The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

I got a lot of heat saying this back when just Gear was promoted and Benning also threw a little shade at Brackett publicly by making two statements. “Gear’s promotion allows myself and Weisbrod to take a bigger role in scouting”, and   “We promoted him (Brackett) from a part-time scout to full-time.  We have offered him a contract, and will see what happens.

It contrasted a lot with what he said about Gear and instead of the stock public answer of “Judd is a really talented and valuable member of our team, and we are working towards getting a contract done”... he suggested that a take it or leave it contract offer was on the table, while putting him in his place with the reminder he was recently only a part-time guy.

At the same time we were getting reports from local media that Brackett was a Linden guy and wanted assurances of how much day he would have in the scouting department.

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Maybe a black eye is the wrong turn of phrase. When JB promoted Chris Gear and no promotion for Brackett It struck me that he was toast. We don't know how much the drafting has been influenced by Brackett versus Benning but I think his input is surely important. Maybe it will be a big loss is better than a black eye. Every time I heard Brackett speak he just made sense. Amateur scouting has improved so much since Brackett was given the role of head of amateur scouting. Scouts like Brackett are not exactly in abundance. Earlier Gillis has said his vision of being GM was leaning towards departmentalizing the GM role and that would be the career opportunity Brackett is looking for

What does Gear getting a promotion have to do with Bracket not getting one?  Two completely different departments....

24 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

What does Gear getting a promotion have to do with Bracket not getting one?  Two completely different departments....

You haven’t worked in an office before?

Gear’s role hasn’t changed, they just promoted him.  They chose NOT to promote Brackett.  There is no limit on number of AGMs they can have.  It absolutely shows who is valued and on the way up.

They are part of a small organization and Brackett was not chosen to be part of the senior management team.

There is also the added statement that Benning made at the time about it being done to allow him and Weisbrod to get out and be more involved in scouting.

• Like 1

Just fire Weisbrod. He gets too much credit for the Hughes pick, simply because he was a family friend to the Hughes’. 

As a great Irish man once said. “I had no idea what he did around here.”.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I got a lot of heat saying this back when just Gear was promoted and Benning also threw a little shade at Brackett publicly by making two statements. “Gear’s promotion allows myself and Weisbrod to take a bigger role in scouting”, and   “We promoted him (Brackett) from a part-time scout to full-time.  We have offered him a contract, and will see what happens.

It contrasted a lot with what he said about Gear and instead of the stock public answer of “Judd is a really talented and valuable member of our team, and we are working towards getting a contract done”... he suggested that a take it or leave it contract offer was on the table, while putting him in his place with the reminder he was recently only a part-time guy.

At the same time we were getting reports from local media that Brackett was a Linden guy and wanted assurances of how much day he would have in the scouting department.

It does sound like Brackett is on the outs.

I have never heard of Chris Gear before, but he sounds like a business/money guy

With all the bad contracts Jim has signed it seems like  a good idea, but Gear was here the whole time.

What I find interesting/concerning is that some fans have suggested Benning should go back to scouting, and that seems the direction he wants to go. that is the interesting part.

What is concerning is that Brackett seems like the logical person to take up the GM slack, but he is on the outs.

I don't know anything about Chris Gear, maybe he will make a good GM and make good picks and trades, it does not seem to be where his expertice lies.

Its almost like this team is running with a vacuum at the top. Or more specifically a vacuum between the Aqualinis and senior management.

Look at the top of the food chain

3 Aqualinnis at Chairman and Alt Govs

then Benning at GM

then CEO, AGM, AGM/Chief Legal(Gear), then Smyl as Senior advisor

then on row 3

Michael Doyle President,hopitality/live entertainment...  <does that seem like an after thought? 

I am not asking this rhetorically, does anyone know what Michael Doyle has done to rank President?

So yes, kind of a funny structure they are using, with a gap a Pres/Vice Pres and a GM leaning toward Scout.

13 hours ago, Provost said:

You haven’t worked in an office before?

Gear’s role hasn’t changed, they just promoted him.  They chose NOT to promote Brackett.  There is no limit on number of AGMs they can have.  It absolutely shows who is valued and on the way up.

They are part of a small organization and Brackett was not chosen to be part of the senior management team.

There is also the added statement that Benning made at the time about it being done to allow him and Weisbrod to get out and be more involved in scouting.

