The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

14 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Bummer to lose Judd he’s a huge part of the quick turn around. Some underestimate his importance I think benning is one of them. 

But Benning offered him an extension. Maybe you could say that if that wasn't on the table. 

22 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Judd Brackett

I've been watching and covering the Canucks for many many years, I have never seen a scout like Judd Brackett get coverage like he has this season.

Vancouver has seen many big name GM’s, coaches and players fired and traded. A scout though? No scout has ever received this kind of attention in this market.

Social media plays a big part in how this has played out. Can you name the top scout in Edmonton, Calgary or Montreal?

You sure can in Vancouver.

An executive in the NHL : “Can not believe the press Brackett gets in Vancouver. You do not see this in other markets.”

You certainly do not.

Like any other scout, Brackett has made good picks and bad picks.

He has benefited from drafting very high the last few years and having high picks in the 30-40 range as well. Based on where he has been picking, he should have a good success rate. 

An NHL scout : “Despite picking high Judd has outperformed other head scouts who are also on rebuilding teams in my eyes.”

There are some in the hockey world though, who are not impressed with the way Brackett is leaking his story to the press. 

I am sure other teams are noticing this as well.

By the same token, if you hire a person to run a draft, let him run the draft.

The narrative that Benning and his sidekick John Weisbrod want more control at the draft is not going away.

This is not a good look on the Canucks. I can not remember a story like this when Pat Quinn, Brian Burke, Dave Nonis or Mike Gillis ran the team.

Quinn always trusted his head scout Mike Penny. Clearly that trust doesn't exist between Benning and Brackett.

It is very unlikely that the two sides will kiss and make up. In fact, some are beginning to think that Brackett won't make it to the NHL draft. However this ends up, there will be plenty of blame to go around on both sides.

The Canucks better have a good plan B if they let Brackett go because this story is not going away anytime soon.

I can't tell who wrote this.  You?  Somebody? An insider?  Many vague quotes with no substantiated comments.  A story line without any actual facts is false news.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I can't tell who wrote this.  You?  Somebody? An insider?  Many vague quotes with no substantiated comments.  A story line without any actual facts is false news.

Never mind that half of it is against his own narrative :lol:

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But Benning offered him an extension. Maybe you could say that if that wasn't on the table. 

I don’t know what the offer was, do you? 
Just because he made an offer doesn’t mean he recognized the importance of a key part of build. 
So yes they made him an offer he could obviously and Easily refuse huh. 
“but there was no deal” excuse persist. 
Sure Doesn’t sound like a negotiation. 
judd might have just wanted to leave here to, I don’t feel like working for FA or benning is particularly rewarding hence why good people seem to keep  leaving. 

• Huggy Bear 1

45 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

I don’t know what the offer was, do you? 
Just because he made an offer doesn’t mean he recognized the importance of a key part of build. 
So yes they made him an offer he could obviously and Easily refuse huh. 
“but there was no deal” excuse persist. 
Sure Doesn’t sound like a negotiation. 
judd might have just wanted to leave here to, I don’t feel like working for FA or benning is particularly rewarding hence why good people seem to keep  leaving. 

What 'good people'? Where this mass exodus of good people leaving? What are their names

They've actually been adding and retaining quite a few 'good people' the last couple years.

Nevermind that this also ignores that good people leave good organizations every day for a large variety of reasons.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2020 at 2:26 PM, Squamfan said:

Judd Brackett

I've been watching and covering the Canucks for many many years, I have never seen a scout like Judd Brackett get coverage like he has this season.

Vancouver has seen many big name GM’s, coaches and players fired and traded. A scout though? No scout has ever received this kind of attention in this market.

Social media plays a big part in how this has played out. Can you name the top scout in Edmonton, Calgary or Montreal?

You sure can in Vancouver.

An executive in the NHL : “Can not believe the press Brackett gets in Vancouver. You do not see this in other markets.”

You certainly do not.

Like any other scout, Brackett has made good picks and bad picks.

He has benefited from drafting very high the last few years and having high picks in the 30-40 range as well. Based on where he has been picking, he should have a good success rate. 

An NHL scout : “Despite picking high Judd has outperformed other head scouts who are also on rebuilding teams in my eyes.”

There are some in the hockey world though, who are not impressed with the way Brackett is leaking his story to the press. 

I am sure other teams are noticing this as well.

The narrative that Benning and his sidekick John Weisbrod want more control at the draft is not going away.

This is not a good look on the Canucks. I can not remember a story like this when Pat Quinn, Brian Burke, Dave Nonis or Mike Gillis ran the team.

Quinn always trusted his head scout Mike Penny. Clearly that trust doesn't exist between Benning and Brackett.

It is very unlikely that the two sides will kiss and make up. In fact, some are beginning to think that Brackett won't make it to the NHL draft. However this ends up, there will be plenty of blame to go around on both sides.

The Canucks better have a good plan B if they let Brackett go because this story is not going away anytime soon.

