The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wow to the teams who traded away first round picks......

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

the canucks too

but the season is not concluded yet

not officially

so in my virus delirium

i still see a strong cup run for the orcas

i am hoisting the cup regularly in my madness

We are not part of that 'sucks to be you' list as our return is signed for multiple years to come.  

Would be nice to re-sign Toffoli though, lessen the loss of our 2nd rounder.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

35 minutes ago, Green Building said:

We are not part of that 'sucks to be you' list as our return is signed for multiple years to come.  

Would be nice to re-sign Toffoli though, lessen the loss of our 2nd rounder.

Pretty much have to sign Tofu now, or JB simply gave away a top prospect and a second for nothing.  Considering (IMO) we are still rebuilding, that’s a HUGE loss.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pretty much have to sign Tofu now, or JB simply gave away a top prospect and a second for nothing.  Considering (IMO) we are still rebuilding, that’s a HUGE loss.  

JB has said they hope to get a 2nd round pick back by moving someone in the off season. not to worry.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, smithers joe said:

JB has said they hope to get a 2nd round pick back by moving someone in the off season. not to worry.

I heard that too Joe.  I’m thinking it’s Demko (who else?)

Still, need to sign Tofu.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I agree Pearson could be worth a second, but Sutter and Rooster would cost us a second to dump.  

imo, Roussell is tradeable without a 'sweetner". Had finally started to play well after his surgery and lay off.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

imo, Roussell is tradeable without a 'sweetner". Had finally started to play well after his surgery and lay off.

Rooster and Sutter are both replaceable by younger guys on ELC’s, especially Rooster.  JB has some tough choices this off season.  Does he sign our UFAs, or let them walk because we have a group of older crappy contracts?  I want us to keep Marky, Tanev, and Tofu.  But IMO to accomplish that we need to dump Loui, Rooster, Sutter, and Baer, which will cost us our best prospects and future picks.  For example, would JB trade Demko as the sweetener in a dump Loui deal?  Would he trade Jake to dump Sutter?  Those two trades would give us the cap room to sign Marky and Tanev.  We still need to dump Rooster and Baer to keep Tofu.  What do they coast us, OJ and Hoglander?  It’s a pretty bad spot JB has put us in with his signing older guys to term.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does he sign our UFAs, or let them walk because we have a group of older crappy contracts?

He lets some of them go.

keeping Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli isn't going to happen, imo. 

Markstrom I'd keep if he comes in at no more than $5.5 for 4 years.

Tanev, like the guy, he is a warrior, but he is aging and pricing out.

Toffoli  may sign, but will likely go to a California team. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, coastal.view said:

the canucks too

but the season is not concluded yet

not officially

so in my virus delirium

i still see a strong cup run for the orcas

i am hoisting the cup regularly in my madness

We might win a cup if the team had your strength and push back ha 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I heard that too Joe.  I’m thinking it’s Demko (who else?)

Still, need to sign Tofu.  

I think if Jim signs Marky , demko could be a piece that could land us a D man to play with Hughes.....

but I think it will depend on what Clarke thinks of our young goalies in the ahl.....

cause if we sign Marky then we are set in goal for at least 4 years and that leaves three drafts to find another goalie......

also I think thx to jakes game growing and TT showing well with petey, Brock could be on the way out.....that's 6 million off the books and TT and Jake arnt a big trade down and TT and Jake don't have any injury history iirc not like Brock and his wrist and Jake and TT can skate better then Brock and the league is all about skating now imho 

depth wins cups....

a lot could happen at the draft ha 

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Look where Tampa is in the regular season standings.  If WE were in that position, I sure as **** would expect Benning to do the same. Go for it while your window is open.  That’s what Gillis failed to do often enough.

Gillis limited his rental cost to a maximum of  2nd round picks - to acquire rentals that fit organizational needs.

Most notable was Roy - who he spent a 2nd and Connauton on.

Arguably, those teams did not need to add key, high end pieces - they needed secondary, support pieces.

In other words I agree with Gillis' philosophy in those stages - to retain their 1st round picks and not waste them on rentals.  The problem was not insufficient talent on those rosters or failure to spend enough - in hindsight the problem was that retaining those picks did not lead to the kind of drafting or development that would sustain a competitive franchise.  The team did not produce the prospects necessary - which are also good 'capital' to have if you're looking to acquire key pieces in potential cup runs.

I actually consider Gillis' rental work to be top notch (in spite of Roy not really working out).

Their principal needs were typically centers - and there is/was literally no better rental than a player like Pahlsson (an absolute playoff  beast that was a great pickup at a time the team, however, as a whole, was not peaking).  He cost 2 x 4th round picks - and by today's standards would cost a whole hell of a lot more to rent.

Likewise with key support pieces he managed to acquire - he stole Ehrhoff - he stole HIggins - he landed Lapierre for a 3rd round pick.   Vigneault had enough to work with - they simply did not have the health necessary at key times imo (and didn't capitalize on the picks they retained in the end - so in hindsight trading those picks would not have cost the franchise much). 

However, Gillis did not have a simple 'now' or 'all in' philosophy - he believed in a 'Detroit model' - he just was unable to emulate it.  He did not believe in wasting key futures on short term pieces.  And - he believed it was essential to balance towards the future even in the midst of competing - ie no better example than dealing Schneider for a 1st/Horvat - which did not exactly serve his own short term window / self-preservation interests.

I agree with his philosophy entirely - it's unfortunate they didn't manage to rebuild the scouting, system and development aspects of the franchise sufficiently, but realistically, he was an exceptional GM in the specific context of the needs of a contender - he knew how to fill out the key parts of a roster.   Players like Malhotra, Higgins - Lapierre - were key/critical support pieces that enabled the kind of top 6 they had.  A pmd like Ehrhoff is a very difficult piece to add - and he did it at yard sale prices.   So while he may not have completed the task, he sure as hell made the right moves in attempting to - there's just more to it than the right moves - it also takes some luck, health, good fortune in general - that did not smile on them.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

People who are in panic and think the NHL won't resume the season once the virus is gone are the same people who are stocking up on toilet paper thinking it'll save them from Corona. 

Relax. Stay safe. Isolate yourselves. We are all in this together and hopefully in a month we can stop self isolation 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1