• K. McLean
    • M. Ohlund
    • T. Bertuzzi
    • T. Gradin
    • A. Burrows

This poll is closed to new votes

Voted Smyl. 

Nominate Kurtenbach

Edit: Btw, I'm not putting down Naslund, Luongo, or any other Canuck who is worthy. I just don't believe a lot of people on this board understand how much of an impact "Steamer" had on this team in his day. Again, there's a reason his jersey is hanging in the rafters. 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Voted Steamer. 

One superior year or so out of Naslund and that’s all it took to become the greatest Canuck over The Steamer, a guy who bled more than he scored and STILL has nearly the same “points” as one-dimensional, gravy fed Naslund?

Should be a height requirement for this vote-ride for the kids in here. 

Luongo was better for longer than one-dimensional Naslund and consistently and single-handedly won games that put this team into the playoffs, where Naslund, as we know, didn’t belong, much like other Greatest Canucks ever, which in itself is telling of this posting demographic. 

Without Bert to shoot through, Naslund’s snipes would have had a much different result. Bertuzzi made Naslund, IMO. 

Steamer gets little respect from the Sedin crowd in here and no wonder, considering what brand of finesse hockey these fans were exposed to, the same fans of the franchise who believe Burrows somehow belongs above The Steamer.

I can only imagine what fans would have thought if Smyl was somehow playing during the Sedin era, given how much fanfare Burrows has received for his circus act of a career, despite the good. Steamer was just as good if not better of a winger while being equal parts intact-male, which can’t be said for the player who was a main reason this franchise lost all respect for a decade or so. 

Great Canucks are those who best carried the flag into war, not just into the PP. 

Steamer might as well be first on this list in that regard, but posting demographics will have him somewhere below the one dimensional, non playoff types and possibly even below the biting hair-pullers.

Greatest Canucks, lol, ya, the millennial hipster-version... I get it, but this is where I get off this entertaining ride. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Voted Steamer. 

One superior year or so out of Naslund and that’s all it took to become the greatest Canuck over The Steamer, a guy who bled more than he scored and STILL has nearly the same “points” as one-dimensional, gravy fed Naslund?

Should be a height requirement for this vote-ride for the kids in here. 

Luongo was better for longer than one-dimensional Naslund and consistently and single-handedly won games that put this team into the playoffs, where Naslund, as we know, didn’t belong, much like other Greatest Canucks ever, which in itself is telling of this posting demographic. 

Without Bert to shoot through, Naslund’s snipes would have had a much different result. Bertuzzi made Naslund, IMO. 

Steamer gets little respect from the Sedin crowd in here and no wonder, considering what brand of finesse hockey these fans were exposed to, the same fans of the franchise who believe Burrows somehow belongs above The Steamer.

I can only imagine what fans would have thought if Smyl was somehow playing during the Sedin era, given how much fanfare Burrows has received for his circus act of a career, despite the good. Steamer was just as good if not better of a winger while being equal parts intact-male, which can’t be said for the player who was a main reason this franchise lost all respect for a decade or so. 

Great Canucks are those who best carried the flag into war, not just into the PP. 

Steamer might as well be first on this list in that regard, but posting demographics will have him somewhere below the one dimensional, non playoff types and possibly even below the biting hair-pullers.

Greatest Canucks, lol, ya, the millennial hipster-version... I get it, but this is where I get off this entertaining ride. 

Sadly there seems to be a pretty heavy "West Coast Express and after" bias in these things.  It's great that those players are getting respect but it's pretty easy to forget the old heroes or sweep them under the rug.

Unfortunately I suspect the same thing probably happens elsewhere.  Do Buffalo Sabres fans ever hear the names Mike Foligno or Don Edwards in this day and age?  Do Penguins fans learn about Randy Carlyle and and Rick Kehoe and Jean Pronovost or does history just begin with Mario Lemieux...

Stan Smyl was Trevor Linden before there was a Trevor Linden.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

As much as they may be irritated, I really do hope voters of older players remain--it's definitely true that there are a lot of younger posters (or just ones that don't know their history), so those who've been fans through the 70s, 80s, and 90s have valuable opinions.

• -AJ- locked this topic