The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the season ended today, does Hughes win the Calder?

Rate this topic

smokes

Hughes and the Calder  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a bit disappointed becaiuse I was fully expecting Hughes to break Petterson's rookie scoring for the Canucks and win the calder. Unfortunately with the season on hiatus I'm not sure that can happen with the scoring. The Calder though? Can he still get that?

I don't think so, as of right now I think Makar still wins it. I'd love to be wrong though. Makar has 50 points in 57 games while Hughes has 53 in 68. 

The AVs were expected to make noise this season, we weren't. Could be argued Hughes was a massive piece of our exceeding expectations while Makar stepped into a top flight team. 

Could be argued that Hughes playing important minutes during more games is a positive in his favour but it could also be flipped around to say Makar did almost as much pointwise in 11 fewer games. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think so, as of right now I think Makar still wins it. I'd love to be wrong though. Makar has 50 points in 57 games while Hughes has 53 in 68. 

The AVs were expected to make noise this season, we weren't. Could be argued Hughes was a massive piece of our exceeding expectations while Makar stepped into a top flight team. 

Could be argued that Hughes playing important minutes during more games is a positive in his favour but it could also be flipped around to say Makar did almost as much pointwise in 11 fewer games. 

You can also argue that makar has played with more productive players. Hughes has in my opinion been far more important to his team than Makar....but yeah this is more of an individual award i guess so your points are also valid.

Edited by linden17
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

50 minutes ago, linden17 said:

You can also argue that makar has played with more productive players. Hughes has in my opinion been far more important to his team than Makar....but yeah this is more of an individual award i guess so your points are also valid.

I mean, I agree with the arguments you make too. 

Admittedly I'm a bit cynical when it comes to this years Calder race though. I'd love nothing more than to see Hughes win but I feel like the Avs have gotten more attention. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I dont even care. The Calder is kind of a booby prize. what matters most is that he continues to grow as a player. handing a kid a prize that says you're the best sends completely the wrong message in terms of future growth. 

If you look at the careers of many a Calder winner, it's not like they decided there was nothing more to accomplish in the game and called it a day...

Dale Hawerchuk, Bobby Orr, Dave Keon, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Gump Worsley, Terry Sawchuk, Syl Apps, Luc Robitaille, Mario Lemieux, Tom Barrasso, Brian Leetch, Joe Nieuwendyk, Mike Bossy, Ray Bourque, Bobby Smith, Peter Stastny, Denis Potvin, Ken Dryden, Gil Perreault, Tony Esposito, Ed Belfour, Teemu Selanne, Peter Forsberg, Martin Brodeur, Pavel Bure, Ovechkin, Kane, Malkin, etc...

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, linden17 said:

Colorado only scored 10 more goals than us. That not a huge difference, in team production. 

The majority of Makar time with MacKinnon is on the powerplay, where he only has 19 out of his 50 points on the man advantage. Likewise, Hughes gets most of his points (25 out of his 53 points) from players like Miller, Pettersson, Boeser or Horvat, playing on the powerplay. 

If the season ended today, I’m almost certain Hughes gets the Calder, despite Makar having a better PPG. Voters tend to vote on who has the most points, when the two candidates are near equals.

People need to stop panicking and stay calm and informed. The most important thing is taking care of our immune systems. 

The season will eventually resume and be played in its entirety. No need to panic. Quinn will be crowned as he deserves. 

This is a scene from Wuhan... The epicenter of where this all started... And it's almost contained in Wuhan. People in Vancouver or any NHL city should not be too worried. It's not 1918... It's 2020 and we've got this covered. 

Everyone just stay as informed as possible. 

• Thanks 2
  • Wat 1

I’d say Hughes.  And I’m not being biased here.  Makar is good but no way does he have as much impact as Hughes does.  Without Hughes in the line up, Vancouver isn’t even close to the playoffs.  He has the ability to make those plays that lead to goals, even though he may not be assisted on them.  

makar is out, Avs still kick ass.  

I think one thing that could be on Hughes side for winning the Calder is the fact he tied an NHL record of 3+ assist in a single game in a rookie season at 4 games. I feel like he would break the record with some of the upcoming games we would have had. Its hard to argue with Makar’s point %. However Makar isn’t quite as essential to Colorado’s success as Hughes is for Vancouver, which impact on a team may also be a factor in the deciding votes because it is going to be a very close decision. There is certainly no walk away winner this season as opposed to previous years

9 hours ago, apollo said:

People need to stop panicking and stay calm and informed. The most important thing is taking care of our immune systems. 

The season will eventually resume and be played in its entirety. No need to panic. Quinn will be crowned as he deserves. 

This is a scene from Wuhan... The epicenter of where this all started... And it's almost contained in Wuhan. People in Vancouver or any NHL city should not be too worried. It's not 1918... It's 2020 and we've got this covered. 

Everyone just stay as informed as possible. 

The coronavirus thread is that way...

image.gif.832d0a66b33dc864cab921a795109bc1.gif