The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Forgotten NHL "Stars"

Rate this topic

BoKnows

On 3/27/2020 at 9:04 AM, Tre Mac said:

I don't but Juneau and Carey were.  

Juneau played over 800 NHL games and had over 500 pts. I guess his one good season (102 pts 92-93) in Boston could be considered a "one hit wonder" but other wise this guy stuck around for a long time and averaged over 1/2 pt per game.

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Jason Allison and Zigmond Palffy. 

Marcel Dionne’s name almost never comes up when people talk of the greats, like Orr and a Howe, but the guy was every bit the superstar deserving more airtime. 

Dionne's numbers become even more impressive when factor just how dreadful those Kings teams were.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Dionne's numbers become even more impressive when factor just how dreadful those Kings teams were.

Least talked about mega star, IMO.

A guy mentioned Francis too, and so true, but arguably more recognized than Dionne, which is a minor point, but worth claiming. 

Ohlund was a Dman you’d want on any team in any game. Same with Iginla, despite winning little in the NHL. 

Mats Sundin was an incredible force of nature who suffered through decades of garbage Leafs rosters. 

Our Geoff Courtnal was another unsung guy, kind of replaced by Gelinas here. 

A guy could go on and on. 

Most the 92-97 Canuck roster was somewhat one to envy, piece by piece. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Mike Gartner

Tony Amonte

John Leclair

Milan Hejduk

Patrik Elias

Quick 5 that didn’t get their due.

Mike Gartner is in the HHOF...

Man did I ever despise Hejduk. He was a Canuck killer over the years.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Wes Walz was good against the Canucks but hardly a star. Maybe you were thinking of Andrew Brunette?

OP said players you would want on your team, not necessary a star players.

Walz was Manny Malhotra before Manny Malhotra. 

On 3/25/2020 at 2:11 PM, gurn said:

The best goal scorer, perhaps ever. Shame he had that bad back as I think he would have kept the streak going for a couple more seasons.

He's always been my favourite player and in my opinion best goal scorer ever hands down - c'mon nobody has ever matched his 9 CONSECUTIVE 50 goal seasons. Not Gretzky, not Ovi - no one. And he was all class to top it off. Man when he came down the wing look out:

• Upvote 1

Dennis Maruk and Mike Rogers are the kings of great accomplishments and being totally forgotten.

As for just being mostly forgotten, Bernie Nicholls, Brian Propp, Tim Kerr, Kent Nilsson, Mike Liut, Pete Peeters, Bobby Smith, Charlie Simmer.

Some other guys who did pretty impressive stuff and their name was never heard again...  Marc Tardif, Real Cloutier, Blaine Stoughton, Robbie Ftorek, Barry Pederson, Al Secord, Troy Murray.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2020 at 10:19 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Dennis Maruk and Mike Rogers are the kings of great accomplishments and being totally forgotten.

As for just being mostly forgotten, Bernie Nicholls, Brian Propp, Tim Kerr, Kent Nilsson, Mike Liut, Pete Peeters, Bobby Smith, Charlie Simmer.

Some other guys who did pretty impressive stuff and their name was never heard again...  Marc Tardif, Real Cloutier, Blaine Stoughton, Robbie Ftorek, Barry Pederson, Al Secord, Troy Murray.

On 4/6/2020 at 1:30 AM, grandmaster said:

This is so freaking sad. Wow

It is sad, but not really surprizing.

NHL players like anyone else can fall victim to mental health issues.

Joe Murphy seems like a bi-polar case.

I know he is listed in the concussion case against the NHL, and maybe that is the root of his problems.

But to me, without really knowing him, he seems like a guy that this may have happened to even if he never played hockey.

His career was very up and down, 3 ppg as an 18 year old, then trouble adjusting to the NHL, then he did well for a while, then conspiracy stuff later in his career.

He is certainly a guy that the NHL should have helped out more at the time, but you can't always look at the past through the current lense. 

He seemed to alienate himself before he left the NHL.

I know nothing abouthis injury history, but I would bet 60/40 mental illness over concussion.

But it very well could be both.

None the less, still sad on a human level

On 4/4/2020 at 10:19 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Marc Tardif was a 500 goal scorer and 1000point guy, lead the WHA in career goals.

But 2/3 of points and goals came in the WHA, so the NHL has forgotten him

But if you are in Quebec city you can still buy a car from his dealership

11 minutes ago, lmm said:

Marc Tardif was a 500 goal scorer and 1000point guy, lead the WHA in career goals.

But 2/3 of points and goals came in the WHA, so the NHL has forgotten him

But if you are in Quebec city you can still buy a car from his dealership

I've always felt the WHA deserves more respect in hockey history and accomplishments therein more consideration for the Hall of Fame.  Tardif and Real Cloutier were absolute beasts in that league.

And Tardif accomplished a lot when you add it up.  The stats you mentioned.  Two Stanley Cups, an AVCO Cup, Two "WHA Art Ross" Trophies, etc.

Cloutier was great in the NHL too.  97 points in 67 games one year.