The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Art vs Food: the corona virus edition

JM_

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd guess at there being a strong cultural sense of compliance and also an appeal to reason to follow the proper procedures. 

well holland (the netherlands) are right next door

and culturally is not really significantly different

but they are remarkably different during this crisis

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So I've seen a number of complaints recently about relief money going to support people in the arts. In order not to over populate the corona thread with a side topic I thought I'd put this here.

To me its obvious that art and design inform almost everything we experience in our lives today. We also need to support the various arts industries so people working in them (and there are a lot) have something to return to.

But there seems to be an idea that there should not be support for this right now (I'm looking at you @Heretic). 

Debate!

I want more support for my new found drinking problem. 

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well video gaming is all an all time high, so much of the world right now is living in art. Just saying....

Then the industry must be doing well. Seems like the type of job that lots can be done remotely.

I don't think there is any discrimination in funding to help businesses currently, at least in Canada for the most significant 75% wage subsidy bit, so I am a bit confused if this thread is just in hypothetical.

If a business can show a 30% drop in revenue due to the pandemic then 3/4 of their payroll is covered.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/large-business-non-profits-charities-eligible-for-wage-subsidy-trudeau-says/ar-BB11V8p1?ocid=spartanntp 

The arts should be supported in the same way any business or employee is being supported during this crisis.

I see no reason artists shouldn't receive the $2000/mo every other citizen who's dealing with the loss of opportunity to earn a living is receiving through the CERB program.

Galleries, conservatories, museums etc should not be forced to face bankruptcy and close their doors forever because some people don't value their contribution to society as much as a ma and pa pet store, for example.

At the same time, there's absolutely no reason the arts should receive funding exceeding that of the regular joe, or ma and pa shop while we cope.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Then the industry must be doing well. Seems like the type of job that lots can be done remotely.

I don't think there is any discrimination in funding to help businesses currently, at least in Canada for the most significant 75% wage subsidy bit, so I am a bit confused if this thread is just in hypothetical.

If a business can show a 30% drop in revenue due to the pandemic then 3/4 of their payroll is covered.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/large-business-non-profits-charities-eligible-for-wage-subsidy-trudeau-says/ar-BB11V8p1?ocid=spartanntp 

The problem I see with transitioning to working remotely is just that: there's a transition. The other thing there is that the games that likely would be doing well are recent games that have come out or generally already popular games. Any game in development now likely won't see this increase in sales as (hopefully) the virus is gone by then.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

The arts should be supported in the same way any business or employee is being supported during this crisis.

I see no reason artists shouldn't receive the $2000/mo every other citizen who's dealing with the loss of opportunity to earn a living is receiving through the CERB program.

Galleries, conservatories, museums etc should not be forced to face bankruptcy and close their doors forever because some people don't value their contribution to society as much as a ma and pa pet store, for example.

At the same time, there's absolutely no reason the arts should receive funding exceeding that of the regular joe, or ma and pa shop while we cope.

well said Lucky. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Well video gaming is all an all time high, so much of the world right now is living in art. Just saying....

Alberta oil is now under $4 per barrel :wacko: Like less than a fricking hamburger. (https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/oilsands-producers-in-the-red-as-blended-bitumen-price-dips-below-4-per-barrel-1.4874401)

What I'd like to see is a whack of money go to AB and SK and NL to help them diversify. Maybe instead of the Canadian government funding another pipeline, put 4 or 5 billion in to a new generic pharmaceutical plant in in Calgary instead, so that we at least aren't reliant on supply from China in a disaster. But @Ryan Strome would have to agree to drop #wexit otherwise its going to Quebec :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Alberta oil is now under $4 per barrel :wacko: Like less than a fricking hamburger. (https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/oilsands-producers-in-the-red-as-blended-bitumen-price-dips-below-4-per-barrel-1.4874401)

What I'd like to see is a whack of money go to AB and SK and NL to help them diversify. Maybe instead of the Canadian government funding another pipeline, put 4 or 5 billion in to a new generic pharmaceutical plant in in Calgary instead, so that we at least aren't reliant on supply from China in a disaster. But @Ryan Strome would have to agree to drop #wexit otherwise its going to Quebec :ph34r:

lol I'm honestly staying out of the whole pipeline discussions for the most part as I see both sides. (It also doesn't help that in Prince George (pro pipeline with a lot of people) while going to UNBC (anti pipeline with a lot of people)) <(((((also a lot of brackets.... need more brackets))))))>

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Our gdp will contract likely at least 7% after all this we can't even afford a referendum. Just to clarify that is tar sands not all oil. But just so you know, Suncor, Meg, Cenovus, athabasca have contractual agreements to ship 25-50 thousand barrels of oil(depending on the company) to the US where pipeline costs are 7-9 dollars a barrel so companies are paying roughly 5 dollars a barrel to ship oil. This loss will be in the 10s of billions of dollars depending on the length this goes on. Shutting in is a real possibility and will have catastrophic effects on Alberta and Canada. I already know the 2021 provincial budget will have a pst, msp and likely a 15 billion dollar deficit at least. 

If shutting in happens thousands of jobs will be lost and Alberta will no longer give equalization and will in fact become a recipient thus putting even more pressure on the federal government. 

Edit, just wanted to add heavy Fort McMurray is the life line of Alberta.

Edited by Ryan Strome

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Our gdp will contract likely at least 7% after all this we can't even afford a referendum. Just to clarify that is tar sands not all oil. But just so you know, Suncor, Meg, Cenovus, athabasca have contractual agreements to ship 25-50 thousand barrels of oil(depending on the company) to the US where pipeline costs are 7-9 dollars a barrel so companies are paying roughly 5 dollars a barrel to ship oil. This loss will be in the 10s of billions of dollars depending on the length this goes on. Shutting in is a real possibility and will have catastrophic effects on Alberta and Canada. I already know the 2021 provincial budget will have a pst, msp and likely a 15 billion dollar deficit at least. 

If shutting in happens thousands of jobs will be lost and Alberta will no longer give equalization and will in fact become a recipient thus putting even more pressure on the federal government. 

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. 

But this is also why I'd like to see a whack of money dropped into AB into some other industries like generic drug manufacturing. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. 

But this is also why I'd like to see a whack of money dropped into AB into some other industries like generic drug manufacturing. 

The oil is the money maker, Jim. Right now JT has to tell Quebec FU energy east is getting done. 20$ isn't much but at least we wouldn't be paying to ship our resources. Also it would create jobs. Like Kenney said our energy industry is on life support and if it dies Ottawa is in big trouble, it's already said even before this the liberal government will run a 100 billion dollar deficit at least. I suspect gst to be bumped up to at least 7% in the next budget.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The oil is the money maker, Jim. Right now JT has to tell Quebec FU energy east is getting done. 20$ isn't much but at least we wouldn't be paying to ship our resources. Also it would create jobs. Like Kenney said our energy industry is on life support and if it dies Ottawa is in big trouble, it's already said even before this the liberal government will run a 100 billion dollar deficit at least. I suspect gst to be bumped up to at least 7% in the next budget.

you don't see pharma as a money maker :blink: ? you can do more than one thing RS.