The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Or Against Martial Law for the Covid-19 Virus?

Gator

Martial Law  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The quickest way to end this is to go full authoritarian and force everyone to stay out of the public. This worked in Wuhan if you believe the reports. But we won't do that. So people are going to go hang out enmasse at parks and etc. 

Again I don't know what is going on in the Lower Mainland and maybe it's because it's still winter in Alberta lots of snow very cold but it is a ghost town around Calgary and surrounding area

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Martial Law is not going to stop this thing its too late, would just delay the inevitable, just keeping making money while social distancing. 

Theres isnt that many infected in Canada yet. Martial law would no doubt help. Were at the point now where we could go for a couple hundred, to 10s of thousands in just a few days. It's not too late, but it could be next week. This is the time of the month where most people will be out shopping and spreading the virus. We need to stop it now if we want this social distancing thing to really work. Theres only 1 logical way we can keep the not so scared kids in the house and that's Martial Law IMO

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not picking on British Columbia I have family there but I have heard a lot of people tell me that they don't feel like BC is taking it serious enough I don't know if that is the case I know they're closures of schools and daycares and other things were all after Alberta's decision to do it and I think you guys have the second most cases in the country. Maybe you can fill me in on more of the approach they are taking. To be honest I hardly watch news anymore or TV for that matter.

I don't watch much news either(probably cuz I am stuck at work hehe) but I know they declared a state of emergency both health wise and province wise - which I think is first step to giving the government more power to shut the province down.  I don't know what it's like in the rest of Canada but it seems like it's up to each individual business if they want to close or not - it's just most businesses that deal with customers coming in and out are exercising that option.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Again I don't know what is going on in the Lower Mainland and maybe it's because it's still winter in Alberta lots of snow very cold but it is a ghost town around Calgary and surrounding area

Lots of people in Vancouver along the water yesterday apparently. Mill Lake in Abby here I heard was packed the other day. People on Abby News were bitching about it.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

. Maybe you can fill me in on more of the approach they are taking. 

Just my view,  but BC has been very conservative in their approach - one might go as far as saying we've been reactivate instead of proactive given the evidence/data from other countries that was widely available to all government/health officials.   

Can't entirely blame anyone though,  we're talking about relatively unprecedented times here.  Choices ppl make could potentially cost/save thousands of lives - nobody wants to mk snap decisions. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Lots of people in Vancouver along the water yesterday apparently. Mill Lake in Abby here I heard was packed the other day. People on Abby News were bitching about it.

Geez.

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Just my view,  but BC has been very conservative in their approach - one might go as far as saying we've been reactivate instead of proactive given the evidence/data from other countries that was widely available to all government/health officials.   

Can't entirely blame anyone though,  we're talking about relatively unprecedented times here.  Choices ppl make could potentially cost/save thousands of lives - nobody wants to mk snap decisions. 

See I initially thought Alberta's approach was over the top but it seems to be what everybody is doing now. I agree it is unprecedented and there really is no plan on how to respond. I know we talked and say it's easy enough to shut everything down however that will have lasting effects on businesses who may or may not ever reopen. Government all across this country have to take that into account when making decisions.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Geez.

See I initially thought Alberta's approach was over the top but it seems to be what everybody is doing now. I agree it is unprecedented and there really is no plan on how to respond. I know we talked and say it's easy enough to shut everything down however that will have lasting effects on businesses who may or may not ever reopen. Government all across this country have to take that into account when making decisions.

I'm sorry, but if this truly is a pandemic people's lives are more important than some small businesses. Sure our economy will take a big hit, but we will bounce back. If a flu gets bad enough it will crush not only our economy, but the population as well.

The Spanish flu came in 3 waves, the 2nd being the most deadly. WE DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN WITH THIS FLU. 

Think it's bad now, do you know what these viruses are capable of mutating into? Quite scary when you really read up on it. This is definitely no joke and should be taken very seriously. Right now an over reaction is a hell of a lot better than and under reaction. Kill the virus before the virus kills us

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

I'm sorry, but if this truly is a pandemic people's lives are more important than some small businesses. Sure our economy will take a big hit, but we will bounce back. If a flu gets bad enough it will crush not only our economy, but the population as well.

The Spanish flu came in 3 waves, the 2nd being the most deadly. WE DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN WITH THIS FLU. 

Think it's bad now, do you know what these viruses are capable of mutating into? Quite scary when you really read up on it. This is definitely no joke and should be taken very seriously. Right now an over reaction is a hell of a lot better than and under reaction. Kill the virus before the virus kills us

I'm not saying you're wrong what I'm saying is governments have to take all these things into consideration. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not picking on British Columbia I have family there but I have heard a lot of people tell me that they don't feel like BC is taking it serious enough I don't know if that is the case I know they're closures of schools and daycares and other things were all after Alberta's decision to do it and I think you guys have the second most cases in the country. Maybe you can fill me in on more of the approach they are taking. To be honest I hardly watch news anymore or TV for that matter.

State of Emergency in BC and pretty much the same protocol as Alta.  BC was begging the Feds to close the boarder for over a week and it's finally happening.  Tourists were already flooding into BC to go skiing and the Easter break was looming.  Thankfully Wistler, Mt.Washington and other resorts managed to close before the break. Also, the reason BC, Wa and Ca have a high rate of infected people is because they all have the big international airports that had hundreds of jets coming in from infected areas in Asia.

I hear that some fools in Vancouver who are not paying attention to the distancing protocol, but I haven't noticed much of that where I live. Unfortunately the Spring like weather is reinforcing their lack of common sense. Sadly, we know little about this virus; especially what effect it may have on an individuals health in the future.  They may be having a great time now at the expense of their health later on.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

we have a lot more tools than they did back in 1918. We've already seen countries stop the growth curve, we have trials underway using existing meds, and we have several vaccines in development. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we have a lot more tools than they did back in 1918. We've already seen countries stop the growth curve, we have trials underway using existing meds, and we have several vaccines in development. 

