The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What will happen to the Nhl season and Playoffs(poll)

Rate this topic

naslund.is.king

What will happen to the current season and playoffs(Poll)  

136 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the current season and playoffs(Poll)

• Season and Playoffs outright cancelled
    • Modified Season/ Playoffs(Season ends as of current Standings and etc)
    • Whenever this ends the season and playoffs pickup like usual
  2. 2. .

• a
    • b

This poll is closed to new votes

The big problem is the quality of ice in Summer and I don't think we can presume the regular season like the NBA will, as well as playoffs.

This will probably go on for a couple of months, may get the all-clear in May to resume hockey which doesn't leave long. 

Hockey will be pretty unbearable for the ice in July and August.

I think abbreviated season, end the regular season the way it is and playoffs based on win %.

Worst comes to worst, they may need a best of 3 or best of 5 playoff series, with maybe the SCF a 7 game series to squeeze it in time.

Don't want to be watching playoff hockey down the stretch on mushy ice.

Hard to say, but I think a full cancellation is a very high probability.

Unless things change here very quickly, they won't be back playing in a month. The playoffs have to be wrapped up by July 1st, as there are players whose contacts run out on June 30th.

Even when the pandemic subsides this is going to have long lasting effects on the industry.  Firstly, with the economic uncertainty fans may not have the extra cash for playoff tickets anymore and, secondly, the stigma of large crowds being a threat won't go away anytime soon.  

Unfortunately I don't see the playoffs happening this year.  It's a business after all and the tax writeoffs will outweigh the prospect of playing in half empty arenas.

3 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Even when the pandemic subsides this is going to have long lasting effects on the industry.  Firstly, with the economic uncertainty fans may not have the extra cash for playoff tickets anymore and, secondly, the stigma of large crowds being a threat won't go away anytime soon.  

Unfortunately I don't see the playoffs happening this year.  It's a business after all and the tax writeoffs will outweigh the prospect of playing in half empty arenas.

Very similar to how society felt immediately after 9/11. There will no doubt be some markets that feel long lasting and even permanent effects, but I also remember the resiliency of sports fans. There will definitely be a period of fear for a while, but as a people, we're going to be craving something to celebrate after all this. Imagine being the next team to win the Cup, Super Bowl, World Series or NBA championship after this. The asterisk next to that victory will be one that marks the time we came out stronger as a society.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 12:26 PM, Baratheon said:

What do you think now guys? :unsure:

Would any of you change your votes?

Nope, I predicted the season is done and still hold to that, I’m actually a bit concerned about next season.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 4/3/2020 at 12:26 PM, Baratheon said:

What do you think now guys? :unsure:

Would any of you change your votes?

i don't see how they can play hockey during the summer when most city is scorching hot.. most cities will be avging 30 degrees with some 35-40 degrees... not sure how u can even have a suitable playing surface without risking players injuring themself because of sloppy ice condition. maybe they should all switch to roller hockey lol

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i don't see how they can play hockey during the summer when most city is scorching hot.. most cities will be avging 30 degrees with some 35-40 degrees... not sure how u can even have a suitable playing surface without risking players injuring themself because of sloppy ice condition. maybe they should all switch to roller hockey lol

I think that technology is such that they CAN make okay ice surfaces, particularly if they aren't allowing fans in to the arena at first.  I mean they played the 2004 finals in Florida in June lol.

It would just screw up next year too much to be worth playing in the summer I think.

Maybe they can give us another one of those NHL World Cup things as a consolation. 

There is no way to finish the season in any fair manner.

Players would want a few reg games and some teams are 3 games back.

Point percentage would penalize teams with tougher schedules and due to fewer games for some the others did have tougher more condensed schedules

It doesn't really matter what the league wants though in the long run it will be governments that decide.

Maybe, if all the teams and officials went into isolation for two weeks prior, and that is a lot of people and if al games were played with assigned seating with sections cordoned off, PPE provided, they could seat some fans. Again very expensive or just play in an empty arena, do they still need an announcer? You know the mikes will be off for sure though.

The issues with expiring contracts and FA are huge and what about players signed legally from the KHL? And those that don't count against the cap now? Then there is the draft and draft positions, does Vancouver automatically lose it's first? One method they make it and the other they don't if there a re no playoffs then Vancouver keeps it's pick.

I am not even sure the season will start on time at this point, maybe if one of these approved drugs side effects acts on the virus, but as things go now, done

3 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

There is no way to finish the season in any fair manner.

Players would want a few reg games and some teams are 3 games back.

Point percentage would penalize teams with tougher schedules and due to fewer games for some the others did have tougher more condensed schedules

I think the division-heavy schedules already make the difficulty uneven. The extra 3 games is unlikely to change that much. Even after 82 games, I don't think teams have played schedules of equal difficulty.

Points percentage is a fair enough way to do it given how much of the season was completed. It's how the AHL does it every season because of differences in the number of games in different divisions

On 3/13/2020 at 9:06 AM, Kelly Green said:

Modified season/playoffs is what I chose , a Stanley cup parade in July means less chance of a rainy day anyway. B)

On 3/13/2020 at 9:01 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

They should just give us the Cup, you know a sympathy Cup, at this point I’d take it.

I think we should just scrap the rest of this season and go straight to the Stanley cup parade in Vancouver in July.

2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

I think we should just scrap the rest of this season and go straight to the Stanley cup parade in Vancouver in July.

lottery for Cup

It worked good for Pittsburg during the Crosby draft

Oh scrap that, just give Pittsburg the Cup

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I think the division-heavy schedules already make the difficulty uneven. The extra 3 games is unlikely to change that much. Even after 82 games, I don't think teams have played schedules of equal difficulty.

Points percentage is a fair enough way to do it given how much of the season was completed. It's how the AHL does it every season because of differences in the number of games in different divisions

Yes but teams build their groups with that in mind, contracts and trades.

You might be able to go to total head to head points vs all playoff contenders that way games not counted would be less random in their impact.

But that sinks the Canucks too even if they only use divisional points.