The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Could Coronavirus Lead to the Return of Compliance Buyouts?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I have a feeling teams will play in a select few, possibly neutral, arenas for starters.

Everyone involved with the team would need to be tested REGULARLY.

All staff, players etc would need to continue social distancing when not on ice.

This also presumes we've all been aloud back out to some degree by then.

There's ways to do it while minimizing risks.

So then your condensing more people ( players staff gear)  into less venues..

per team, being realistic and minimalistic:

30 - 40 hotel rooms , staff, kitchens, gyms, Chiro, massage,  health care,. god forbid somebody has to go to the hospital these daysto support that.. 

im not a fear monger,

But do we have to lose a single player in any league and say “ it’s ok we/ he knew the risk” .. 

i really do not see this feasible without it still disrupting what so many are trying to achieve for the greater good.

its been said that once true/ real testing, and a vaccine is created .. this is not over.

Edited by SilentSam

On 4/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, SilentSam said:

So then your condensing more people ( players staff gear)  into less venues..

per team, being realistic and minimalistic:

30 - 40 hotel rooms , staff, kitchens, gyms, Chiro, massage,  health care,. god forbid somebody has to go to the hospital these daysto support that.. 

im not a fear monger,

But do we have to lose a single player in any league and say “ it’s ok we/ he knew the risk” .. 

i really do not see this feasible without it still disrupting what so many are trying to achieve for the greater good.

its been said that once true/ real testing, and a vaccine is created .. this is not over.

The Americans are supposed to have a 5 minute test on C-19. Everyone coming into the arena can be tested, both players and support. This is a process which might allow play until a inoculation is developed. We know some process will be used as the world cannot shutdown for 12 - 18 months. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

The Americans are supposed to have a 5 minute test on C-19. Everyone coming into the arena can be tested, both players and support. This is a process which might allow play until a inoculation is developed. We know some process will be used as the world cannot shutdown for 12 - 18 months. 

Funny how the U.S. fed ( trump) is touting how they have tests /get tested..  yet the State Governors say they have little to none.

Trump is saying testing is up to the governors , yet realistically it is up the Feds...  who keep wiping out any healthcare system that takes foot.    

20 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Funny how the U.S. fed ( trump) is touting how they have tests /get tested..  yet the State Governors say they have little to none.

Trump is saying testing is up to the governors , yet realistically it is up the Feds...  who keep wiping out any healthcare system that takes foot.    

The USA system does not have the strong central government that Canada has. State rights take precedent. The State is first responder in health and the feds are supposed to provide emergency backup thru FEMA and the military. After an initial claim by Trump that he could restart the economy he then deferred to State and municipal authority. 

My original point Sam was whether C-19 testing could allow a AHL or NHL restart even without fans present. I doubt they do as revenue thru TV is not likely enough. USA testing is supposed to be up to 300,000 daily by weeks end. We will see.  

• 2 weeks later...

Buy out Louie please.. 

I was a huge fan of this signing, but at this point this might be the most disappointing UFA signing in not only Canucks history, but NHL history. Feels like we just gave him a big fat retirement check. Or like I like to call them... the Yankee contract LOL

17 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Buy out Louie please.. 

I was a huge fan of this signing, but at this point this might be the most disappointing UFA signing in not only Canucks history, but NHL history. Feels like we just gave him a big fat retirement check. Or like I like to call them... the Yankee contract LOL

In history? Come on man.  That’s pretty myopic.  It’s not a great contract.  But the worst in NHL history? A statement like that  tells me you’re young and have no real grasp of NHL history. 

• Cheers 4

19 hours ago, qwijibo said:

In history? Come on man.  That’s pretty myopic.  It’s not a great contract.  But the worst in NHL history? A statement like that  tells me you’re young and have no real grasp of NHL history. 

Not even the worst that year :lol:

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Compliance buyout?.jpeg

Toronto needs to trade a F for a D but none of their guys particularly scream buyout candidates. Hawks however would LOVE a Seabrook shaped one... so there's hope for us yet! :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/4/2020 at 1:55 PM, qwijibo said:

I mean, Alexei Yashin comes to mind. 

What about that goalie that was signed to a life time deal - ah yeah - Rick Dipietro. 

That was a bad contract. And it ran for 15 years!!! 

Kovalchucks' contract signed with NJ was pretty bad as well. AAV 6.67 per year. My goodness. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

What about that goalie that was signed to a life time deal - ah yeah - Rick Dipietro. 

Kovalchucks' contract signed with NJ was pretty bad as well. AAV 6.67 per year. My goodness. 

