The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

24 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

image.thumb.png.f4e18d1513e8ef18729bc038e5adcaaa.png

Ya, this is the whole article... again by a media member with access and also quoting media members outside the market who had also heard the same things.  

Weisbrod was the guy that lots of folks in the NHL had bad experiences with, there have been reports of him creating conflict in his other organizations before here.   Benning and Weisbrod are close.

Nothing can change the fact that our one department that is overperforming in the organization is being dismantled and tinkered with for no discernable reason.  

https://theathletic.co.uk/564653/2018/10/04/the-athletties-the-alien-touch-the-speech-the-shotgun-and-that-linden-thing/

If Vcr can look to one area of success over the last few years it's been the amateur draft. Surely this is the time when Aquilini steps up and tells Benning and Brackett to act like adults and do what's right for the club rather than their own childish wishes. I doubt Brackett has any authority to make chnages but Benning does, so Mr Aquilini this is your time to flex your authority. If that means Weisbrod is taken out of the picture so be it. The two primary scouts are Brackett and Benning, not Weisbrod

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

If Vcr can look to one area of success over the last few years it's been the amateur draft. Surely this is the time when Aquilini steps up and tells Benning and Brackett to act like adults and do what's right for the club rather than their own childish wishes. I doubt Brackett has any authority to make chnages but Benning does, so Mr Aquilini this is your time to flex your authority. If that means Weisbrod is taken out of the picture so be it. The two primary scouts are Brackett and Benning, not Weisbrod

bracket just wants to be head of scouting. he does not want a raise or a promotion but want to do stuff that he was doing when Linden here. Only thing getting in the way is Benning ego and his desire  to help his friend get more power

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

All I see is a GM and AGM who want to be on the heavier side of neutral involvement in scouting and drafting. As is their prerogative as they're in charge and assuming they have it approved by their boss as to how the team will be run.

By all means Brackett may want to be in an organization where he has more of a leadership role and more autonomy there, as is HIS prerogative with his contract up.

Neither of those things equate to damning evidence of anything or spell certain doom for our drafting of the team is a whole. It's a bunch of melodramatic fiction being sold to the gullible by a bunch of snake oil peddlers with their own self interest in clicks/listeners and little else.

I don't for a moment believe that this is melodramatic nonsense, the same story is being sauced by too many individual parties. The FACT is we have been successful with the amateur draft for a number of year. I don't care who's on top you simply do not start to dissemble that team, it's worked, so, "as you were" and get back to it. Take your silly spats over power and glory that need  an arbitrator  and that person is Aquilini. He pays the wages he's the guy in charge of these infants. Sorry to say the only way this will be resolved as we stand is Brackett leaves and our amateur scouting goes down the tube and who ever Brackett reservices with ( and he will ) suddenly become very good. That's a heck or a price to pay :mad:

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, getting Pearson for Gudbranson, trading for Miller, getting Toffoli, signing Myers...  Clearly we're F'd :rolleyes:

must you be so condesending? 

your tough guy routine reminds me of Kev

as for your 4 examples,

you have pick the 2 best deals of Jim's tenur and 2 maybes that might turn into the next LE contract and a second for 10 games.

they alll might work out, or half could easily go south.

If our drating dries up, like it has so many times before, more $6mil no. 5 dd-men aren't going to help

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I don't for a moment believe that this is melodramatic nonsense, the same story is being sauced by too many individual parties. The FACT is we have been successful with the amateur draft for a number of year. I don't care who's on top you simply do not start to dissemble that team, it's worked, so, "as you were" and get back to it. Take your silly spats over power and glory that need  an arbitrator  and that person is Aquilini. He pays the wages he's the guy in charge of these infants. Sorry to say the only way this will be resolved as we stand is Brackett leaves and our amateur scouting goes down the tube and who ever Brackett reservices with ( and he will ) suddenly become very good. That's a heck or a price to pay :mad:

Not how I see it at all. As I said earlier these 'multiple sources' are just sourcing themselves. It's our media's usual M.O. 

And I don't think there's any power/glory spats at all. Brackett likely wants to be head scout for a team that offers more autonomy with a GM with less of a scouting background and hence involvement. This doesn't have to be some drama queen story. People move in to better fits and opportunities in all manner of work. This is no different... But that doesn't drive clicks.

58 minutes ago, lmm said:

must you be so condesending? 

your tough guy routine reminds me of Kev

as for your 4 examples,

you have pick the 2 best deals of Jim's tenur and 2 maybes that might turn into the next LE contract and a second for 10 games.

they alll might work out, or half could easily go south.

If our drating dries up, like it has so many times before, more $6mil no. 5 dd-men aren't going to help

Yes.

I was commenting on a post that specifically stated the team has basically gone south since Linden left and has/will be increasingly run in to the ground. By far most of the supposed 'bad' moves happened while Linden was here. Make of that what you will.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I was commenting on a post that specifically stated the team has basically gone south since Linden left and has/will be increasingly run in to the ground. By far most of the supposed 'bad' moves happened while Linden was here. Make of that what you will.

This is what I've been highlighting for a while now. JB is the GM, and as soon as he got the green light for his rebuild he put a plan in place and followed through. If people (e.g. Linden, Brackett) ddidnt or don't like it, there's the door I say this because look at the turnaround since JB got the green light. Night and day. 

