The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Forgotten NHL "Stars"

Rate this topic

BoKnows

Since I've been locked in my house for the past little bit, I've been in my head a lot.  Recently I was thinking of forgotten NHL stars.  These players who were solid players in their prime and someone anyone would want on their team.  Sergei Gonchar comes to mind when I think of players like this.  I thought it would be an interesting discussion.  Who are some forgetting NHL stars (don't have to limit this to NHL) that you remember?

Pat Verbeek - maybe the quietest 1000 points ever

Ray Shephard - had 52 goals one year. 

Steve Rucchin - maybe not a star, but got to play with Kariya and Selanne a ton. Notable because he was part of one of the weirdest drafts in NHL history. The 1994 supplemental draft for otherwise draft-ineligible college players. 

Peter Bonda - Two 50+ goal seasons

Ziggy Palfy - Over a p/pg in his career. Retired midway through a game when Darcy Hordichuk laid him out. He had 42 points in 42 games at that point in the season. 

• Upvote 1

I'd put Mike Green in this list, though it seems like yesterday and also long ago that he was tearing it up with Ovie and Backstrom in Washington.

Marc Methot also -- former big minute D-partner to Erik Karlsson when he was in Ottawa, yet the Sens still exposed him in the Expansion Draft.  Turns out Vegas then dealt him to Dallas and he's now a UFA.

Anyone remember the shootout wizard that was Linus Omark?  Turns out he's been overseas since 2013.

Former Flyers captain and Kings 2nd line center Mike Richards?  All Name Team assistant captain Fedor Tyutin?

For the greybeards, Marty Turco (didn't really do much with a middling Stars team), Robert Lang, Jonathan Cheechoo (one hit wonder next to Joe Thornton) and all the middle 6 guys in the 2000's (Arnott, Straka, Glen Murray, Jason Allison, Deadmarsh...)

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1