The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Could Coronavirus Lead to the Return of Compliance Buyouts?

I don't know what the NHLPA's take would be on this but dare to dream that we can remove LE from the team in a way that he gets most of his money and can sign elsewhere and the Canucks can move on.

Everyone's happy except the guy signing the big check.:o

13 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Eriksson + Beagle/Roussel/Ferland/Myers much more worth it.

You can suck up 1 year of 3M for Baer.  Not the same with the other guys above.

It'd be Loui and either Ferland/ Myers for me, hope we could lose Fergie before he becomes injured again.  At least Roussel stays healthy enough to provide grit.

Myers just needs the right partner on the blue-line, maybe Edler?  Though I'd be fine to lose Tyler since we have Stecher already (or maybe trade T.M.)?

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I don't know what the NHLPA's take would be on this but dare to dream that we can remove LE from the team in a way that he gets most of his money and can sign elsewhere and the Canucks can move on.

The PA could play hardball on this and dispute it in the court system for sure, but in the end they'd be saving a couple overpaid guys on every team at the expense  (and maybe career) of probably 6-10 guys on every team who wouldn't get contract offers at all or who would get completely low-ball contracts because of the cap limitations of each team.  That and the PA would know if they didn't agree the owners/GM's would probably start mass demotions to the AHL - at least if their members are bought out they can look for more reasonable contracts and stay in the NHL. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hey @aGENT the one scenario you never thought of to shed Loui is a pandemic :lol: 

Raymond, Ballard and a Pandemic. 

I did think of it once the league shut down though! :lol:

If be thrilled if this happened though *fingers crossed*

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

The PA could play hardball on this and dispute it in the court system for sure, but in the end they'd be saving a couple overpaid guys on every team at the expense  (and maybe career) of probably 6-10 guys on every team who wouldn't get contract offers at all or who would get completely low-ball contracts because of the cap limitations of each team.  That and the PA would know if they didn't agree the owners/GM's would probably start mass demotions to the AHL - at least if their members are bought out they can look for more reasonable contracts and stay in the NHL. 

"but in the end they'd be saving a couple overpaid guys on every team "

They would be fighting to preserve the collective agreement that both sides signed.

"agree the owners/GM's would probably start mass demotions to the AH"

As long as they comply with the collective agreement, otherwise the league would likely lose and "unfair bargaining" lawsuit and a ton of money in settlement costs.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I did think of it once the league shut down though! :lol:

If be thrilled if this happened though *fingers crossed*

it would be a nice consolation prize, thats for sure. Buyout Sutter too and suddenly the team is looking in pretty darn good shape to really compete next season. 

I can't see there being any kind of season now given the horror show that seems to be set to unfold in the US :wacko: I guess there could be some sort of strange playoff thing where its all just on tv or something.

Compliance buying out of Loui is a no brainer.

I can't see management buying out Myers. Even if it is not counted towards the cap, they will still have to pay the guy about $19m of his $23m remaining on the contract. So although it might look like a nice way to clear cap, they aren't going to spend $19m just to clear some space.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would be a nice consolation prize, thats for sure. Buyout Sutter too and suddenly the team is looking in pretty darn good shape to really compete next season. 

I can't see there being any kind of season now given the horror show that seems to be set to unfold in the US :wacko: I guess there could be some sort of strange playoff thing where its all just on tv or something.

Doubt they buyout Sutter. C depth, part of leadership group, perfectly capable NHL'er, expires in one year anyway.

Eriksson and Baer though, absolutely. Almost $10m right there.

Can also still look in to moving Roussel as well if needed.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt they buyout Sutter. C depth, part of leadership group, perfectly capable NHL'er, expires in one year anyway.

Eriksson and Baer though, absolutely. Almost $10m right there.

Can also still look in to moving Roussel as well if needed.

I guess he might also have 8 more months to heal as well. 

• Haha 1

I can't see the league giving each team two, maybe one buyout.  Just about every team would be having cap issues or close to cap issues should the salary cap drop or stay stagnant  Imagine all 31 teams exercising that right?  62 jobs lost right there, can't see the NHLPA being okay with that.

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I can't see the league giving each team two, maybe one buyout.  Just about every team would be having cap issues or close to cap issues should the salary cap drop or stay stagnant  Imagine all 31 teams exercising that right?  62 jobs lost right there, can't see the NHLPA being okay with that.

It won't be 62 jobs. First, not all teams will use both buyouts.

Second, a good chunk of those guys will get other, cheaper deals on different teams. They'll still have jobs

And third, axing those '62',  high dollar guys will save teams from having to axe/demote/not sign or pay as much, multiples more of cheaper guys from rosters.

The PA will be very much on board.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2