The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Would anyone fire both Benning and Weisbrod just to keep Brackett and give him AGM and then find a new GM. Just wondering

Weisbrod gone, Brackett promoted to AGM. Everything I have read about Weisbrod makes him seem like a used car salesman. Linden's high praise for Brackett tells me he was crucial to our success at the draft table. What exactly is Weisbrod's role? If it has anything to do with pro-scouting then he should turfed immediately. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I get a kick out of people who think the success at the draft table is because of Brackett.  He's obvioulsy good at his job, but Benning is clearly the guy calling the shots

Only time will tell if we see regression at the 2021 draft (assuming Judd is gone)

Nobody knows the extent of anyone's role on the draft floor until we see what how drafting goes over the next 2 or 3 years. Assuming JB is still here. Which I hope he is. That said, if the choice is between Weisbrod and Brackett I'm on #TeamBrackett. Weisbrod always had a greasy look to him that I never liked.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Huggy Bear 1

I've called for the firing of Weisbrod for years.

Weisbrod has destroyed several franchises in both the NHL and NBA. (Don't forget that Weisbrod was the GM of the Orlando Magic and traded an in his prime Tracy McGrady for scraps and received legit death threats over it).

Brackett is the reason we've done so well with the NCAA over the last several years. He's very well connected in that world. Losing him would likely mean we lose that strong connection, among other things. Brackett also was really instrumental in getting Podkolzin, Pettersson, Hughes, Gaudette, Madden, among others.

If Brackett does not get retained (which looks to be the case), I suspect he'll end up being an AGM somewhere on the East Coast. My bet is he becomes AGM in New Jersey or Detroit and heads the scouting department of one of those teams... those teams have lots of picks in the next few years.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Your reading comprehension is lacking. He's talking about the culture of the team, not the forums. 

I suppose you could read it that way, but at very least it's ambiguous you could take it either way

3 hours ago, Maddogy said:

- Knowing one or a few instances that someone was correct with their draft opinion does not mean that they are necessarily good at drafting. The information that we need to know is how many times they were wrong with their draft input. In this respect only insiders know. J.B. would have insider info as to how many times scouts missed on their draft choices and this is something fans are not privy to. A scout could have been lucky suggesting Pettersson to management for the 5th overall pick and but his track record overall could be mediocre. 

- What worries me about this Judd Bracket situation is not that he is leaving but the potential indication that there is something wrong with the way J.B. leads this organization. The responsibility to hold J.B. accountable resides with the owners.

DeLorme is credited from being adamant about EP. His track record as head scout is atrocious though.

Come to think about it........there may be some truth on what JD Burke is reporting. 

Ever since Benning took the reigns, the Canucks have put out a mic’s up Benning on draft day. It isn’t a coincidence, that there isn’t one last year, especially when the organization is hosting the event.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I suppose you could read it that way, but at very least it's ambiguous you could take it either way

If you'd like me to confirm, your reading comprehension is, in fact, lacking. There was no ambiguity at all.

Aside from that, I'll leave this here for people to see that Benning has had a vision for a long time and expects his team to help create it. Brackett has done a great job doing his part, but to think that only he can look for guys that JB wants to fit our winning culture is naive. And if Benning wants to be more hands on (which likely just means he wants to have scouts identify players and then he sees them for himself more often, then I say heck yeah, because Benning is a better scout than Brackett and most in the league, arguably). 

If Brackett can't handle a little oversight and teamwork with the GM then see ya later. I hope he does well elsewhere and takes our winning culture with him, because then Benning wil be vindicated even more than he already is; he did once mention that he would be happy for scouts moving on to other teams and moving up because then it says that we're doing something right. 

Personally, I feel like Brackett made an ill-timed and misguided power move and it's biting him in the butt, and Benning is rightfully so sticking to his guns, which he's also done with players and their contracts as well. We want a cup, and we'll only get that with total buy-in from everyone.

IMG_20200507_173644.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Man this is going to be such a mistake . This interview I heard by sat left me feeling terrible .

benning ego his getting in they, everything has gone of the tracks since Linden left. The 3 people responsible  for Petey are going to be gone

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Man this is going to be such a mistake . This interview I heard by sat left me feeling terrible .

No way Benning is going to give the scouting department completely over to Brackett that’s not how he rolls. Benning is a very good evaluator of talent as well, people are acting like Brackett was already making all the calls which isn’t true.

Yes it would suck to lose another good judge of talent from the organization, but the plus is Benning plans to be more involved in scouting and less involved in the day to day which is a good thing.

Either way the core is almost set. Just need to draft another stud D man and then it’s really just about retaining the core and building around them with our current prospects and trades.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I’ve loved our drafting recently and hope we keep the whole group together... Brackett included. He’s obviously good at his job.

that said, I’ve often thought the “cult of Judd” was the result of the never-Bennings trying to justify our luck at the draft table despite crapping all over upper management.  

Will be pretty darn interesting if Brackett does walk... but I’d much rather he stay, since he’s good at what he does and to cancel the inevitable tantrum his departure would signal.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1