Vaccines in development does not mean we will get one anytime soon. The biggest reason the Spanish flu got so bad is because it was during WW1 and countries didnt want to report it because the enemies would know they were weakened by it.

It didnt even start in Spain it was them that blew the whistle on it. A lot of people thinks it started there.

This is a virus we have no knowledge of period. It's a dangerously infective virus and it does pose a big threat and should be handled the best way possible in a timely manner before it spreads too much

Just now, Brock Botanen said:

Vaccines in development does not mean we will get one anytime soon. The biggest reason the Spanish flu got so bad is because it was during WW1 and countries didnt want to report it because the enemies would know they were weakened by it.

It didnt even start in Spain it was them that blew the whistle on it. A lot of people thinks it started there.

This is a virus we have no knowledge of period. It's a dangerously infective virus and it does pose a big threat and should be handled the best way possible in a timely manner before it spreads too much

thats actually not true. Its important that we don't start making up things, particularly if they lead to panic. We know a great deal about this virus: its very similar to SARS; we know social techniques that will work on it; they've been able to replicate it in the lab in multiple countries; multiple labs are having initial success in testing possible treatments; several human trials are underway for vaccine testing, one right in Seattle.

I know you're freaked out, but you need to focus on what we actually know, not what theoretically may or may not occur. 

• Cheers 3

Psychological programing of the masses to welcome totalitarian manipulation and control...all for our own good of course! This is nothing but a well-planned execution of a Hegelian Dialectic process where a problem is created so that the masses will willingly embrace "solution".  Baby steps at first, then comes the hammer.  There's darker forces at work here people...resist the urge to surrender to the irrational fear and hype.  

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false” — William Casey Director of the C.I.A. at an early February 1981 meeting of the newly elected President Reagan in the Roosevelt Room of the WH with his new cabinet secretaries." (confirmed by Barbara Honnager, Nov 25, 2014)

http://truthstreammedia.com/2015/01/13/cia-flashback-well-know-our-disinformation-program-is-complete-when-everything-the-american-public-believes-is-false/

https://www.globalresearch.ca/spinning-fear-and-panic-across-america-analysis-of-covid-19-data/5706785

Understand what you'll get in martial law. The suspension of the Canadian Constitution and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. All your rights, all your freedoms you now  enjoy, gone! Complete control of your person, family and life. Only to be given back if, and when THEY decide you deserve them back. 

Supposed virus or not....HELL NO TO MARTIAL LAW!!!

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Edmonton is iffy. A friend is doing some contract job at the mall and he said there's ton of ppl hanging out there. Though my community is quiet for the most part. Lots of families with young kids here so rightly so everyone appears to be hunkering down near me. No reported cases here as of yet and we're only 15 mins outside of the city.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Psychological programing of the masses to welcome totalitarian manipulation and control...all for our own good of course! This is nothing but a well-planned execution of a Hegelian Dialectic process where a problem is created so that the masses will willingly embrace "solution".  Baby steps at first, then comes the hammer.  There's darker forces at work here people...resist the urge to surrender to the irrational fear and hype.  

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false” — William Casey Director of the C.I.A. at an early February 1981 meeting of the newly elected President Reagan in the Roosevelt Room of the WH with his new cabinet secretaries." (confirmed by Barbara Honnager, Nov 25, 2014)

http://truthstreammedia.com/2015/01/13/cia-flashback-well-know-our-disinformation-program-is-complete-when-everything-the-american-public-believes-is-false/

https://www.globalresearch.ca/spinning-fear-and-panic-across-america-analysis-of-covid-19-data/5706785

Understand what you'll get in martial law. The suspension of the Canadian Constitution and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. All your rights, all your freedoms you now  enjoy, gone! Complete control of your person, family and life. Only to be given back if, and when THEY decide you deserve them back. 

Supposed virus or not....HELL NO TO MARTIAL LAW!!!

Don't be this guy either.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats actually not true. Its important that we don't start making up things, particularly if they lead to panic. We know a great deal about this virus: its very similar to SARS; we know social techniques that will work on it; they've been able to replicate it in the lab in multiple countries; multiple labs are having initial success in testing possible treatments; several human trials are underway for vaccine testing, one right in Seattle.

I know you're freaked out, but you need to focus on what we actually know, not what theoretically may or may not occur. 

It is a strain of SARS and it shares 80-90% of the genetic code, but it's still a totally different virus. It's a hell of a lot more infectious. The death rate is a lot lower, but the death toll will be a lot higher. And infectious virus like this 1 that can spread between species is highly susceptible to mutations and it's already been proven that you can catch it more than once. The more it mutates and the faster it spreads, the harder it will be to create the vaccine. 

They're running tests, but they still dont expect a vaccine for 18 months. It could be a very long haul, especially if a high number of people are confirmed to have gotten it multiple times. Not sure how many are confirmed, but I heard of 1 Japenese guy, and 100s of Chinese were infected twice already. 

Most viruses you are immune to after catching it, because of the antibody your immune system builds. However from what I've read a couple weeks ago (new research could debunk this) the antibody we develop after catching this virus only lasts for a short period of time for some reason.

That's the biggest hurdle in terms of coming up with a vaccine. I am in no way trying to scare people. Just trying to help people understand what I've gathered from reading up on it

Yeah no thanks to martial law.  For the most part people are already distancing physically, and we still need fresh air and space in nature to be healthy.

Might as well put us behind bars if we were going to have such a law, and I value my freedom.