The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wow to the teams who traded away first round picks......

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Posting this without realizing we basically cleared our cupboards for this year's draft going for a playoff run...?

check your cupboards again. 

so save the drama for if/when Toffoli signs somewhere else. 

until then, neither the cupboards are bare, nor did the one expiring contract acquired move on.

and btw - the playoffs are still an unpredictable possibility.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

check your cupboards again. 

so save the drama for if/when Toffoli signs somewhere else. 

until then, neither the cupboards are bare, nor did the one expiring contract acquired move on.

and btw - the playoffs are still an unpredictable possibility.

Assuming we make the playoffs we have one of the least amount of draft picks for the upcoming draft out of all the NHL teams. That's a fact. And I never questioned if those trades were worth it or not. Why are you trying to argue away a fact like a sheep-like diehard fan lol. 

• Cheers 1

Good on them for doing so, the season isn't over and there may well be playoffs and a Cup winner.

Leading into 2011, Gillis just got us a couple of 3rd liners. He should have blown the absolute bank and traded away all our 1st and 2nd round picks of the next 2 years to give Kesler and the Sedins two 30 goal scorers to play with. We not only would have won in 2011 but arguably again the next season and could have created a dynasty. Biggest fault of MG tenure was not going all-in and becoming the ultimate buyer. We could have had a couple of cups. Plus, those picks didn't turn out the best anyway...

• Upvote 3

On 3/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, apollo said:

People who are in panic and think the NHL won't resume the season once the virus is gone are the same people who are stocking up on toilet paper thinking it'll save them from Corona. 

Relax. Stay safe. Isolate yourselves. We are all in this together and hopefully in a month we can stop self isolation 

No need to panic as the virus likely wont kill the average Joe... but its laughable anyone thinks this will be over in a month or so.. it's been going on for months now in asia and canada usa is only beginning to see the start of it.. the only place that have actually kept it pretty under control is hong kong considering how many cases they have vs their open border to china. 

On 3/16/2020 at 9:12 AM, coastal.view said:

the canucks too

but the season is not concluded yet

not officially

so in my virus delirium

i still see a strong cup run for the orcas

i am hoisting the cup regularly in my madness

But if the season ends there was no playoffs therefore we did not make it. Therefore we will have our pick and should have some odds at the #1 :)

On 3/17/2020 at 7:43 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Biggest fault of MG tenure was not going all-in and becoming the ultimate buyer. We could have had a couple of cups. Plus, those picks didn't turn out the best anyway...

I so wanted him to trade Schnieder - I think the haul would've been greater than a 1st rounder.  

Anyways a simple fix to this if the season is done is allow the teams to work together on these deals on a future first rounder.  Also give teams a compliance buyout(bye Loui) to help with the cap.

On 3/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, N7Nucks said:

Losing a 2nd and Madden for 5-10 games of Toffoli would be a kick in the nuts. Hopefully he re-signs. I really like his game.

I believe he helped us win 2 whole games in his time.  Two wins for Madden and a 2nd, and lets not forget the conditional 4th as well, from a still-rebuilding team?  Yikes.

Edited by kilgore
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I believe he helped us win 2 whole games in his time.  Two wins for Madden and a 2nd, and lets not forget the conditional 4th as well, from a still-rebuilding team?  Yikes.

And would it be wise Cap management to sign Tofu?  He’s likely going to deserve at least 4 years times five million, and that’s the minimum.  He’s going to great to have fir two years, but maybe we have young ELC guys coming up in two years who will be better? Then what?  We are already doing this exact thing with Loui, Sutter, and Baer.  Why do this all over again? At some point our young guys need to play, because they are (likely?) better, and we need their lower cap costs.

On 3/16/2020 at 4:20 PM, Alflives said:

Rooster and Sutter are both replaceable by younger guys on ELC’s, especially Rooster.  JB has some tough choices this off season.  Does he sign our UFAs, or let them walk because we have a group of older crappy contracts?  I want us to keep Marky, Tanev, and Tofu.  But IMO to accomplish that we need to dump Loui, Rooster, Sutter, and Baer, which will cost us our best prospects and future picks.  For example, would JB trade Demko as the sweetener in a dump Loui deal?  Would he trade Jake to dump Sutter?  Those two trades would give us the cap room to sign Marky and Tanev.  We still need to dump Rooster and Baer to keep Tofu.  What do they coast us, OJ and Hoglander?  It’s a pretty bad spot JB has put us in with his signing older guys to term.  

Clauses and cap hits. :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

And would it be wise Cap management to sign Tofu?  He’s likely going to deserve at least 4 years times five million, and that’s the minimum.  He’s going to great to have fir two years, but maybe we have young ELC guys coming up in two years who will be better? Then what?  We are already doing this exact thing with Loui, Sutter, and Baer.  Why do this all over again? At some point our young guys need to play, because they are (likely?) better, and we need their lower cap costs.

LA might make an offer for Miller. Tofu will go to LA again, kids, family and LA needs him. He has expressed before the trade how much he loves LA, I think LA looked at who to trade and decided Tofu was the best "rental" trade because of his strong ties in the area. They could have traded other players at that price but Tofu was the most adamant about staying.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 2:39 PM, Alflives said:

True.  But no way JB can sell letting Tofu go after giving up what he did.  Face it, there will be no playoffs, no Cup this year.  Unfortunately not only had Tofu not even had time to gel with this team, especially like a playoff battle would have helped do, but his camp will know how desperate JB is to save face so we won't get him cheap if we do.

15 hours ago, kilgore said:

True.  But no way JB can sell letting Tofu go after giving up what he did.  Face it, there will be no playoffs, no Cup this year.  Unfortunately not only had Tofu not even had time to gel with this team, especially like a playoff battle would have helped do, but his camp will know how desperate JB is to save face so we won't get him cheap if we do.

why would Jim have to save face? was he supposed to predict the potential end of the season? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why would Jim have to save face? was he supposed to predict the potential end of the season? 

Of course not. Maybe the wrong word to use.  I mean more that the Tofolli camp will know that they have JB's balls in a glass. People won't blame JB for the virus, but it would still be a massive hit on the organization if Tofu walked after 10 games of service because JB can't convince him to stay, and the reason he can't won't matter much to a lot of fans. Another gamble that didn't pay off added to the pile of LE and Juolevi (Tkachuk) for a lot of fans. I'm just sayin. It may be unfair but It is what it is.

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Of course not. Maybe the wrong word to use.  I mean more that the Tofolli camp will know that they have JB's balls in a glass. People won't blame JB for the virus, but it would still be a massive hit on the organization if Tofu walked after 10 games of service because JB can't convince him to stay, and the reason he can't won't matter much to a lot of fans. Another gamble that didn't pay off added to the pile of LE and Juolevi (Tkachuk) for a lot of fans. I'm just sayin. It may be unfair but It is what it is.

well, every GM eventually falls out of favour with the fan base. If losing Toffoli is the last straw at least Jim managed to draft a heck of a future core. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, FutureFilm said:

It would be interesting to see if the entire season is cancelled is what happens with the conditional picks such as our first. Does it automatically go to next year? Will be interesting to see

I would think they’d still seed teams like they would if the playoffs actually happened. They need to have a draft order. It’s simple to seed everyone based on point percentage.  So in Vancouvers case they would be in. They’d give up this years first.  

• Upvote 1