This smacks of more insider information that goes nowhere. Lemme guess? Dhaliwal?

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This smacks of more insider information that goes nowhere. Lemme guess? Dhaliwal?

I presume you're from the Trump school of thought. All media is fake news.

I assume you note this comment was an actual quote :)

I wish there was some thing I could do with the Font size 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It's not the size of the font but how you use the font that counts...Maybe?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

What 'good people'? Where this mass exodus of good people leaving? What are their names

They've actually been adding and retaining quite a few 'good people' the last couple years.

Nevermind that this also ignores that good people leave good organizations every day for a large variety of reasons.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Nah. Just the bs you’re posting. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

according to multiple tweets in this thread it was a 2 year deal, same salary, that apparently isn't the issue from Brackett's side.

you're assuming a boat load there that has nothing to back it up. 

What "good people" seem to be leaving thats unusual for any organization? Benning left Boston ffs. 

Its been said over and over and over and.....

Think its fair to say, you’re wasting you time.... haters will be haters

good people progress and ascend the food chain where they are and if they cannot ascend where they are they go somewhere where they can grow. Judd is a New England guy, its not like he is here for the mountains and water- he travels all year. And who wants to be a director of amateur scouting their whole career in a stifling environment nad JB is a scout ffs- so its not hard to see the the issue

obvious picks by picker:

OJ- JB and TL were gushing over this kid

Petey- a well publicized delorme pick and kudos to JBen for going with it, because I ve seen Delorme's fair share of crap over the years

Hughes-JB was creaning himself over this

Gaudette- Brackett pick

Boeser- who knows? maybe Brackett- JB said if we was gone, they were trading down- I do recall a lot of talk about local kid Jansen Harkins and I remember JB scouted him heavily and when asked by the province about him, he did not speak glowingly of Jansen, essentially said the kid was OK. Konecny would be an interesting altenative.

Madden- Brackett

Lockwood- Brackett

Podz- who knows? JB said if he was gone they would trade down

Hogz- Benning was gushing over the kid, said they had him ranked in the late first round... the Debincat that did not get away

Virtanen- a JBen pick most likely, jury still out imo- ehlers is the guy in that range who is better, I dont love willie nylander. 

Woo?- who knows? that Romanov kid who went to MTL looking mighty more enticing...

Lets be honest- life is results driven and it doesnt really matter how you get them, if Brackett was sooooo goood and JB sucked at drafting then Bracket would be happy here bc JB would keep him. 

Here is a possibility many are not considering.....

Maybe JBen has deferred to Bracket on several picks and not liked the result...and Jben had other guys he would have preferred to select

Our best draft so far ? 2014, JBens first draft here- tryamkin- a Jben pick, great value in third round and good for JB for picking this guy

Who ever were the pro-scouts involved in the Miller and Toffoli trades- would love to know who they are. Also the Pearson for Guddy trade- wow, a highly underrated trade, Green called Pearson "just a real good hockey player." I do not think anyone said that about Guddy when he was here...

i think thiungs are shapping up nicely for the nucks. I wouldnt mind a Boeser + Stecher + Woo + Mcdonaugh for Dumba and Greenway trade

dump sutter, buyout ericksson

miller Petey Toff

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Russel Gaudette Greenway

Macewan Beagle Motte/Lind/Jasek

Edler Dumba

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Tanev

Benn

waiting in the wings: Podz, Hogz... nice

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Does anyone think Brackett is coming back? I don't, where there is smoke there is fire and someone who has taken all this time and not signed is not coming back. Too bad it was a good gig while it lasted but times up. 

Has anyone said he is leaving?

Tons have speculated he would leave. But I do not believe he has resigned, or been relieved. 

So he is still working?

• Cheers 2

On 5/9/2020 at 7:26 AM, Squamfan said:

I am sure other teams are noticing this as well

Never mind Weisbrod for a moment,

Benning is the GM. Brackett the head scout. As GM, Benning deploys Brackett & takes on board his information, opinion, work. Also set the framework by which Brackett & his team work. It is still Benning's responsibility to facilitate how decisions are made. Make it himself, even in spite of Brackett's input. Or let Brackett decide, the team as a whole? Its still Benning's decision, responsibility regardless.

Therefore the underscored means nothing.

32 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Has anyone said he is leaving?

Tons have speculated he would leave. But I do not believe he has resigned, or been relieved. 

So he is still working?

I would assume as he is still under contract. But i think the contract is done in june isn't it?

15 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I would assume as he is still under contract. But i think the contract is done in june isn't it?

In the world of management & scouting? There are exceptions. But most are allowed to interview. Released from their contracts for better opportunities. Nobody wants to stand in the way.

I doubt it would be any different if a guy wanted to resign. Get someone new in to be a willing part of the team. Save wasted salary.

If Brackett was truly upset? I doubt he would still be here.

And if he was not still valued, equally he would have been fired. Even if they had to payout a contract.