The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Compliance Buyouts, You Get Two

Rate this topic

Tre Mac

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

So for the sake of discussion let's say this season is scrapped and next season starts on time.  The cap is either the same or lower and as such the NHL gives each team 2 compliance buyouts(CB's).  You're in charge, grats, what 2 players do you say adios to in order to re-sign the big 3 UFA's(Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom)? 

We'll use the same criteria as last time, so you cannot buyout a player like Eriksson then re-sign him on the cheap. 

I chose two because I figured Eriksson would be a near obvious choice.  Here's a list of contracts according to capfriendly:

My choices:

Loui Eriksson

Tyler Myers

Other possiblities:

Brandon Sutter

Antoine Roussel

Jay Beagle

Micheal Ferland

Sven Baertschi

Not a fan of Myers at that caphit.  I think he's a 3rd pairing defensemen that might be able to fill in if injuries arise.  By using the CB's on Eriksson and Myers that'll free up the most cap space and I also feel that Tryamkin can fill in for Myers just fine.  

To add a little more discussion - Who would you buyout if you're only given one CB?  I still think Myers is the best option over Eriksson due to the longer term.  I do understand Myers could be exposed in the expansion draft but I doubt Seattle would take that contract.  Ferland due to his concussion history might be another viable candidate.

Discuss.

So you want to trade 1 of 2 big dmen as in Myers when we'll need it in the playoffs? We should have 2 big guys because what if we have a playoff run next year and Train gets injured and things get really rough? 

And Train isn't a lock yet until he signs.. 

Not a wise idea, LE of course but Sutter can now be replaced by AG since he has another season "almost" under his belt and played well enough to take the reigns as a top shutdown player for us and should pot 20 goals.. 

There's my 2.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

LE & Sutter for me

LE is obvious, 2nd choice came down to Sutter/Beartschi.

Ferland can go on LTIR if he can't play. Beagle & Roussel's contract are longer than Sutts/Baer but they offer more to the team.

Myers contract is worthy, but he makes us better & even if we did buy him out then you'd probably have to overpay someone else to replace him anyways, so. (+ you could prob retain 1.5M and get someone to trade for him if it ever came to that)

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

So you want to trade 1 of 2 big dmen as in Myers when we'll need it in the playoffs? We should have 2 big guys because what if we have a playoff run next year and Train gets injured and things get really rough? 

And Train isn't a lock yet until he signs.. 

Not a wise idea, LE of course but Sutter can now be replaced by AG since he has another season "almost" under his belt and played well enough to take the reigns as a top shutdown player for us and should pot 20 goals.. 

There's my 2.. 

I want to clear as much cap as possible.  If this team doesn't retain all three of those UFA's then I am afraid it'll take a step backwards.  There will be no Boeser, Petey or Hughes coming in on the cheap and being a legit piece to this team and you'll be losing value looking to free agency to fill those holes.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Beagle and Sutter are veterans who have won Stanley Cups.  

Both of them are excellent penalty killers.  Beagle is great at faceoffs and has been a great influence on our young guys.  

For me it would be Louie and Roussel. Antoine isn't able to be effective in the new NHL where you get penalized for sneezing on someone the wrong way (actually that's a bad analogy currently). 

Sutter didn't win a cup. Pittsburgh became a much better team once they got rid of him.

I would buy-out both Eriksson and Sutter. You knock out over $10 million in dead cap.

Sutter is a good defensive forward, but he gets injured with a gust of wind. It also frees up room to re-sign Toffoli, and then the top nine is pretty much set (Miller/Petey/Toffoli, Pearson/Horvat/Boeser, MacEwen/Gaudette/Virtanen). 

Ferland is LTIR and Baertschi is at a lower cap hit than Sutter. 

Edited by Darkstar
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, apollo said:

Believe it or not Myers left money on the table and took a discount to play in his home town.

Makes me sick when people rag on him.

Tyler Myers is going to be a long time succesful Canuck.

That all being said, I don't see how we get compliance buyouts again... those came in because the system was broken and there was many contracts that had abused teams before they changed the rules so to speak.

No rules were changed here, our season had to be paused due to a once in a life time pandemic.

Playoffs in August... buckle up Canucks fans!

His home town? I thought Myers was American. 

• Cheers 1

LE is the obvious first choice.

