The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor Bedard granted exceptional status by WHL

Rate this topic

Baer.

First player in WHL history to be granted exceptional status.

He will turn 15 this summer 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/forward-connor-bedard-first-exceptional-status-player-whl/

For the first time in WHL history, a player has been granted exceptional player status.

Connor Bedard, a 14-year-old North Vancouver native, was granted the status Tuesday after a review by BC Hockey and Hockey Canada and is eligible to play in the WHL next season.

“BC Hockey would like to congratulate Connor on being announced as the first player from Western Canada to be granted exceptional status in the CHL and WHL,” said BC Hockey Chief Executive Officer Barry Petrachenko in a statement. “Throughout the evaluation process, Connor has displayed the tremendous potential he has both mentally and physically to be able to be granted exceptional status.”

Bedard is a five-foot-eight, 165-pound forward who played on the West Vancouver Academy’s U18 team last season, scoring 43 goals and 84 points in 36 Canadian Sports School Hockey League game. He turns 15 in July.

Exceptional player status has been granted five times in the OHL (John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, Connor McDavid, Sean Day, and Shane Wright) and once in the QMJHL (Joe Veleno). According to a statement from the WHL, the status is awarded based on more than just on-ice ability and that Bedard’s “hockey skills, academic ability, and his mental and physical maturity,” were all considered in the evaluation.

The WHL Bantam Draft Lottery will utilize 21 selection balls, the allotment of which is as follows:

Swift Current Broncos – Six (pick previously traded via Lethbridge to the Regina Pats)
Moose Jaw Warriors – Five
Tri-City Americans – Four
Prince George Cougars – Three
Regina Pats – Two (pick previously traded to Saskatoon Blades)
Red Deer Rebels – One

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What are Sean Day, Shane Wright, and Joe Veleno up to these day?

Wasn't Veleno drafted by the Red Wings? (and not even that high)

Was drafted by Det in 1st round but at the end, yeah. He's only 20 though.

The other two don't even ring a bell for me. Funny how they are essentially 50% with this award (future prediction wise). Did pretty well with those 3 but of course McDavid was a gimme  

Shane Wright hasn't been drafted yet (born in 2004, eligible 2 years from now). 

Putting up Tavares like stats in the OHL though and reports are that he's a superior skater.

I think the only cautionary tale is Sean Day (too early to tell for Veleno who was PPG with Team Canada).

Day's weakness appears to have been an underdeveloped hockey sense, but news of a family arrest may have gotten to him then.

He also posted an ugly -23 with the Hartford team in the AHL (Rangers affiliate).

Anyways, congrats to the kid for the honor and look forward to seeing more news about him in 2024.

With a near-inevitable growth spurt he'll likely justify why he got the status.   

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

Was drafted by Det in 1st round but at the end, yeah. He's only 20 though.

The other two don't even ring a bell for me. Funny how they are essentially 50% with this award (future prediction wise). Did pretty well with those 3 but of course McDavid was a gimme  

Shane Wright had 39-27-66 in 58 games this year as a 15/16 year old before the OHL cancelled their season. I could be wrong but I think he's even getting PK time as an underage player in the O. Looks to be as advertised so far.

Sean Day went in the third round to the NYR back in 2016. Basically split his time 50/50 between the AHL and ECHL since turning pro. Remains to be seen if he has an NHL career ahead of him.

Veleno was having a pretty nice season for a 19 year old in the AHL before COVID hit. Looks to have an NHL future but remains to be seen.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Kind of ironic this 'exceptional status' concept. 

I get that these kids have outgrown their peers, and that there's nothing left for them to prove/learn at that level.  I also get that they'd inevitably be drafted by a terrible team anyway.

But it's like, "Congratulations kid, you are an exceptionally gifted athlete and person, your reward is to immediately be placed on one of the worst teams in the entire country at the age of 15 and hope that organization can get it together, or not.....good luck with that son.....?"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I get that these kids have outgrown their peers, and that there's nothing left for them to prove/learn at that level.  I also get that they'd inevitably be drafted by a terrible team anyway.

But it's like, "Congratulations kid, you are an exceptionally gifted athlete and person, your reward is to immediately be placed on one of the worst teams in the entire country at the age of 15 and hope that organization can get it together, or not.....good luck with that son.....?"

What else can you do?  The kid is 15 and a great talent.  Hopefully he will pan out and have to bail out the worst NHL team three years from now.

The common denominator with most of these exceptional kids is that they have January/February birth dates and are usually more physically and mentally mature than other kids born later in the same year. Day, Veleno, Wright and McDavid are all January birth dates while Ekblad barely missed at February 7th. The only 2 that were born later in the year are Tavares (August) and Bedard (July).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Rick Blight said:

I have read articles forecasting him to be the 1st overall pick in the 2022 draft.

If he's turning 15 this summer, wouldn't he be turning 17 in 2022? That would mean he would be 17 years old for the entire year of his first pro season.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

If he's turning 15 this summer, wouldn't he be turning 17 in 2022? That would mean he would be 17 years old for the entire year of his first pro season.

Sorry A.J. that was a typo on my part....should be 2023.I will edit my original post and thanks for catching the error.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Wright just finished his first season in the OHL as a 15/16 year old and LEAD his team in scoring. That is a pretty big feat. 

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

5'8" 165lbs is considered physically mature?

Mental note:  Name your kid Connor.

A friend's first two names are Doug Ross.

When he signs into hotels he uses his first two initials then his last name.  The clerks call him Doctor and give him a free up grade.:lol:

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

A friend's first two names are Doug Ross.

When he signs into hotels he uses his first two initials then his last name.  The clerks call him Doctor and give him a free up grade.:lol:

Hmmm I do the same with my name R.A., would a Registered Aromatherapist get the same benefits?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

The turnover in the CHL is about 3 years. Meaning teams go from elite to bottom feeder every 3 years. When this kid is 18 whatever team drafts him will be tops in league by then.

• Vintage 1