That's fair.... maybe they don't see Brackett as having had as much impact as the fan base thinks he has or conversely maybe the 'value' came in the contract offer rather than the position as we don't know what the offer is/was.  

16 hours ago, Provost said:

Brackett was a Linden guy the same as Cloutier was, and look at what happened to Marky once Benning got rid of DC and signed Clarke. And, on that note, look at the team since Linden left.  

It sure does sound like Brackett might have a sense of entitlement, and we all know how Benning enjoys that with people.

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

That's fair.... maybe they don't see Brackett as having had as much impact as the fan base thinks he has or conversely maybe the 'value' came in the contract offer rather than the position as we don't know what the offer is/was.  

Yes …. but. It's hard to argue with history. I watched and listened to the interplay at the 2018 draft and seems like every decission passed through Brackett

As to entitlement that was success and confidence does to any person in a place of authority. But you don't can him for being too good. Think of players who become legends in their own minds  and act like it, you don't get rid of them because of their attitude

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Brackett was a Linden guy the same as Cloutier was, and look at what happened to Marky once Benning got rid of DC and signed Clarke. And, on that note, look at the team since Linden left.  

It sure does sound like Brackett might have a sense of entitlement, and we all know how Benning enjoys that with people.

Petterson was absolutely a Brackett pick, every report says that Benning had to be convinced to pick him by an intense pressure campaign from Brackett and Hammarstrom.

Brackett had Hughes really high on his list (like #3), but apparently Benning also liked Hayton as much as Hughes.  If Hayton hadn’t gone off the. Sore before we picked, who knows which guy we would have picked.

So suggesting Brackett May have a feeling of entitlement is like saying Petterson has a feeling of being entitled to being on the top line... is it entitlement if you have earned it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, lmm said:

I think I'd sign him as assistant GM with the view to move him into the GM job in the not to distant future

there I said that

He should have got that promotion over that other guy, who I knew 0 about. Where as Brackett is known to be involved in the draft

14 hours ago, lmm said:

It does sound like Brackett is on the outs.

I hear/see a lot of supposition and pure conjecture about this, but I've yet to be presented with one piece of factual information indicating this. 

As far as I can tell theories about Judd being on the 'outs' are as valid as theories that JM doesn't want to be here because he's not signed a team-friendly long-term contract with no clauses yet. 

I'm not saying he's going or staying, just that there's no reason to believe he's on 'bad terms' with the franchise or anyone working in the franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Petterson was absolutely a Brackett pick, every report says that Benning had to be convinced to pick him by an intense pressure campaign from Brackett and Hammarstrom.

This story tells a different version from what you're saying - it quotes Jim Benning himself saying that Delorme was the one who was all over Petey from the beginning - before anyone else in the franchise even saw the kid actually.  Although I can't find them right now, I recall watching videos of JB referring to Delorme as the one who championed Petey from the beginning - Delorme was the one pressuring management/scouting department to keep looking at EP. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-ron-delorme-delivered-first-hard-sell-to-get-elias-pettersson-on-canucks-draft-radar

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Brackett had Hughes really high on his list (like #3), but apparently Benning also liked Hayton as much as Hughes.  If Hayton hadn’t gone off the. Sore before we picked, who knows which guy we would have picked.

So suggesting Brackett May have a feeling of entitlement is like saying Petterson has a feeling of being entitled to being on the top line... is it entitlement if you have earned it?

Can you provide a source that Benning had to be convinced to pick Petterson...Also,can you provide a source that Benning liked Hayton as much as Hughes?

• Like 1

Delorme was the Petterson pick. He was the first guy in the organization to bring him up and was extremely high on him according to Benning.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-ron-delorme-delivered-first-hard-sell-to-get-elias-pettersson-on-canucks-draft-radar

“Ronnie saw him early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us had seen him,” recalled Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “He was in my office and said ‘we’ve really got to watch this guy.’ He loved his skill and hockey sense."

Edited by Junkyard Dog

I think a lot of people are under the assumption that Brackett is the one making all our great picks.

From what I can gather he was involved in implementing their system for drafting not necessarily identifying talent.

Seems like he’s more of the go to guy for deciding on which player to take when. Which is important but if the system is solid they can still draft well without him.

• Cheers 3