The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Art vs Food: the corona virus edition

JM_

So I've seen a number of complaints recently about relief money going to support people in the arts. In order not to over populate the corona thread with a side topic I thought I'd put this here.

To me its obvious that art and design inform almost everything we experience in our lives today. We also need to support the various arts industries so people working in them (and there are a lot) have something to return to.

But there seems to be an idea that there should not be support for this right now (I'm looking at you @Heretic). 

Debate!

Obviously food/medical supplies are more important but we shouldn't be starving the arts the moment a crisis emerges.  Nothing wrong with putting money towards keeping the arts afloat as long as money is spent on food/medical supplies (and it is).  If things get more dire, then sure, relief money to the arts will dwindle.  We are not there yet though.

• Cheers 1

Why is this debate necessary?  There's already enough beauty previously created (previous shows, art pieces, music, etc.) which could already enable people to be reminded of the goodness that has existed and so as to not lose their sanity.    Also highly doubt that food is in a shortage at this time despite peoples' panic.  While art's not "essential" in terms of doctors or farmers being essential in this time, in another sense they do provide an invaluable, if underappreciated, contribution to societal well-being.  No need to jump early to conclusions or stir things up like this.

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

This whole situation is awful, we can all agree on that.

Think we can also agree that support should funnel down from most to least important (see: essentials to non essentials).

I think the argument tho is when are we at that point? I've seen some comments slamming things like how Germany is supporting the arts, the thinking being I suppose that we need to save resources now just in case. The problem with that though is art and design are fundamental things, and we don't want to lose any capacity there either.

It also seems to be a bit politicized, as a lefty righty thing which is unfortunate. 

46 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Why are you looking at me?  All I said was what you said - ventilators are more important.  

Stop looking for things that don't exist.

because you alluded to the idea of ranking the arts as less important than other things, and you're the only one i could remember at the moment to call out (relax, its not personal).

lots of things are less important than ventilators right now. Alberta oil could be argued as being very far down the list e.g. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the argument tho is when are we at that point? I've seen some comments slamming things like how Germany is supporting the arts, the thinking being I suppose that we need to save resources now just in case. The problem with that though is art and design are fundamental things, and we don't want to lose any capacity there either.

It also seems to be a bit politicized, as a lefty righty thing which is unfortunate. 

the germany situation is curious

not sure why they decided to highlight support to one sector of society

they could just have easily taken out the proportion of support

the beer industry is receiving there

and provided a lump sum number showing their special support of beer

or hair salons (which are closed)

they are supporting workers in that industry too

could have hived out a lump sum to represent the "special" focus on hair stylists

would that also elevate their import in society ?

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because you alluded to the idea of ranking the arts as less important than other things, and you're the only one i could remember at the moment to call out (relax, its not personal).

lots of things are less important than ventilators right now. Alberta oil could be argued as being very far down the list e.g. 

That would depend on how much it's being used during the crisis (ie. ambulances, etc). Unfortunately, we're a society that's pretty dependent on it until the time we're not.

Not saying it's number one priority, but certainly higher than art. lol

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Point is, if Trump wanted the money for the Kennedy center - you and others would be all over him.

Can you hear me now?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the germany situation is curious

not sure why they decided to highlight support to one sector of society

they could just have easily taken out the proportion of support

the beer industry is receiving there

and provided a lump sum number showing their special support of beer

or hair salons (which are closed)

they are supporting workers in that industry too

could have hived out a lump sum to represent the "special" focus on hair stylists

would that also elevate their import in society ?

I think it was the news coverage that did that. 

But Germany is also the birthplace of industrial design (look up the Werkbund if you're interested at all how Germany developed this area) so they know how important the arts and design is to modern manufacturing. Its as fundamental as many other disciplines when it comes to creating products. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Heretic said:

Point is, if Trump wanted the money for the Kennedy center - you and others would be all over him.

Can you hear me now?

actually I wouldn't, I judge ideas on their own merit. i'm not a CNN junkie. 

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That would depend on how much it's being used during the crisis (ie. ambulances, etc). Unfortunately, we're a society that's pretty dependent on it until the time we're not.

Not saying it's number one priority, but certainly higher than art. lol

can't eat dil bit tho. 

18 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Why is this debate necessary?  There's already enough beauty previously created (previous shows, art pieces, music, etc.) which could already enable people to be reminded of the goodness that has existed and so as to not lose their sanity.    Also highly doubt that food is in a shortage at this time despite peoples' panic.  While art's not "essential" in terms of doctors or farmers being essential in this time, in another sense they do provide an invaluable, if underappreciated, contribution to societal well-being.  No need to jump early to conclusions or stir things up like this.

I'm just addressing some of the comments I've seen on money going to support people in the arts areas. And I'm bored. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think it was the news coverage that did that. 

But Germany is also the birthplace of industrial design (look up the Werkbund if you're interested at all how Germany developed this area) so they know how important the arts and design is to modern manufacturing. Its as fundamental as many other disciplines when it comes to creating products. 

my heritage has strong roots in that country

they have an amazing history of industrial and other technological advancements

quality has long been a signature of products from that country

though a bit off topic of this thread

i am truly interested in how germany

has such a low mortality and critical cases in this virus crisis

despite showing a large number of confirmed cases

could just be where they might be on the trajectory of the disease

but they seem to be doing remarkably better then all other european countries comparatively

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Then why was oil brought up in the first place? Is it art then?

Here's a twist: what about edible art?

didn't someone recently just pay $100,000 for a banana duct taped to a wall? 

Just now, coastal.view said:

my heritage has strong roots in that country

they have an amazing history of industrial and other technological advancements

quality has long been a signature of products from that country

though a bit off topic of this thread

i am truly interested in how germany

has such a low mortality and critical cases in this virus crisis

despite showing a large number of confirmed cases

could just be where they might be on the trajectory of the disease

but they seem to be doing remarkably better then all other european countries comparatively

I'd guess at there being a strong cultural sense of compliance and also an appeal to reason to follow the proper procedures.