Night and day.

Night and day.

Honesty, all this garbage talk against Benning is coming from people who have disliked him basically since the beginning. Egos involved? Sure, from those who can't admit they were wrong about him. 

Night and day.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

All I see is a GM and AGM who want to be on the heavier side of neutral involvement in scouting and drafting. As is their prerogative as they're in charge and assuming they have it approved by their boss as to how the team will be run.

By all means Brackett may want to be in an organization where he has more of a leadership role and more autonomy there, as is HIS prerogative with his contract up.

Neither of those things equate to damning evidence of anything or spell certain doom for our drafting of the team is a whole. It's a bunch of melodramatic fiction being sold to the gullible by a bunch of snake oil peddlers with their own self interest in clicks/listeners and little else.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

You both know that the other one might be right?

It is possible that aGENT is correct and that the rest of us showing concern are being foolish.

It seems that aGENT wear their ROSE COLOURED GLASS' so tight to their head that they can't made a reasoned response without scathing condesention.

Fred might also be right, maybe we asscend to the great heights of near playoffs then tumble to the basement again and Brackett is the next big thing.

There is certainly enough history within the organisation to make such a scenerio a reasoned possiblity.

Past regimes has erred on Larionov, Jagr, Messier (twice) Bure, Gretzky, Laforge, MacIlhargy (x3), Pat White, and Jason Herter.

Sometimes trades have made mistakes not so bad, Like aGENT says using Pearson as an example, Gillis turned Pat white into Erhoff, but that does not make Pat White a good pick.

Sure Benning has made some good picks, as have regimes before him. The problem is that those regimes before have started in a good direction and them imploded for no good reason.  Trouble with Linden followed by trouble with Brackett suggests that this might be more than mellodrama. It might be the past coming back to haunt us again.

Maybe things all work out, maybe this is the tipping point of the asyss.

maybe there is a point in the middle that will work out, or not.

2 final points

one is an obervation, the othert a question.

1. It seems this team needs a president, Benning does not seem to want more responsibility, he seems to want less. Maybe he has the next great operations format, but there does seem to be a void at the mid-top of management.

2. does anyone have info for or against Chris Gear?

This thread could be renamed the Brackett vs Gear thread witha side order of Wiesbrod.

It seems many believe Brackett is our guy and Gear is a nobody, and thern there is the other side who believe a "Capologist" is the missing link and that Brackett will not be missed because we have that angle covered.

But what about Chris Gear? I have read his bio, but does anybody have anything else to say about him?

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so again here you're taking a little bit of info - that Benning said he wants to be more involved in scouting and you're spinning it into a yarn about losing trust, etc. etc.

Its good that Gear has his full attention on contracts. Its good that Benning will have his own eyes on potential players more. Its good what Brackett does too.

You seem to forget that JD was offered a new contract, so clearly Benning likes what he does. 

Contracts are one thing that Benning had been criticized for (and rightly so imo).  I think that having Gear to work on contracts is a good thing and the last while, the contracts have looked much better.

Is Bennings strength amateur scouting?  Of course, wouldn't it be natural for him to take a larger role here?  Damn right.  And a smaller role with something he is not so good at.

My take is that Benning has had some good advice on how to build the front office and is acting on it.  Brackett unfortunately, is strong on scouting too obviously but if Benning is structuring the front office the way he is (and should) then Brackett is on the outside looking in.  It's not necessarily personal, it's business.

• Cheers 4

23 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

This is what I've been highlighting for a while now. JB is the GM, and as soon as he got the green light for his rebuild he put a plan in place and followed through. If people (e.g. Linden, Brackett) ddidnt or don't like it, there's the door I say this because look at the turnaround since JB got the green light. Night and day. 

Night and day.

Night and day.

Honesty, all this garbage talk against Benning is coming from people who have disliked him basically since the beginning. Egos involved? Sure, from those who can't admit they were wrong about him. 

Night and day.

Night and day you say?

Well we have transitioned away from the worst coach we have seen in the last 20 years. Was Willie Trevor's guy? 

He has hit on 2 of the best draft picks ever, but there is no concensus that they were jim's picks or Judd's or Wiesbrod's or Lingren's of Delorme's.

But somehow we picked those guys, and that was good. And Trevor was around when Petey was picked

What is really being debated is whether it is causation or coincidence... by Benning, by Brackett, by Wiesbrod

or were we just lucky those guys fell to us? Like PL Dubois did not

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

Night and day you say?

Well we have transitioned away from the worst coach we have seen in the last 20 years. Was Willie Trevor's guy? 

He has hit on 2 of the best draft picks ever, but there is no concensus that they were jim's picks or Judd's or Wiesbrod's or Lingren's of Delorme's.

But somehow we picked those guys, and that was good. And Trevor was around when Petey was picked

What is really being debated is whether it is causation or coincidence... by Benning, by Brackett, by Wiesbrod

or were we just lucky those guys fell to us? Like PL Dubois did not

What isn't arguable is that Benning is the GM who runs the franchise. He hires and fires and sets the culture; he tells scouts what to look for and expects them to do so; and, he will live and die with our success. We are succeeding, and if there is any dissonance then they can leave or expect to be let go ala Linden. 

• Cheers 1