The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #10

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #10  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #10 Canuck of All-Time?

• A. Edler
    • T. Bertuzzi
    • R. Kesler
    • A. Burrows
    • B. Morrison
    • M. Ohlund
    • D. Lever
    • K. Bieksa
    • T. Tanti
    • J. Lumme

This poll is closed to new votes

Gradin won this last one, but only edged out Edler by four votes. Lumme dominated the nominations so he was added as a voting option.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

• Vintage 1

I have a string of more modern players to vote for now. First up, the greatest power forward as a Canuck, Todd Bertuzzi (and also my favourite player as a kid).

I'm nominating the Superpest, the late Andre Boudrias.

None of these players would be in my top ten and I have several of them very close to each other.  Today, I'm feeling Burrows, nah screw it Tanti, nah screw it Lever, nah screw it Edler.

Nominating Richard Brodeur.  The only Canuck goalie to ever be named team MVP three times.  Luongo and McLean never accomplished this, and neither did Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Ryan Kesler, Thomas Gradin or any defenseman.  He is one of only five Canucks ever to win the MVP three times, and thus he is also tied for 3rd place in Canucks history (with Stan Smyl and Pavel Bure) for the most team MVP awards.

In fact, if you look at our team history, we have never once in 50 years had a defenseman win the team MVP award, which is part of the reason why we are just outside the top ten before my first defenseman appears on the list.  I think, offhand so don't quote me, the only defensemen that came close at some point were Lidster, Jovanovski, Kearns, Hughes this year and perhaps Dale Tallon or Harold Snepsts.  Ohlund and Edler are definitely Ring of Honour guys, but for longevity, and not because they were ever close to being the best player on the team.

Teams that have had a Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Bobby Orr, Denis Potvin, Al MacInnis, Scott Stevens, Larry Robinson, Chris Chelios, etc. have experienced the difference.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

In fact, if you look at our team history, we have never once in 50 years had a defenseman win the team MVP award, which is part of the reason why we are just outside the top ten before my first defenseman appears on the list.  I think, offhand so don't quote me, the only defensemen that came close at some point were Lidster, Jovanovski, Kearns, Hughes this year and perhaps Dale Tallon or Harold Snepsts.  Ohlund and Edler are definitely Ring of Honour guys, but for longevity, and not because they were ever close to being the best player on the team.

Teams that have had a Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Bobby Orr, Denis Potvin, Al MacInnis, Scott Stevens, Larry Robinson, Chris Chelios, etc. have experienced the difference.

You are correct--we've never had a defenseman win the Cyclone Taylor. I'm not sure on the specifics of the Cyclone Taylor voting, but as far as Norris voting, Jovanovski was the closest we've ever had, finishing 6th in two consecutive years--though of course he didn't play nearly as many games as some others like Lumme, Lidster, Kearns, Ohlund, or Edler. As you say, it's also pretty obvious by voting that many fans agree that we've never had a star defenseman. I don't have Edler until #11 myself and he's the highest defenseman on my list.

I think that's why we're so excited about Hughes potentially being the first superstar defenseman we've ever had.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You are correct--we've never had a defenseman win the Cyclone Taylor. I'm not sure on the specifics of the Cyclone Taylor voting, but as far as Norris voting, Jovanovski was the closest we've ever had, finishing 6th in two consecutive years--though of course he didn't play nearly as many games as some others like Lumme, Lidster, Kearns, Ohlund, or Edler. As you say, it's also pretty obvious by voting that many fans agree that we've never had a star defenseman. I don't have Edler until #11 myself and he's the highest defenseman on my list.

I think that's why we're so excited about Hughes potentially being the first superstar defenseman we've ever had.

Good old Dave Babych was 6th for the Norris one year, but before he joined us.  And yes, I've made no bones about it, Hughes is something special.

• Cheers 1

You wanted the best?  You got the best!  The hottest goalie in the world...

You wanted highlights?  You got highlights.  The full game.  Game 7 of the AVCO Cup Final (the WHA's Stanley Cup) in 1977.  Richard Brodeur and Andre Boudrias vs. Bobby Hull.  Winner takes it all, loser takes the fall.

Edited by Kevin Biestra