Exactly.  Ericksson’s contract isn’t even on the radar as the worst all time. 

I wonder if there is a chance that the league reverses course on the Lou recapture.  Not that the league usually does anything to help us however I wonder if there is a a negotiating angle on this piece.  With the cap flat, then there may be grounds to fight for this.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I wonder if there is a chance that the league reverses course on the Lou recapture.  Not that the league usually does anything to help us however I wonder if there is a a negotiating angle on this piece.  With the cap flat, then there may be grounds to fight for this.

Why would the league do that? What you are saying makes absolutely no sense. The recapture penalty is penalizing the team so they will let them off the hook... The compliance buyout is because all teams will be suffering due to the coronavirus cap issues.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Why would the league do that? What you are saying makes absolutely no sense. The recapture penalty is penalizing the team so they will let them off the hook... The compliance buyout is because all teams will be suffering due to the coronavirus cap issues.

As it has been discussed many times, the contract was signed prior to the recapture was defined.  If they allow a compliance buyout per team then there is no way they would do this.  If they didn't allow a compliance buyout, then to me there is a strong negotiation element here for JB/FA with the league due to the cap being flat.  I'm sure the premise of the league sticking to their guns on this was that the cap was going to go up 4-5mil and they would have said just deal with it.  There may be some leniency from the league with the current situation as there is no financial impact to the league either way.  It would actually allow money to go towards another player so the NHLPA would likely be in favour too.  

Of course it is not likely, but it doesn't make absolutely no sense.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

As it has been discussed many times, the contract was signed prior to the recapture was defined.  If they allow a compliance buyout per team then there is no way they would do this.  If they didn't allow a compliance buyout, then to me there is a strong negotiation element here for JB/FA with the league due to the cap being flat.  I'm sure the premise of the league sticking to their guns on this was that the cap was going to go up 4-5mil and they would have said just deal with it.  There may be some leniency from the league with the current situation as there is no financial impact to the league either way.  It would actually allow money to go towards another player so the NHLPA would likely be in favour too.  

No. This makes no sense at all. The punishment would/is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. The league isn't going to change it.

18 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Vancouver could have used a compliance buyout years ago before they traded Luongo to get out of any potential recapture penalty.  They chose not to, then lost control over the contract when they traded him. They’re won’t be any reversal on the penalty now (now matter how you try to justify it) 

20 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

No. This makes no sense at all. The punishment would/is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. The league isn't going to change it.

I think the contract limitations covers this now (8 years on re-signing, 7 on new signings) so that they avoid this situation.  I feel there may be some concessions by the league given the current situation.  If that didn't happen of course they wouldn't change.  

Ultimately it's not a huge impact for the Canucks, but when I look at Jamie Benn, Brent Seabrook, Carey Price, Shea Weber contracts, those teams are going to be in major trouble going forward unless they either have a compliance buyout or those players hit the LTIR in a couple years.  Related to that, what do you think Montreal would do if they were given one compliance buyout:

1) Do nothing and keep the contracts

2) Trade one of Price or Weber if possible (Both great players still playing at the top level but contract negates value in my perspective)

3) Compliance buyout of one of them

I think they would try to trade Price to a low cap team and failing that consider number 3 on him.

11 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think the contract limitations covers this now (8 years on re-signing, 7 on new signings) so that they avoid this situation.  I feel there may be some concessions by the league given the current situation.  If that didn't happen of course they wouldn't change.  

Ultimately it's not a huge impact for the Canucks, but when I look at Jamie Benn, Brent Seabrook, Carey Price, Shea Weber contracts, those teams are going to be in major trouble going forward unless they either have a compliance buyout or those players hit the LTIR in a couple years.  Related to that, what do you think Montreal would do if they were given one compliance buyout:

2) Trade one of Price or Weber if possible (Both great players still playing at the top level but contract negates value in my perspective)

I think they would try to trade Price to a low cap team and failing that consider number 3 on him.

Those teams took advantage of the cap and if it comes back to bite them then that is the risk they took. The NHL will not save them. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Montreal won’t be buying out either Price or Weber.  If there is a compliance buyout it’ll be used on Alzner 

Price’s contract doesn’t have a recapture penalty and if Weber retires early (after the next 2-3 seasons) it’s Nashville that takes the hit. Montreal will have a small recapture at worst,(if he retires this year) and no recapture at all in 3 years.  

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

On 5/4/2020 at 2:55 PM, qwijibo said:

On 5/6/2020 at 2:46 AM, N4ZZY said:

Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Wade Redden, just off the top of my head.

• Cheers 1