Sign in to follow this  
Baer.

Connor Bedard granted exceptional status by WHL

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What are Sean Day, Shane Wright, and Joe Veleno up to these day?

Wasn't Veleno drafted by the Red Wings? (and not even that high)

Veleno is a very good 2 way player don't sleep on him. One of the reasons he was granted "Exceptional status" was how mature he was for his age and how defensively aware he was in addition to his obscene point totals. He had 2ppg in his last season in the Q and put up 23pts in 54 games this year in his first AHL season. Veleno is a stud. maybe not a franchise player but a guy who will certainly be making an impact at the NHl level.

19 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What are Sean Day, Shane Wright, and Joe Veleno up to these day?

Wasn't Veleno drafted by the Red Wings? (and not even that high)

I remember when Veleno got the status, he didn't really get it because he was going to be the next McDavid or Tavares.  He got the status because he was an January birthday and missed the cut by a few days only.  Other factor was he was physically mature enough for the CHL and had nothing more to learn in Midget hockey.  I think that was more the reasoning behind the decision rather than he was expected to be a superstar.

While his status was kind of a stretch, he also threatened to go the US/NCAA route also, therefore, kind of gave the Q extra motivation to keep him. 

It's interesting to think about how we'll view this new wave of youngsters...

Who owns the next decade? How do they rank?

of Jack Hughes, Dahlin, Kaako, Lafreniere, Wright, Raty, Bedard, etc. Who emerges?

Interesting to see where Pettersson and Q. Hughes fit in that conversation too.

All I can say is that, I have been blown away by Shane Wright every time I've seen him. Probably my favourite of the bunch...

But Lanfreniere had himself back to back MONSTER seasons, and he is physically mature. Tremendous upside.

Really hard to say who will be the best of that bunch, or even if it will be somebody completely unexpected.

I don't personally think any of them are as good as peak Connor McDavid, I'd still put my money on McD owning the next decade.

People tend to forget how young he is still.

• Hydration 1