Sign in to follow this  
-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #8

Rate this topic

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #8  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I actually agree with you here. Even though Juice hasn't been voted in yet, his nomination here suggests he's probably going to get in around 15-20. I personally don't have him until the late 20s and have both Snepsts and particularly Lidster a fair bit higher.

 

I knew you'd be right one of these days.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Voted Gradin and nominate Don Lever.

 

I feel that I have to say a few things about Lever that the youngers folks may not know about him.

 

- he was a 3rd overall draft pick by the Canucks

- he was the 1st drafted and developed Captain in franchise history

- he was a mainstay on both the PP and PK

- he was the franchise leading scorer when he was traded to Atlanta

- he went on to Captain the New Jersey team and scored that franchise's 1st ever goal

 

He's a very respectable choice.  I have him around 15th myself.  To your accolades you can add that he was also the team's ironman record holder (around 400 games or so) until Linden showed up.

 

I have him neck and neck with another guy that isn't getting the love he deserves, Andre Boudrias.  And I have him well above a few people already on the board.

 

It says quite a bit that trading him got us both Boldirev and Rota, two very good players.  It's a shame he had to go to make it happen...we could have really used him against the Islanders.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

He's a very respectable choice.  I have him around 15th myself.  To your accolades you can add that he was also the team's ironman record holder (around 400 games or so) until Linden showed up.

Yes, I forgot about that.....must be an age thing.

He played 1020 games in his career, more that any other player taken in the 1st round of his draft class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voting Two Pad Stack Kirk McLean.

 

Nominating Hamhuis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels appropriate the two goalies are back to back.

 

Voting McLean

 

Nominating Lever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Vote captain kirk

 

Nominate KB3

Bieksa made the poll.

 

C'mon Goose step your game up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Personally I would put Dennis Kearns over Bieksa as well.

 

Kearns belongs ahead of Bieksa for sure.  I'm not sure how Bieksa has even really differentiated himself from Salo, who hasn't been mentioned once.

 

And there are a number of quality D-men that haven't been and might not be mentioned...  Garth Butcher, Dave Babych, Rick Lanz, Paul Reinhart, Kevin McCarthy, Dana Murzyn, etc.

 

Bieksa's thing that kind of sets him apart a little bit is scoring the goal that sent us to the Final in 2011.  But Greg Adams did that in 1994 and he hasn't come up yet.  And Jim Nill did that in 1982, and I promise nobody but me will mention his name in these threads.

 

And I like Bieksa.  I mean, we almost have the same name even.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gradin

 

Boudrias (held the record for the most assists in a season for over 30 years, the top two years actually until Hank bumped him down the list)

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

voted Edler, nominating Brodeur. Without him, that '80's team doesn't make it out of the first round, much less the Cup Final

Edited by Father Ryan
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

   

14 hours ago, zimmy said:

Gradin

 

Boudrias (held the record for the most assists in a season for over 30 years, the top two years actually until Hank bumped him down the list)

 

As to Boudrias, he was also a member of the very first Canucks team in 1970-71 with Orland.  And was one of the first captains in Canucks history.

 

But a still lesser known fact is that right after his final Canucks season in 1976, he joined the 1976-77 Quebec Nordiques in the WHA and won that league's Stanley Cup that season, on the same team as Richard Brodeur, who would shortly join the Canucks himself.  They beat Bobby Hull and the Winnipeg Jets in the final.

 

So...  Andre Boudrias, Canucks captain, Canucks record holder, Canucks pioneer...and also WHA Champion.  And an interesting link between two Canuck eras.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zimmy said:

Gradin

 

Boudrias (held the record for the most assists in a season for over 30 years, the top two years actually until Hank bumped him down the list)

 

56 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

   

 

As to Boudrias, he was also a member of the very first Canucks team in 1970-71 with Orland.  And was one of the first captains in Canucks history.

 

But a still lesser known fact is that right after his final Canucks season in 1976, he joined the 1976-77 Quebec Nordiques in the WHA and won that league's Stanley Cup that season, on the same team as Richard Brodeur, who would shortly join the Canucks himself.  They beat Bobby Hull and the Winnipeg Jets in the final.

 

So...  Andre Boudrias, Canucks captain, Canucks record holder, Canucks pioneer...and also WHA Champion.  And an interesting link between two Canuck eras.

It looks like Lever will be the first primarily 70s Canuck nominated, by for my money, Boudrias is the man I would want in first.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

 

It looks like Lever will be the first primarily 70s Canuck nominated, by for my money, Boudrias is the man I would want in first.

 

I don't think I have two players on the list more dead even than Lever and Boudrias.

 

Anyway, the way things are going I'm happy whenever anyone from before the West Coast Express gets nominated.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voting McLean, if Luongo is in at 7, it's not fair to have McLean far behind him.

 

Nominating Snepsts, again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

I don't think I have two players on the list more dead even than Lever and Boudrias.

 

Anyway, the way things are going I'm happy whenever anyone from before the West Coast Express gets nominated.

Despite our unique perspectives and energy (age), this poll will never rise to the level of historical accuracy. We just have to accept that.
 

There aren’t enough of us around who remember the seventies let alone lived them! Heck, I hardly trust my own recollections being just a young lad during those formative years. I watched the game but can’t say I was a particularly discerning observer. I went to games at the old Pacific Coliseum but proved a relentless and all consuming homer. Watched every game that came on the TV but how many a week was that? Two maybe?

 

The Canucks of my childhood are indelibly stamped in my mind and it allows me to compare and judge with a breadth and width that many of our younger participants in the CDC can’t appreciate (or maybe they do!). Certain deserving players continue to slide away from our collective memories but that just seems part of the natural order of things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.