The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] demko/capdump

i don't see the need to keep demko if we are going to sign markstrom long term. i also don't think we will get a  good roster player for him, and i also am not wanting draft picks(as i don't think we can get a first for him) .its not that i don't think he has no value. i like him and i think down the road he can be valuable.   we also have DiPietro pushing in the next bit. so what if we use demko as a cap dump. even if we have to add a bit more to get this accomplished.  san jose has no real bonafide goalie prospects coming up.  demko is from the west coast of the states. 

my proposal

eriksson, demko, 3rd to san jose for a 6th

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tonytanti said:

i don't see the need to keep demko if we are going to sign markstrom long term. i also don't think we will get a  good roster player for him, and i also am not wanting draft picks(as i don't think we can get a first for him) .its not that i don't think he has no value. i like him and i think down the road he can be valuable.   we also have DiPietro pushing in the next bit. so what if we use demko as a cap dump. even if we have to add a bit more to get this accomplished.  san jose has no real bonafide goalie prospects coming up.  demko is from the west coast of the states. 

my proposal

We have zero reason to do this right now. We need Goalie depth.

Let's wait and see what the league is going to do. Its been floated that if the cap stays flat or needs to go down, that they might be willing to grant each team 1 compliance buyout that would be exempt from the Cap. If that happens, Eriksson will just be bought out and join Lucic and a number of other guys, without contracts and contemplating retirement.

• Vintage 4

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We have zero reason to do this right now. We need Goalie depth.

Let's wait and see what the league is going to do. Its been floated that if the cap stays flat or needs to go down, that they might be willing to grant each team 1 compliance buyout that would be exempt from the Cap. If that happens, Eriksson will just be bought out and join Lucic and a number of other guys, without contracts and contemplating retirement.

The compliance buyout thing was floated by fans. I’ve yet to see anyone other than fans discuss this as a possibility.  I’d love to see a link to an actual insider saying anything about it 

Don't think it would interest the Sharks.  Wilson doesn't want to rebuild and Demko is not yet proven enough to be already a number 1.   

Wilson has every intention for his team to compete now - several of the guys he lists as core are hitting or are already in their 30s.  They want to win now before that group ages out.  Eriksson would just be wasting cap space.  They are more likely to use that space to sign a legit starter that can win with their current core.  

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

The compliance buyout thing was floated by fans. I’ve yet to see anyone other than fans discuss this as a possibility.  I’d love to see a link to an actual insider saying anything about it 

I'm having trouble finding where it was, there are soooo many interviews about different solutions right now, but I did hear it 3 or 4 days ago from one of the sporting commentary. Was either on Sportsnet or TSN, but it is absolutely all speculation. There's no guarantee that the NHL would do this, but its not out of the realm of possibility right now. I would think all options are on the table, but nothing gets finalized until they have a timeline for things to resume.

Nothing will be finalized until they know how bad this is.

2 hours ago, BCNeil said:

I think the Sharks will be looking to find a number 1 goalie.  Plus let's not help the Sharks, Demko could be a great goalie in a couple years.  

There will potentially be far better options for a starting goalie available in free agency this year than Demko and without giving up assets other than cap space.  

Holtby, Lehner, Murray, Crawford, Markstrom are all potentially free agents 

Have to say the OP at least did his homework about who might want Demko - Jones played way below standard for much of the year.  One of a few teams that would us a protection spot on Demko over what they already have. 

That said they are cap crunched as it is so no way they'd at all be interested in LE.

We are best off keeping Demko as either our own sacrifice to Seattle, a back-up and a possibly better trade chip later (after expansion or if he's trending up next TDL).  We are stuck with LE.   Other guys like Bear or Sutter could be used as cap dumps possibly without too much sting.   Or we could make a hockey trade for Pearson ....

On 3/18/2020 at 1:02 PM, tonytanti said:

my proposal

1395873445_beatdown1.gif.7828b0c4b9dabc866046da7f4ec3bd71.gif