The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Compliance Buyouts, You Get Two

Rate this topic

Tre Mac

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Lol at the Myers suggestions :lol: he's played well.

Why?  Five more years left, that contract will be bought out eventually.  I already made my points with regards to Myers and haven't heard a decent counter argument - 'he's played well or he's alright' doesn't cut it.  Not to mention how are you going to re-sign Hughes and Petey while not letting talent walk?  The other candidates have expiring contracts within 2 years so I am not as concerned about those cap hits, to be able to knock off as much as $10 mil of the books by replacing Myers with Tryamkin would put this team in the best position moving forward.  Myers is a 3rd pairing defenceman on a playoff team, he's not worth $6million imo.  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Wilbur said:

LE and Roussel for me.  I wouldn't want to gut defensive depth and get rid of Meyers.  Nor would I want to gut centre depth and get rid of Beagle.

Exactly my thinking.  Much easier to find a Roussel replacement internally or free agency than a Beagle, a faceoff and big time PKer for this team when you aren't going to put your young stars out on the PK.  And honestly outside of those first couple games Roussel has been BAD for most of this season, nothing like last year where I was extremely surprised at what he brought.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

GM JB would select: Losersson & BearCheese as the 2 buyouts if the league gave teams 2 compiance buyouts.

Would be interesting to know if they brought that in, could Luongo re capture be removed with 1 of them. Be wiser to dump Luo vs Sven as he has an additional year

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

Sign Markstrom at 5 x $6 Million.  Buy him out.  Re-sign him at 5 x $2 Million.  

This is actually a good idea and will be a great way to piss off Bettman. But we don't need compliance buyout to execute this idea.

Sign Marky to 100 years 100 million dollar contract. Buyout works as follows (as per https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq):

2/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is 26 or older at the time of the buyout

... the buyout is spread out over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.

This allows us to spread 2/3 of 100 mil = 66 mil over 200 years, which is 0.33 M cap hit per season. 

We re-sign Marky to league minimum contract over the next 5 season. This way Marky still makes his dough, we keep him at around 1M cap. I'm sure this violates many rules of the NHL and Bettman will intervene, but it's fun to think about.

Btw, I don't think compliance buyout allows teams to re-sign a player they just bought out (as per https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq):

For one season following a compliance buyout, players were not permitted to rejoin the team which performed the buyout (this restriction does not exist for normal buyouts).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

TBH Not sure the ins and outs of compliance buyouts but I would assume the Luongo recap cannot be bought out, it's a penalty not a contract.  

It is based on a contract though. No idea if we could or couldn't buy it out if we do have a 2nd compliance buyout (I assume not), but if we can, that's the next obvious spot past Eriksson.

Beyond that, Baer is the next most obvious candidate.

One could perhaps make an argument for Ferland but he's either healthy and still a valuable player worth his contract, or he's not healthy and both on LTIR and AFAIK, not eligible to be bought out (can't buy out guys on IR).

Buyouts are for guys that are no longer NHL caliber. Dead cap. Not guys who can still play and contribute say the NHL level, even if slightly 'overpaid' (whether in reality or merely some people's perception). Guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel or Myers are all capable, NHL level players who are all tradeable (retention or otherwise). That's not who you use buyouts on.

I did like the suggestion @VegasCanuck made in this thread for potentially collecting additional assets by taking on a higher dollar buyout piece in exchange for our cheaper Baer contract or similar (if Francesco approves it anyway). Something like Ladd + asset for Baer. Then buyout Ladd.

• Cheers 4

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

His home town? I thought Myers was American. 

He's always represented team Canada on the world stage. 

He's always lived in Kelowna, and played Jr for the rockets. The guy is as Canadian as it gets. 

He took a solid discount to come play for us and all I hear is people bashing him. Some armchair GMs that probably have 0 clue how to play hockey, 0 clue what Tyler is all about and likely either forming drunk or high thoughts. 

It's a shame Tyler has to deal with this. Whatever, hopefully he doesn't care about the opinion of some drunk / high fans that have unreasonable thoughts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, apollo said:

He's always represented team Canada on the world stage. 

He's always lived in Kelowna, and played Jr for the rockets. The guy is as Canadian as it gets. 

He took a solid discount to come play for us and all I hear is people bashing him. Some armchair GMs that probably have 0 clue how to play hockey, 0 clue what Tyler is all about and likely either forming drunk or high thoughts. 

It's a shame Tyler has to deal with this. Whatever, hopefully he doesn't care about the opinion of some drunk / high fans that have unreasonable thoughts. 

Geez no wonder Ivan Drago killed you so easily, you're too thin skinned - Luckily these professional athletes are not.  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I seriously doubt there will be any compliance buyouts, let alone 2. 

GM's were already talking about having regular compliance buyouts negotiated in to the CBA before global economy collapsing and the league shutting down due to covid.

If the cap stays flat out goes down, it's a very strong possibility.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

I seriously doubt there will be any compliance buyouts, let alone 2. 

The NHL allowed compliance buyouts for after the shortened 2013 season. Don’t see how this is any different. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

GM's were already talking about having regular compliance buyouts negotiated in to the CBA before global economy collapsing and the league shutting down due to covid.

If the cap stays flat out goes down, it's a very strong possibility.

It’s not the GM’s that negotiate the CBA, it’s the board of governors. Ie. the owners.  I can’t see them compounding the losses they’re taking right now by giving their GM’s a blank cheque to pay players to not play for them.  The initial compliance buy outs were to get teams down under a new cap system.  They had no choice but to allow it. This is a different situation.  The season is being shortened by what? 12 games.  (Plus playoff revenue for the teams that were in).  They were expecting a fairly big jump in the cap next season.  The cancellation of the season will likely erase that, but the cap won’t drop significantly, if at all.  

I could be wrong, I certainly don’t have any inside information, but I don’t see owners willingly lining up to write huge cheque’s for buyouts when the GM’s will just go out and spend right back up to the cap. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It’s not the GM’s that negotiate the CBA, it’s the board of governors. Ie. the owners.  I can’t see them compounding the losses they’re taking right now by giving their GM’s a blank cheque to pay players to not play for them.  The initial compliance buy outs were to get teams down under a new cap system.  They had no choice but to allow it. This is a different situation.  The season is being shortened by what? 12 games.  (Plus playoff revenue for the teams that were in).  They were expecting a fairly big jump in the cap next season.  The cancellation of the season will likely erase that, but the cap won’t drop significantly, if at all.  

I could be wrong, I certainly don’t have any inside information, but I don’t see owners willingly lining up to write huge cheque’s for buyouts when the GM’s will just go out and spend right back up to the cap. 

Fine, GM's AND owners. (Who do you think speaks publically for owners most of the time?)

A lot of teams will have 'no choice' either if the cap stays flat out goes down. The vast majority of teams are at or near the cap with players to re-sign. Not sure what you think is going to happen. There's precedent for exactly this type of move.

Owners will do whatever is best for the league as that's ultimately what's best for their own pockets.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Fine, GM's AND owners. (Who do you think speaks publically for owners most of the time?)

A lot of teams will have 'no choice' either if the cap stays flat out goes down. The vast majority of teams are at or near the cap with players to re-sign. Not sure what you think is going to happen. There's precedent for exactly this type of move.

Owners will do whatever is best for the league as that's ultimately what's best for their own pockets.

I guess we’ll see. I don’t see it happening. GM’s will go to owners with hat in hand asking for more money despite a flat cap. I think the owners will tell the GM’s to figure it out.  They made it work this year. Make it work next year. 

• Cheers 1