.jpeg

This is the correct answer.

The Canucks would be in and have technically made the playoffs if the season is to be resumed in an abbreviated format.

it likely won’t through.

my guess is that this season will be cancelled, and that we will have a half season next season that will commence in January or February.

3 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

This is the correct answer.

The Canucks would be in and have technically made the playoffs if the season is to be resumed in an abbreviated format.

it likely won’t through.

my guess is that this season will be cancelled, and that we will have a half season next season that will commence in January or February.

No, we would not be in.

We are tied with Nashville for the last WC spot. All teams with more points are above us, your chart is only for teams tied with points.

Since we are tied in games the first tie breaker is moot so it takes us to the second one: Most wins excluding OT and shootout. We have 27 wins, Nashville has 28 so by these tie breaking rules we are out, hopefully they’ll go with a fairer way to reflect games played if the season does resume.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

22 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

No, we would not be in.

We are tied with Nashville for the last WC spot. All teams with more points are above us, your chart is only for teams tied with points.

Since we are tied in games the first tie breaker is moot so it takes us to the second one: Most wins excluding OT and shootout. We have 27 wins, Nashville has 28 so by these tie breaking rules we are out, hopefully they’ll go with a fairer way to reflect games played if the season does resume.

True BUT...

That tie break procedure is designed purely to decide the standings during the season, if you're one point behind a team at the halfway point and they've played 3 more games who cares about the order? It would look really weird to put a team above one with more points, but everyone's aware there are 6 extra potential points available to the team behind. If the season is halted with an unequal number of games played, the situation is fundamentally different.

At this point it's looking increasingly irrelevant but if they can't get all teams to an equal number of games then point % is the best way to go. Knowing our luck, if it's to decide draft order they'll use % and if it's to decide who makes a truncated playoffs it'll be absolute points.

Incidentally I've always thought the fact that draws are effectively worth 3 points is unfair but that's completely irrelevant to this situation.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

No, we would not be in.

Point percentage takes precedence over everything.   Canucks would make it in.

35 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Point percentage takes precedence over everything.   Canucks would make it in.

If they were to go that way then yes and it makes sense that they should but when exactly has something that made sense and benefited us actually happen?

I suppose another way to go that I haven't heard suggested would be to just take the team that has played the least number of games, and truncate everyone else's record to where they were after that number of games and decide the playoff positioning based on that.

It's not perfect, but no solution is going to be.

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I suppose another way to go that I haven't heard suggested would be to just take the team that has played the least number of games, and truncate everyone else's record to where they were after that number of games and decide the playoff positioning based on that.

It's not perfect, but no solution is going to be.

I've seen it suggested a couple of times, think it gets the Nucks in so I wouldn't be to upset if they went that way but if a team had just won 3 in a row and had all of them wiped out they'd be justifiably upset. Points % is pretty simple and reasonably fair, but it's looking more and more like it's done for the season. Hope I'm wrong, but in the meantime I'm quite enjoying the early nights (most games start about 3am my time).

Edited by Biff Tannen

What I don't understand is how this confusion will affect where Vancouver drafts. Wouldn't that be a bigger concern for us than playoffs?

The teams that didn't make the playoffs pick 1-15, right? We pick in the first round and are eligible for the lottery if we miss the playoffs, don't we?

Or am I missing something?