My choices on a second are:

#1. Baertschi - he's redundant in our team, much cheaper options. He doesn't fit in our bottom 6, needs to be in top 6 to be effective and he doesn't out rank anyone currently in our top 6

#2. Sutter - Just from salary. He's effective when he's healthy at suppressing shots and opportunities, but I think we could replace him at this point for much cheaper, probably from within.

#3. If not buying out either of those, I would probably look at trading with another team and taking doing a compliance buyout for another team in exchange for a good prospect or draft pick. So, if I team had more than 2 that they needed to buy out, what would they give us to do an extra for them? Would they be willing to take Baertschi off our hands, plus give us a draft pick in exchange for getting rid of a bigger problem for them.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I want to clear as much cap as possible.  If this team doesn't retain all three of those UFA's then I am afraid it'll take a step backwards.  There will be no Boeser, Petey or Hughes coming in on the cheap and being a legit piece to this team and you'll be losing value looking to free agency to fill those holes.

All I want for Christmas is Toffoli.. man I hope we get to keep him, Alien Flow TT JT Bo JV can only get better as the young guys gain experience and the team as a whole actually playing a lot obviously will help, been a turnstile team for long enough, yeah a lil bit with tweaking but hopefully it's over soon and we can actually grow a identity for a change and keep it.. fast tough and skilled.. yes please, had that 2011 but no depth but that's changing! Yay! Lol

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Boeser is signed until LE is gone, then he gets a portion of that added to what he has now on his contact so he's paid for but it's Petey who scares me cap wise, but JB will do what he has to do, at this point, I just want to see our top 6 stay as it is, Tofolli was the icing on the cake along with JT added to our guys looks like a pretty solid top 6.. and our bottom 6 will look better as players settle in and then to work on D but we still don't know exactly how that will work out but the expansion draft doesn't excite me.. only so many guys we can protect but we still have Hogs n Podz to hopefully fill the void of a lost forward which we probably lose unless by then we agree for Seattle to get Markstrom in exchange plus they take LE's contract plus a 1st round pick coming to us? Meh idk.. lol can you tell I hate LE that bad to package Marky? Lmao yup!!  

Eriksson and Roussel for me.  Eriksson is obvious and if Ferland can come back healthy next year then he will take Roussel's spot in the lineup.  Sutter is a good insurance policy if Beagle goes down and has less term than Roussel.  Baer is in the minors so his cap hit isn't huge and it's only for one more year.  Beagle is our only quality 4th line centre so not sure why people want to get rid of him. 

Not sure why people would want to get rid of Myers, he's been solid in a lot of games although inconsistent this season.  I'd partner him with Tryamkin next year and let the big Russian do the dirty work on that pairing. Even with 2 compliance buyouts I still don't think we re-sign Tanev.  I'd rather focus on Markstrom and Toffoli and perhaps get another right shot defenceman through a trade or free agency.

• Cheers 3

Well I think we all agree on Eriksson. I'm of the opinion that Sutter and possibly Baertschi can still be traded. Sutter is serviceable, and it was reported that both MTL and OTT inquired about Sven. If we can trade one or both without adding picks or holding cap then we should do it. Otherwise buyout Sutter. 

Even if we do buyout all these guys, still have to factor in how we're going to pay for Petey/Hughes for year after next. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Beagle and Sutter are veterans who have won Stanley Cups.  

Both of them are excellent penalty killers.  Beagle is great at faceoffs and has been a great influence on our young guys.  

For me it would be Louie and Roussel. Antoine isn't able to be effective in the new NHL where you get penalized for sneezing on someone the wrong way (actually that's a bad analogy currently). 

I like Beagle and Sutter too.  For 7 million combined salaries  to kill penalties penalties in a cap era is pretty expensive. And yes they have been a good influence on the young bucks but now is the time to give the young bucks to take over. Adam Gaudette is ready Imo and very capable of scoring 20 goals. Only Beagle  Toffoli ,and Pearson that have won cups . 

• Cheers 1

I'd lose Eriksson for sure and have a big think about Roussel. He might be key for us in the playoffs, but has been really up and down. I'd keep him on and decide in the offseason, lose him if we can keep all our guys for that extra 3M.

Certainly keep Sutter and Beagle, their worth down the middle, especially in the deep playoffs, will be invaluable and Gaudette is not quite defensively good enough yet.

6M of LE off the books should be enough to resign Toffoli, even if the cap drops.

• Cheers 2